Railroad Forums 

• Exploring NS/Amtrak in Depew and the West Shore

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#16556  by nessman

Isn't that trestle right off Transit Road?

#16645  by smph50

Hi Les! Yup, thats the one. I'm told there was a serious accident in the 50's when the switch was left open ( or opened? ) and a DL&W freight ran down the siding and off the end of the trestle right onto Transit Road. The locomotive(s) fell on top of a passing car and killed the occupants. The Medina Railroad Museum is supposed to have a photo of it. I'll let you know if I find out more. S' Scott

#18545  by SST

I tried to post this the other day but it didn't work so here it is today.

As I "reported" in my original post, there were poles on a flat bed on Sonwil drive with concrete foundations nearby. I thought they would be for street signage or rail signals of some sort. Way off base. And I can't believe I didn't figure it out.

I just went through the area a few days ago and as I came around the corner, the poles are up. A latter is attached to the pole and a platform is at the top. Both sides of the WS have these poles. After looking at them it suddenly dawned on me that these are for the approach lights for the runway improvement project for runways 14/32 at the Buffalo Airport. As I rode down Sonwil there is a third tower on the other side of the warehouse. They are all aligned with the centerline to Runway 32. DUH!

I can't wait till they close the main runway and divert traffic to the other runway. I'll have nearly a front row seat to arriving and departing traffic.