Railroad Forums 

• Baltimore area questions

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#420275  by gprimr1

1.) I've noticed lately that along the CSX Capital and Baltimore terminal, there are now 4 signals operational northbound. 3 of them are normal signals with D on them because of the MARC Camden line. On the right (looking north) there is one signal that is not marked with a D and is constantly green over red. What's up with that?

2.) Anyone here participating in the train warning testing going on with CSX and MARC Tuesday in Rockville?
 #420585  by CSX Conductor

gprimr1 wrote:1.) I've noticed lately that along the CSX Capital and Baltimore terminal, there are now 4 signals operational northbound. 3 of them are normal signals with D on them because of the MARC Camden line. On the right (looking north) there is one signal that is not marked with a D and is constantly green over red. What's up with that?
The yellow sign with a black "D" on it is a Distant Signal Marker, which means it is the distant signal to the next interlocking. The signal without a "D" may be an interlocking signal, not sure as I am not familiar with the area which you are asking about. If it is an interlocking, it may always be green & red, (Limited Clear,Medium Clear, or Slow Clear....depending on if one is flashing or not) it may be because the dispatcher "fleeted" the signal which means as soon as a train is clear of the block the signal will automatically go back in.

#420835  by MNRR_RTC

Could the signal be an automatic and not an intelocking? Automatic signals cycle themselves when a train takes and knocks it to a stop and proceed (the most restrictive signal an automatic can display).

#420851  by blippo

You have to give more information what location your talking about, St. Denis, Landsdowne, where.