Railroad Forums 

• "Acela II" to be capable of 180 mph

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#758755  by Suburban Station

Greg Moore wrote:
patcat88 wrote:
Suburban Station wrote: ah, I'd shoot for 500 then. they should be the workhorses of the corridor, IMO. everyone should enjoy modern railroading (well, maybe noteveryone, but far more people) not just an excursion for the rich. the only way to do that is to offer more of a product and lower average costs. really start to take advantage of rail's strengths. besides, we aren't magically building higway capacity in the northeast and not even air capacity.
The longer/more seats per train, the fewer trains you will run, angering customers. Shorter more frequent trains is an advantage rail has over air. Planes I think have hire per trip costs than trains. Look at the airline industry. We have the 747 and the A380 mega planes, but they aren't used domestically, and the A380 looks like a flop right now. Airlines stick with the 3x3 or 3x2 seat planes. Why? more frequency means happier passengers. We could build 50 car acelas, and run them just twice a day in each direction, same amount of capacity right? But humans aren't freight. You'd quickly find 49 locked off empty cars on your acela train. By the time double deck Acelas (think TGV) are needed, the next generation or 3rd generation acela will have been retired.
I think you're making an assumption that's not necessarily true. I agree that the marginal costs of adding passenger space for a train may be lower. Given that, if you took the existing trainsets and added approximately 20% more capacity, you wouldn't necessarily drive up costs 20%. Which means you can in fact lower prices a bit and keep the fairbox ratio the same, while increasing ridership.

No one is really arguing for FEWER Acela runs, especially not Amtrak.
bingo. I'd argue that it should be more aggressive than one or two more cars. maybe standard ten cars with four sets at fourteen as the target. save the amfleets (or their replacements) for routes that go off corridor (ie VA, Pittsburgh, etc). so with ten cars, two first class, one cafe, seven coaches.
stench707 wrote:Well if the Acelas get retired from NEC service maybe they could move the 20 trainsets to the Harrisburg Line from NYP to Harrisburg via Philly. Don't you think 20 trainsets would cover the Keystone service? If not there could be Keystone Expresses that make limited stops in conjunction with the current regional-type service. If there are low-level platforms then those could be stops they dont stop at or they could be retrofitted with drop down steps or the stations could get some high-levels.

Any thought regarding this idea?

Davis
currently, this seems like the most likely scenario for at least some of the sets. current Keystone service needs maybe ten sets. If the Keystone East is funded and top speeds are raised to 125 mph it could make some sense. Currently, Harrisburg and Lancaster are the only HLP's but I believe Elizabethtown, currently being renovated, is getting them. Mt. Joy and Middletown arein design phase but hopefully they go with HLP's as well. Paoli is, at some point, supposed to become HLP with center island platforms. that leaves Downingtown, Exton, Ardmore, Coatesville, and Parkesburg. the first three are shared with SEPTA. It's possible Coatesville will be too. that means HLP's could make sense for these locations at some point in the future to make them ADA compliant. Especially if parking is expanded at Exton as planned. In order to use all 20 you'd expect that the line has been electrified to Pittsburgh, as has been hinted at recently, but that will be pending a study that's part of the Keystone HSR submission. If VA electrifies, maybe run ten of them to richmond. If Amtrak electrifies the Springfield line, maybe they could run Harrisburg to Springfield
 #758795  by Nasadowsk

Suburban Station wrote: bingo. I'd argue that it should be more aggressive than one or two more cars. maybe standard ten cars with four sets at fourteen as the target. save the amfleets (or their replacements) for routes that go off corridor (ie VA, Pittsburgh, etc). so with ten cars, two first class, one cafe, seven coaches.
There's nowhere to platform 14 car trains, and even with two locomotives, the Acela's underpowered for an HST (AFAIK, only the Pendolinos have a worse HP:weight ratio, though they're a 3kv DC train). It barely spends time at 150, as it is. Adding another 4 cars would just make it slower, meaning longer trip times, and fewer riders.

Amntrak should give up on expanding/refurbishing/upgrading the Acelas. It was a failed experiment (technically, it's been a commercial success, but given how ratty the amfleets were back then, ANY new train would have been), and it's time to move on to a real HST that's actually suited for the NEC.
 #758905  by Nasadowsk

george matthews wrote:
(AFAIK, only the Pendolinos have a worse HP:weight ratio, though they're a 3kv DC train).
In Italy and Poland, perhaps.

Not in Britain.
But the 25kv system you guys have didn't seem to help things out. I'm not sure why - even in your loading gauge, you should be able to get a nice amount of punch in there. Then again, wiki says they're 1A'A1'+1A'A1'+2'2'+1A'A1'+2'2'+1A'A1+2'2'+1A'A1+1A'A1, and 5100 kW. That's almost 570 HP per axle (!).

In any case:
Acela:
624 tons = 566 tonnes
12300 hp = 9200 kW
304 seats
Power car + 6 coaches + power car

UK Class 390:
513 = 466 tonnes
6839 hp = 5100 kW
439 seats
1A'A1'+1A'A1'+2'2'+1A'A1'+2'2'+1A'A1+2'2'+1A'A1+1A'A1

FWIW, the ETR 480 is 6000 kW for a 409 tonne package.

