Railroad Forums 

• RVL Whitehouse Passing Siding Progress

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#556768  by nick11a

Hung around today around Cushtunk or Tushcunk or whatever the hell it is called.

Few things:

1) While waiting for one of the evening eastbound X-trains from High Bridge to Raritan, I noticed that the signals for the eastern end were illuminated for a good 10-15 minutes before the train came through at close to track speed. I guess these signals are wired differently than most of NJT's Control Point Signals in that they don't have to have a train in the adjacent block to illuminate them when displaying a clear?

2) I was looking at the signals this afternoon. If I were to guess, the only signal aspects you can get on the siding track are: 1) Stop, 2) Restricting, 3) Medium Approach and 4) Limited Clear? Can anybody confirm or correct me on this?

It really is a beautifully done siding with a nice turnout speed, nice track and a good length. Ashame it is not being used to its potential right now. But, down the road I suppose.
 #557052  by Ken W2KB

And of late, there have been a number of complaints from folks living near the siding, that their life has become unbearable due to noise and fumes from trains making use of the siding. Demanding that NJT (1) eliminate it, (2) move it elsewhere, or (3) schedule trains with such precision that no train needs to stop as they pass. If I see any more in the local newspaper, I'll pass it on.
 #557323  by Jtgshu

Ken W2KB wrote:And of late, there have been a number of complaints from folks living near the siding, that their life has become unbearable due to noise and fumes from trains making use of the siding. Demanding that NJT (1) eliminate it, (2) move it elsewhere, or (3) schedule trains with such precision that no train needs to stop as they pass. If I see any more in the local newspaper, I'll pass it on.
Indeed there has been - there are now signs where the trains must wait on the siding for the other trian to pass. No more pulling up to the signal (go figure) - its like roughly in the middle of the siding where the signs are for the trains to stop while waiting for the signal to come up. Just east of the Old Mountain Rd (?) OH bridge (where Nick is taking the pic from) IIRC.

Why NJT didn't either make the siding longer closer to the grade Xing on the west end, I have no idea, but where the like 5 houses are up there are right at pretty the ends of the sidings where the trians would stop........

DOH!

maybe if the folks complain enough, they will double track the line :) hhaahhah
 #557406  by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote:Indeed there has been - there are now signs where the trains must wait on the siding for the other trian to pass. No more pulling up to the signal (go figure) - its like roughly in the middle of the siding where the signs are for the trains to stop while waiting for the signal to come up. Just east of the Old Mountain Rd (?) OH bridge (where Nick is taking the pic from) IIRC.
Hmm, I was wondering what those were. That explains that.
 #735833  by ErieLimited2914

Ken W2KB wrote:And of late, there have been a number of complaints from folks living near the siding, that their life has become unbearable due to noise and fumes from trains making use of the siding. Demanding that NJT (1) eliminate it, (2) move it elsewhere, or (3) schedule trains with such precision that no train needs to stop as they pass. If I see any more in the local newspaper, I'll pass it on.
That's like moving next to an airport and complaining that jets take off next to their house. No one every said that it was going to stay the same for ever. People also put additions on to their house as well. They obviously did it for a reason.
maybe if the folks complain enough, they will double track the line hhaahhah
GOOD LUCK! :-D
 #735936  by blockline4180

northjerseybuff wrote:jees..imagine if they lived on a busy line..how many trains actually use the siding? and none do on weekends..what a bunch of cry-babies

I think rust collects on both tracks on the weekends anyway.
 #735948  by cruiser939

blockline4180 wrote:
northjerseybuff wrote:jees..imagine if they lived on a busy line..how many trains actually use the siding? and none do on weekends..what a bunch of cry-babies

I think rust collects on both tracks on the weekends anyway.
I thought rust was collecting on this thread until ErieLimited decided to make a post...
 #736607  by nick11a

While I'm a huge fan of the Whitehouse Siding, it's a shame that they advertised they needed it to increase service to High Bridge. In reality, their "increased service" is due in no part from the siding. The siding merely allows them to make equipment moves easier and more quickly.
 #736682  by firthorfifth06

Indeed...if the ridership demanded it, I'm sure there would be at least two more off-peak trips to/from High Bridge, maybe even one of the deadheads being a shuttle trip to/from Raritan, like the way the CNJ would run that first morning train out of Hampton. We'll never know unless there's a giant boom out west.