Railroad Forums 

• Route 15

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#2789  by queenlnr8

Seems this topic sprang up on a regular basis, so I decided to resurrect it on the new boards.

I was talking to a Route 36 trolley operator the other day and we got to the subject of Route 15. Now, I don't know if he has all of his information correct, but he said that the thing that is dragging down the [re]opening of the line is the fact that the wheelchair lifts weren't taken in to account then the islands were built and there has to be some modifications to both the islands and the cars so that the lifts can function correctly.

He said that indide SEPTA they are calling for a September (!!!) opening.

#3433  by jfrey40535

From what I've heard from a good source is that service is set to start in Mid-June with whatever PCC's are back and the balance with the LRV's. If all of the PCC's arent back by September then the trolleys will come off and the busses will go back until all cars are ready at the next schedule change.

SEPTA has begun to repair the wires under the Reading RR overpass on Richmond Street, and at their current pace, it should be done in a few weeks.

#3435  by jfrey40535

From what I've heard from a good source is that service is set to start in Mid-June with whatever PCC's are back and the balance with the LRV's. If all of the PCC's arent back by September then the trolleys will come off and the busses will go back until all cars are ready at the next schedule change.

SEPTA has begun to repair the wires under the Reading RR overpass on Richmond Street, and at their current pace, it should be done in a few weeks.

#3645  by Clearfield

I believe the line will run renovated PCC's only for ADA compliance.

#3681  by walt

Rebuilding and using the ADA compliant rebuilt PCC's on Route 15 is a compromise plan. Originally, SEPTA intended to purchase new LRV's for the subway surface lines and to move the current LRV's to Route 15. SEPTA discovered that it couldn't afford new LRV's so they opted to undertake the rebuilding of some of the PCC's they had in storeage.

#3685  by Clearfield

Correct. New LRV's were $3mm each. The rehab cost per PCC is 1.1mm.

Besides, the PCC's look better.

#7873  by Clearfield

The Route 15 will start running with some LRV's in June. Supplementing with buses. More LRV's as they come in from Brookville.

#7890  by queenlnr8

Hey, it's a start, right?

I was just thinking. If the rest of the PCC's are going to be ready by say, the Fourth of July, there ought to be a celebration on the line to innagurate its return to service.

How about running other vintage trolleys that day on the line? ON ALL LINES. FOR FREE. Is there a way to get the restored trolleys from the meseum to the 15? What other vintage trolleys does SEPTA own?

That would be a great way to get the word out and to celebrate this feat on behalf of SEPTA.

#7938  by roverinexile

There was something in the Metro today about Route 15 training, but I didn't get chance to pick up my own copy. Living in Northern Liberties and going up to Girard frequently, I can see it being a disaster, since drivers in the area are so bad. I can only imagine the scene when they have to deal with trolleys as well. I am sure that chaos will ensue, but IMHO it will serve the car drivers right for not being road-savvy.

#7940  by jfrey40535

SEPTA's plan is to start service in June with whatever PCC II's that are around and LRV's. If they don't have all the PCC's back by Sept when school opens, they will bus-stitute and pull ALL the trolleys until the remainder of the cars are back.

There will be no mixing of buses and trolleys. With SEPTA its all or nothing
 #8038  by jsc

jfrey40535 wrote:There will be no mixing of buses and trolleys. With SEPTA its all or nothing
I think you'll agree that is best for this line. Otherwise confusion will ensue; where would you wait for the transit vehicle, on the curb or the island platform? Who knows, because nobody would know what vehicle would be rolling down the street!

There are a few bits of final trackwork being done around the Zoo on 34th and some switchwork out by Lancaster Av. Good time to do it before the trolleys need to be interupted. Lets give some credit here, the 15 is going to be a first rate line when the PCCs finally come back. Could it be better? Probably, but lets look at a few positives; the line will once again be a rail line, it will be ADA complient (never was before), will have transit first signaling (another first) and there will be island platforms (never were before) which will serve the trolleys in their reserved ROW areas. Sure it could be improved, but SEPTA is doing something good for the city here, and someone needs to point that out.

#8055  by queenlnr8

Can the PCC IIs be run MUed?

Also, good point. SEPTA is doing right by the city. Might be the first time, but they are doing some good.

#8081  by Umblehoon

SEPTA is doing right by the city
I'm even going to dare to be optimistic and suggest that maybe, if the 15 proves to be very successful, SEPTA may realize that reactivating the 23 & 56 is a good idea, too!

#8165  by jfrey40535

The wheelchair lifts seem to be something that is making SEPTA want to axe the whole thing though. It will be a major event getting a wheelchair rider onto the trolley. In cases where there is no island platform, the operator will be required to don a orange safety vest, exit the vehicle, open the rear door operate the lift, secure the passenger and then proceed. If any complications arise that require 12 minutes or more, the next trolley in line will be held up which will foul the whole schedule.

#8339  by roverinexile

I hope I'm not being stupid here, but how does the wheelchair user get onto the island platform? Are there ramps built in to them? Remind me to take a look next time.