Railroad Forums 

• Remaining Kawasaki Cars South

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1638015  by OldColonyRailfan

Yeah, I just figured that out today, saw 913 on the 2001/1802 set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqt9avtTNr8&t=1s

Soon enough though, all K-Cars will go north. They sure as hell wont send precious older Rotems before all of the Kawasakis are gone from the SS.

In my opinion, we should send every single new Rotem north, leaving only a few south Ex-1828-29, 30-34, the oldest of the new ones(most reliable), etc. And rotate them as needed, seeing as the newer Rotems are the least reliable in the whole pool of Bi-Level equipment in active service.

And the last, I personally favor Kawasakis more than Rotems.
 #1638035  by Commuterrail1050

Not sure of their official name for this but I would imagine whoever is in charge of operations for Keolis decides the consists. Feel free to add it in if you do. Most likely, at least the 1700s will end up north once enough new rotems are southside. From what I heard, they want the newer cars down south and older ones up north. For that reason, that’s why the 1700s are displaced up north and the 1600s are slowly getting stored because of the surplus of double decker control coaches. This is all my opinion and not facts just to be clear.
 #1638041  by OldColonyRailfan

There has been some speculation from John Hannam that a 7xx 1990 series is coming up north for a flat set. I personally argued with this speculation, as the 700s are being kept south for Old Colony Power Door train sets. Again, why send the good cars north and replace them with the bad ones.

If anything, send the rest of the 900s that are south at the beginning of sets to the north side, and replace THEM with new Rotems.
 #1638042  by OldColonyRailfan

Commuterrail1050 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:03 am Most likely, at least the 1700’s will end up north once enough new rotems are southside.
Even some older Rotems are going to have to be sent north to meet the spare requirements. Discussed extensively by me and Eamon in on the Rotem page.
 #1638095  by CRail

It was mentioned to me that Engineer familiarity with the different brake stands had to do with the decision to send K cabs north. Remember, the north side at one time was all 1600s and 1800s. It makes more sense to keep the old Rotems where the new ones will run, and send the cars with the same stands as 1600s where the 1600s still run. As for a 700, there's not really a reason to send those north until there's a surplus of bilevels south. The blind double-deckers on the north side now are only there because they're bathroom cars since most of the German cars are no longer in regular service, and 900s are no-brainers because they aren't compatible with traction interlock. We all know the T's end goal is to eliminate the single level cars. That's when you'll see all or most of the 700s north.
 #1638102  by MBTAVideoClips

I believe John mentioned that the 700 would be there for capacity, and an MBB would be the ADA bathroom car. Nobody knows if this is true, but I think it would be interesting to see. Also, there kind of is a surplus of south bilevels. You've seen the former 4 car sets become 5 cars, the multiple rotem coachesin one set, etc
 #1638104  by OldColonyRailfan

CRail wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:04 am It was mentioned to me that Engineer familiarity with the different brake stands had to do with the decision to send K cabs north. Remember, the north side at one time was all 1600s and 1800s. It makes more sense to keep the old Rotems where the new ones will run, and send the cars with the same stands as 1600s where the 1600s still run.
And the ultimate question if you can answer: will there be any 1700s operating south once all 1600s go? 1700s are the "south side" cars.
 #1638221  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

guys guys guys calm down here, this is getting out of control. The fleet doesn't matter to the company, Keolis...Your understand they are a private operation, for profit operation......these coach numbers mean NOTHING to them, nor who built them. They only look at passenger #'s that can ride and bathrooms as stated by CRail. The flats will get phased out eventually, but that will take time. The 1st generation Rotems suck compared to the Gen 2 operating wise.

You non RR'er's need to take a chill pill and relax. observe, report, and ask at this point until you're hired on the RR and understand how the system works We don't need a post every other day of where a coach or CC is.
 #1638233  by OldColonyRailfan

How are the new Rotems good? I have numerous sources mainly from [names redacted] that the new rotems' windows are drafty, and the OS dont work. [name redacted] said that they constantly have problems with the traction interlock. And to top it all off, [name redacted] said that they run like they are already 5 years old! their only less than 1!
Last edited by CRail on Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total. Reason: If an employee shares information with you, be appreciative and respectful. Do not publicly quote someone who disclosed something in a private conversation.
 #1638507  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

guy....clearly you don't know what you're talking about. Who gives a sh** about windows? It is not the windows that are drafty with the 2nd gen....the draft comes in from the control stand and brake stand when the CC crew door is closed. That is why most of us ride with the CC door open and side crew windows open on the 2nd gen R cars to help with the wind flow thru the coach and avoid the whistling wind

TI is a trainset problem, plenty of factors go into cutting out TI. The 2nd gen R cars are far superior to the 1st batch

you work for the RR? I'd love to read your explanation on how the 1st batch is better
Last edited by CRail on Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
 #1638717  by CSRR573

Quick question, does PM schedule factor into how the sets are made up? I know over in Amtrak-land, we try to keep the 8 car regional sets all on the same PM schedule. Of course, that's harder said than done when a coach gets shopped and replaced with one on a different PM schedule
 #1638747  by CRail

No. Cars needed for 180 day inspections are regularly swapped out of sets at Readville and BET. Control cars are also on 90 day schedules like locomotives so performing service on complete sets wouldn't work anyways.
 #1638781  by CSRR573

Good to know. Also we ever really get the old Metroliner cars up here at SHSY, I can never remember the Amtrak standard our out inspections