Thus:
Acela: 16.25 kW:tonne
Class 390: 10.95 kW:tonne (!)
ETR 480: 14.66 kW:tonne

FWIW:
Shinkansen N700: 17,080 kW : 715 tonne (16 car set - 44.68 tonnes / 98,000lb per car!) - 23.88 kW:tonne
TGVs run 16.7 (PSE) to 24.2 (POS)

So, the Acela's got a power output of a French HST of the 70's, but beats an Italian train, but gets clobbered by a newer TGV. And a Shinkansen's cars are lighter than an NJT Comet, despite being EMUs... I suspect it's the design of the Pendolino, though - the motors are body mounted and driving only single axles. I don't know why they have so many trailers - I suspect that those are where the transformers or inverters are mounted.

(anyone got the numbers for the classs 395, ICE, etc?)
 #758907  by Kaback9

Why not a design like the ICE 3 series plus? The trains are very nice and comfortable, yes they had that problem last year but I believe it was resolved.
 #758926  by Suburban Station

Nasadowsk wrote: There's nowhere to platform 14 car trains, and even with two locomotives, the Acela's underpowered for an HST (AFAIK, only the Pendolinos have a worse HP:weight ratio, though they're a 3kv DC train). It barely spends time at 150, as it is. Adding another 4 cars would just make it slower, meaning longer trip times, and fewer riders.

Amntrak should give up on expanding/refurbishing/upgrading the Acelas. It was a failed experiment (technically, it's been a commercial success, but given how ratty the amfleets were back then, ANY new train would have been), and it's time to move on to a real HST that's actually suited for the NEC.
I'm pretty sure Philly, NY, and Washington used to accommodate trains of that length (and probably Baltimore and boston), I don't see why not again. And yes, I thought we were talking about Acela replacements (whatever they are called)..hence the discussion on where the Acela's might go. Still, it's my understanding that the current acela power cars were built for ten car trains.
 #758980  by george matthews

Kaback9 wrote:Why not a design like the ICE 3 series plus? The trains are very nice and comfortable, yes they had that problem last year but I believe it was resolved.
It's the Track. Track first, then better trains. (And better electrical systems, too.)
 #759031  by Matt Johnson

Kaback9 wrote:Why not a design like the ICE 3 series plus? The trains are very nice and comfortable, yes they had that problem last year but I believe it was resolved.
The ICE 3 based Velaro is in use in China, Russia, Spain, and perhaps a couple of other countries now. There's even talk of Deutsche Bahn running ICE 3's into London (currently they go as far as Paris). I rode aboard an ICE 3 in 2003 from Munich to Cologne, and then Cologne - Basel. It is a nice train, but of course lacks a tilt mechanism. The slower, somewhat similar looking ICE-T uses the same Fiat designed tilt mechanism as the Pendolino, as I recall.

Here's a video someone posted of the 150 mph stretch through Rhode Island. It doesn't last a whole lot longer than that vid, and there's another 150 stretch north of Providence that is a mere 10 miles long. So yes, I will concede that a train with higher curve speeds makes more sense than worrying about going above 150 mph on the existing right of way.
 #760037  by TREnecNYP

The tracks between monmouth jct & hamilton are fairly straight & have been referred to by PRR folks in its day as a "speedway".... Also, the section between levittown & philly has loose enough curves to be a non-issue.

- A
 #760106  by Jishnu

Nasadowsk wrote: There's nowhere to platform 14 car trains,
Are you sure about that? At least Metropark can now platform 14 car trains quite easily with space to spare.
 #760159  by amtrakowitz

george matthews wrote:
It's the Track. Track first, then better trains. (And better electrical systems, too.)
Not just the track. IINM, the FRA doesn't allow passengers to be carried in the forward power car of a train that's going faster than 125 mph. So that knocks the Siemens Velaro, and even its tilting twin the Venturio (more suited for the NEC, because the Velaro does not tilt), out of consideration.
Jishnu wrote:
Nasadowsk wrote:There's nowhere to platform 14 car trains
Are you sure about that? At least Metropark can now platform 14 car trains quite easily with space to spare
No platform-shortening projects have occurred at stations like NYP, NWK, TRE, PHL or any other station on the NEC where Amtrak used to stop 16-car LD trains and its predecessor(s) platformed trains as long as 20-25 cars, so even coupling two unlengthened Acela trainsets together, you'd have lots of room to spare on the platform(s).
 #760535  by Jishnu

Matt Johnson wrote:Well, Newark has had a platform shortening project of sorts, with the crumbling south end of the station being roped off! ;)
But it can still handle 14 car trains without touching the roped off portion of the station.
 #760615  by Suburban Station

Jishnu wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:Well, Newark has had a platform shortening project of sorts, with the crumbling south end of the station being roped off! ;)
But it can still handle 14 car trains without touching the roped off portion of the station.
which isn't the same as no platforms of that length