Railroad Forums 

• Return of Daily LD Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1572671  by STrRedWolf

J.D. Lang wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:16 am
lordsigma12345 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:15 pm Things looking busy for my upcoming journey - my first cross country trip. Coach is sold out and looks like just a couple rooms left. Mr. Norman if you end up seeing #5 on June 12 I will be aboard.
I'll be on #3 June 13th. passing through Mr. Norman's town. Sleepers are sold out as of last week. Coaches 95% sold.

Edit: Mr. Norman, if you're out on the 13th for #3 then "smile you're on candid camera" as my camcorder will be filming our treck through the burbs.
NTS - Bring the GoPro to film out the window when taking a LD -- you may capture a wild Mr. Norman. ;)
 #1572682  by J.D. Lang

My SL roomette is #2 which I think will be on the engineer's side of the train. I don't know which car but they seem to put the sleepers right behind the P42's so us first class ticket holders can enjoy the horn symphony day and night for no extra charge. :( I'll keep an eye out for you and your 4 legged friend and wave. Took a scoot out to Hinsdale back in the eighties to catch the action on the racetrack so I'm pretty familiar with the area.
 #1572726  by electricron

J.D. Lang wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:11 am My SL roomette is #2 which I think will be on the engineer's side of the train. I don't know which car but they seem to put the sleepers right behind the P42's so us first class ticket holders can enjoy the horn symphony day and night for no extra charge. :( I'll keep an eye out for you and your 4 legged friend and wave. Took a scoot out to Hinsdale back in the eighties to catch the action on the racetrack so I'm pretty familiar with the area.
The Sunset Limited usually has a baggage car and a transition sleeper between the locomotive and the first Sunset Limited normal sleeper. If they add an Eagle coach and sleeper to your train in either direction, they are added to the rear of the Sunset Limited.

Whereas most Superliner layout drawings will place the #2 roomette on the left side of the train, there is no guarantee your sleeper will be so, because the car could be reversed and the #2 roomette will be on the right side of the train.
 #1572746  by J.D. Lang

Ron, I'm going to be on train #3 the westbound Southwest Chief. By looking at the Virtual Railfan cams In GBB, Ft. Madison, and Laplata Mo. the lower level window alignment for F. bedroom, handicap bedroom and the bathroom shower shows that my upper level roomette #2 should be on the engineers side. I have superliner car diagrams.
 #1572838  by electricron

J.D. Lang wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:02 am Ron, I'm going to be on train #3 the westbound Southwest Chief. By looking at the Virtual Railfan cams In GBB, Ft. Madison, and Laplata Mo. the lower level window alignment for F. bedroom, handicap bedroom and the bathroom shower shows that my upper level roomette #2 should be on the engineers side. I have superliner car diagrams.
The Chief also usually has a baggage car and transition sleeper before the regular sleeper.
Again, individual cars can be reversed on a train so I would not guarantee the #2 roomette will be on the left or right side of the train in service. it could be one way today and another tomorrow on a different train.
 #1572903  by Gilbert B Norman

Observed:

#5(4); restored frequency:

2 P'42
V-Bagg
T-Dorm
2 "Private Room" cars
Diner
Lounge
2 Coach

30 ML reported dp CHI OT; who knows.
 #1572904  by Gilbert B Norman

Observed - from a distance i.e. my front yard

#3(4) first Friday restored frequency

2 P-42
2 "Private Room"
Diner
Lounge
2 Coach (presume 1 Coach-Bagg)

6 cars

30 ML
 #1572951  by Gilbert B Norman

No doubt, here is the source as to why both #3(4) and #5(4) lost some half hour "out of the gate", also why #4(2) and #6(2) - already late - ended up even later with possible "broken" connections.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/norma ... uxbndlbing

Several METRA trains were simply "annulled".
 #1573017  by Gilbert B Norman

Possibly others are familiar with these videos, but this one - an STL-DAL COVID era ride on #21 Eagle caught my eve in that, even though in most likelihood I've taken my final LD trip, I can only hope things improve for our afficianodos around here post-COVID.

Apparently, the videomaker's Flexichow (he says "good enough") was delivered to his room for his solitary enjoyment. Otherwise, the 370XX Diner Lounge was off limits other than the Snack Bar for purchases.

The "Private Room" cars appeared stripped of any of the few Pre-COVID "amenities", ice, juice, coffee, that remained at "the Beginning". The whole experience simply appeared one resembling an "incarceration".

Beyond that, no comment.
 #1573026  by J.D. Lang

Pretty much the same as my LSL and Cardinal trip last summer. You could eat in the VII diner on the LSL (only me and 2 other people where in there for dinner) or have it delivered to your room. The diner/lounge on 50 was off limits to sit down but you could go in there to buy drinks. I don't know what it will be like on 49 next Sat. when I leave or Sunday when I'm on 3. Sleepers look like they are sold out on both trains. I will miss traditional dining on 3 by 1 week
 #1573131  by Gilbert B Norman

Observed:

#3(7)

2 P-42
2 Pvt Rm
Diner
Lounge
2 Coach
V-Bagg

7 cars

I can't be sure (left my eyes at home), but both Coaches were 34XXX. That means no 310XX Coach Bagg and explains why the 690XX V-Bagg was placed rear, as stations offering checked baggage have become accustomed to having the carts set rear for these trains.
 #1573133  by lordsigma12345

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:46 am Possibly others are familiar with these videos, but this one - an STL-DAL COVID era ride on #21 Eagle caught my eve in that, even though in most likelihood I've taken my final LD trip, I can only hope things improve for our afficianodos around here post-COVID.

Apparently, the videomaker's Flexichow (he says "good enough") was delivered to his room for his solitary enjoyment. Otherwise, the 370XX Diner Lounge was off limits other than the Snack Bar for purchases.

The "Private Room" cars appeared stripped of any of the few Pre-COVID "amenities", ice, juice, coffee, that remained at "the Beginning". The whole experience simply appeared one resembling an "incarceration".

Beyond that, no comment.
Yeah sounds like the Texas eagle is officially the red headed step child of the system now. Glad I am not taking that train on my trip. Even my recent journeys in the east with flex dining I didn’t totally mind it as the VL2 diner makes a nice lounge to socialize in and somewhere to go to get out of the room. I have seen reports that the coffee stations are starting to return as of the last few days - guessing that was a Covid thing.
 #1574493  by Gilbert B Norman

Observed:

#5(25)

2 P-42
Bagg
T-Dorm
2 Pvt Rm
Diner
Lounge
2 Coach

For a full peak season consist, "light" one Coach.

#3(25)

2 P-42
2 Pvt Rm
Diner
Lounge
Coach
Coach-Bagg
Baggage

What astounds me is the absence of the T-Dorm in view of Full Service Dining has apparently been restored.

I am further astounded the Bagg remains placed rear and that a Coach-Bagg is in consist rather than a Coach. Sorry that revenue passenger paying $1000 for a Pvt Rm must listen to the "Amtrak Symphony" performed by the "KSLA Orchestra" all night. :(
 #1579153  by Gilbert B Norman

A "Grand Slam" today on my 59min 2.84mi 6145 step walk.

Observed:

#3(27) OT
#4(25) 60ML
#5(27) OT
#6(25) 45ML

All with their normal consists that I have previously reported here at this topic.