Railroad Forums 

• PRR Elmira Branch bridge in Flint destroyed by truck 6/30/10

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#826902  by DonPevsner

The owner has an excellent case against the truck owner, which doubtless has a fat liability-insurance policy. It should promptly contact the trucker's insurance carrier and threaten to sue unless it receives a settlement that is sufficient to replace the bridge, in good shape, across US 5/20.

Does anyone know who is the actual current owner of the bridge, as well as the current owner of the abandoned PRR ROW that was once its Elmira Branch in that area? "Ontario Pathways"? (Any details on this group?)
 #826922  by Alloy

Roadster wrote:
You also have to deal with DOT to obtain permits to rebuild/replace the structure. As the original was a clearance hazard to begin with. That in itself may prove difficult. The actual construction is the easy part.
Aye, there's the rub: "The original was a clearance hazard." Replacing it is not going to mean replacing it "as is," but replacing it as it needs to be to get the necessary permits. The trucking company insurance carrier is not going to want to pay all the extra millions that it's going to take to ramp up both sides of the trail to get the necessary clearance. Litigation will begin.

Is there a chance that a compromise would involve a settlement for the cost of the 'easy construction' already mentioned, with Ontario Pathways or a city/state/federal agency picking up the extra cost of making it 'street legal'? I know, I know, there's no money in any municipal, state, or federal fund right now, but is this a way out that's been used before in these kinds of situations? It's not exactly novel that damage to an existing structure involves way more expense to duplicate the original.
 #827715  by sd80mac

roadster wrote:Besides the cost factor which as I mentioned before would most likely get caught up in litigation for a few years. You also have to deal with DOT to obtain permits to rebuild/replace the structure. As the original was a clearance hazard to begin with. That in itself may prove difficult. The actual construction is the easy part. The bureaucracy involved, well let's just say the "b" word says it all.
On a side note, has anyone spoke with the Ontario Pathways people to see what they are thinking?
State doesn't have $$ anyway... they had to shelf a lot of projects lately...
 #827877  by RailKevin

The previous bridge was already at the Statutory Height of 14' 0", so any replacement would not need to be raised in elevation.

A reverse angle photo (as opposed to the one on the previous page) in the D&C paper showed a large farm tractor with the front and top sides smashed all to heck. The photo on the previous page shows what appears to me to be a "straight truck" with a tank (maybe the source of the spilled chemicals). It is possible that the accident was caused by a "farm-related" truck pulling a trailer with a tractor on it. If so, perhaps there is a farmer out there with a red face (and not from sunburn). :P
 #827913  by scharnhorst

I think it was a large crop sprayer them things got what about 5 or 6 foot of clearence under them things?? plus anouther 5 or 6 feet with the cab on it? I bet it could have made it under the bridge with no trouble if it was not being moved on the truck. Which looks to be a drop deck style or low boy trailer used to move construction equipment.
 #866004  by WNYRailfan

CPSD40-2 wrote:This was the Elmira Branch bridge. The through-girder bridge in Aloquin is still standing. Just goes to show - if you see a piece of railroad history you like, document it. You never know when it will cease to exist.
I learned the documentation lesson long ago. So here are pictures from 2003 when I photographed the bridge.
http://community.webshots.com/album/578904971YDEcwU

Enjoy.