Railroad Forums 

• operating rr turntables in the usa

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#473021  by Jayjay1213

No operating turntable at Rigby, you can cross that one of your list :(

#473722  by NV290

Jayjay1213 wrote:No operating turntable at Rigby, you can cross that one of your list :(
Yes and no. While it no longer operates off of electricity, it is still used very often, but it's moved with a front end loader.

And there is an operating turntable at the Guilford East Deerfield MA engine house.

#474419  by Jayjay1213

When did you see it last used? I worked out of Rigby from 11/05-4/06 and we didn't use it once, I do not even recall the leads being in service.

#474502  by NV290

Jayjay1213 wrote:When did you see it last used? I worked out of Rigby from 11/05-4/06 and we didn't use it once, I do not even recall the leads being in service.
MOW forces use it for track equipment, such as Tampers, Ballast Regulators, etc. They still store them in the roundhouse. I have not seen any loco's on it in awhile though.

#474529  by PRRGuy

Active Turntables in the Chicago Area include:

CSX-Barr Yard (Riverdale, IL)
IHB-Gibson Yard (Hammond,IN)
EJ&E Kirk Yard (Gary,IN)

#475115  by GOLDEN-ARM

Is the air powered table still in use, at Mattawaumkeag? We used to run a loco onto it, hook up the MR hose, open the valve, and go putt-putt-putt around to turn our power, in the mid 80's.