Railroad Forums 

• PRR Elmira Branch bridge in Flint destroyed by truck 6/30/10

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#823024  by rls62

bwparker1 wrote:Bummer, I just drove under that a few weeks ago.... such a cool bridge with the concrete supports tucked into the forest on either side...
My thoughts exactly, except I haven't driven under it in a few years. I'm hopeful that the bridge can be placed back on its concrete supports.
 #823424  by lvrr325

Maybe, if the bridge could be repaired, but who knows. Those who travel NY-690 just north/west of the I-90 interchange may notice a lump on the south/west side which was an active road overpass until a truck hit one side of it and damaged it. They removed it and abandoned the road leading up to it. And the footbridge closer to Syracuse, again hit by a truck much more recently, hasn't even been removed, for more than a year it sits fenced off with only the portion that was knocked down, gone.
 #823454  by CPSD40-2

This was the Elmira Branch bridge. The through-girder bridge in Aloquin is still standing. Just goes to show - if you see a piece of railroad history you like, document it. You never know when it will cease to exist.

The DOT is likely jumping for joy that this happened, as it is one less clearance headache on that stretch of highway.
 #823665  by roadster

Since the bridge was an abandoned RR bridge, now only serving as a scenic foot bridge. The Ins. company would most likely only cover the cost of removal of the damaged section to allow restoration of highway service, and emergency services costs. The Pathway aganecy may seek a civil suit to cover replacement if they desired. But, that would most likely get bogged down for years in expensive court proceedings. A tempoary footpath bypass down around the gap and back up the other side I think would be the quickest and least costly way to restore the pathway. What a shame.
 #825937  by Lehighton_Man

Living within the Area, there is no possible way to create a detour around the area, unless the Trailways program purchases new land to construct a wooden footbridge over Flint Creek. Additionally, Flint Creek in that area, is too wide to even work around. Only other cure to the situation would be to create a lengthy detour around over a large area to re-connect the trails.

Sean
 #826299  by lvrr325

All that was knocked down was one segment of bridge over the highway, not the whole thing.

Really to make a bridge that could carry foot traffic, bikes and the like, might not be that expensive. It could be as simple as torching off a length of an old flat car -
 #826480  by roadster

Besides the cost factor which as I mentioned before would most likely get caught up in litigation for a few years. You also have to deal with DOT to obtain permits to rebuild/replace the structure. As the original was a clearance hazard to begin with. That in itself may prove difficult. The actual construction is the easy part. The bureaucracy involved, well let's just say the "b" word says it all.
On a side note, has anyone spoke with the Ontario Pathways people to see what they are thinking?