Railroad Forums 

• operating rr turntables in the usa

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#471075  by E-44

DutchRailnut wrote:if its OOS its not a operating turntable right ??
Correction: The museum's TT is in operating condition. The TT at the ex-UP shops was supplanted by the transfer platform when the roundhouse was taken down. It is, however, intact and operable but not in use, which I guess places it somewhere in between OOS and operable.

I believe that the indoors turntable at the B&O museum in Baltimore is also operable.

#471106  by Wanderer

E-44 wrote:I believe that the indoors turntable at the B&O museum in Baltimore is also operable.
The turntable at the B&O museum is functioning once again. It's also a unique design, being a non-mechanical, full enclosed, wooden passenger car turntable.

#471356  by Off Pending

PRSL2005 wrote: Enola Pa
You sure about that one in Enola? I've had to bring power of the pit in Enola quite a few times, and don't ever remember seeing a turntable there.

There was one in Conway, PA some time ago ... don't know if it's still there or not.

#471364  by Jayjay1213

Yup, still one in Enola. It is back there behind the shops on the east end of the diesel outbound. It is not used very often, but occasionally something goes for a spin :wink:

#471380  by steemtrayn

A railroad museum in Savannah, GA has a turntable.

Also, aerial views of the turntable in Oyster Bay, LI, NY show that it no longer has tracks connected to it,

#471384  by Otto Vondrak

[Moved to General Discussion: Railroad Operations and Facilities because this very broad question is not limited to only New Jersey - omv]

#471417  by Nukengineer

WSOR has one in Janesville WI at their rondhouse. I have to check, but I think it dates back to the early 1900's

There's one in North Creek NY at a tourist operation. UHRR maybe? They restored it about 5 years ago.

#471534  by Orgnoi1

Upper Hudson River RR in North Creek, NY and soon to be Connecticut Eastern RR Museum...

#471814  by Noel Weaver

Burlington, Vermont; Saint Albans, Vermont and Bellows Falls, Vermont
although the Bellows Falls facility is just across the river in New Hampshire
in Walpole maybe.
A few years ago there were quite a few turntables remaining in Maine
especially on the former Bangor and Aroostook, I wonder how many of
them remain today?
Noel Weaver

#471888  by Off Pending

Jayjay1213 wrote:Yup, still one in Enola. It is back there behind the shops on the east end of the diesel outbound. It is not used very often, but occasionally something goes for a spin :wink:
Thanks for the info Jayjay ... I don't get over there very often. I try to avoid Enola as much as I hate going into Oak Island.

#471947  by CN_Hogger

BNSF's Clyde Diesel Facility in Cicero, IL(Chicago) has one as does the CN (IC) Woodcrest facility.

#472101  by metman499

CP has one in Bingo.
WMSR in Frostburg.

#472612  by GOLDEN-ARM

Clovis, N.M. has the Santa Fe one there. Brooklynn Yard, in Portland. Oregon Electric Yard, in Albany, Or. BNSF in Silsbee, Tx. (now Timber Rock) Soo Line Shoreham Shops, Minn., Mn. are a few not listed, that come to mind.

#472900  by BradE

The Union Railroad in Pittsburgh, PA has a turntable at our Hall roundhouse.

It is operational and in service.
 #472901  by bml1149

Regarding operating turntables, or at least turntables that are still in place in the state of Maine that I know of:
Rigby, So. Portland
Waterville
Rumford
Bucksport
Calias(Non operating)
Unity(armstrong)
As far as the old B&A, I don't get up to that part of the state enough to keep up with the changes, so I can't answer that one.
Leverett Fernald