Railroad Forums 

• Exploring NS/Amtrak in Depew and the West Shore

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#13497  by SST

After flying last night I decided to do some ground exploration. Dragged out the bike and headed to Amtrak Depew. I picked up the West Shore and followed that into the Sonwil [NYC] track to see if there was any activity. None to report. Looks like the new road for the Genesee/Sugg intersection is moving along. There is a trailer flat bed with poles on them that either will be for signs, traffic signals or railroad signals. The wiring is in place in the concrete foundations but nothing has been assembled. The track has not been disturbed….yet.

While pedaling my way to Amtrak I realized I haven’t checked out the bridges being installed on the NS line over Broadway. Finding a spot to view the area here’s what I found. The current layout of the rails has not changed. Coming from the Bison yard, the DL&W track still goes over its original bridge and is jointed rail. The parallel track is welded rail and joins and replaces the DL&W rails going across the bridge. After the bridge the welded rail goes to the right and the jointed DL&W rail resumes. As for the ERIE/NS main, that bends towards and then parallels the DL&W as it crosses the DL&W bridge and then goes moves to the right to pick up the original row.

They have currently installed two new bridges. I don’t know if any rails or ties are on the bridges. Without busting some serious rail property issues I couldn’t see them. I doubt it though. The ground around the bridges is currently being built up. Dump trucks were bringing in fill. I would guess they have to raise the ground level by 7 feet. This is on the east side of Broadway. Nothing being done on the west side yet.

I then hung out at Amtrak and caught a few trains. They were moving traffic westbound on the eastbound track. The rush I get when those trains pass the station only 5 feet away moving at 40 or 50mph. As those piggy back cars go by, you gotta really trust the train crews and hope they’ve done there job in chaining/locking those trailers down. Even though I was standing behind the yellow line, if one of those trailers came off the car, there ain’t no way me or anyone would survive.

Coming home I came down the West Shore from Dick Rd. I ended up walking much of it because of the ballast. The former Peter J. Schmidt warehouse must have had some upgrading to its sewer/drainage system. Someone cut a 50 foot section out of the single track section and didn’t replace it. Just threw everything into a pile. They still have a rail siding with rails from the garage to the edge of its property. After that, it’s ripped up.

I always wondered how far the crews come up the western wye along Sonwil so I explored that too. The farthest they come is to the driveway entrance to the test track behind Veridian [Calspan] as evidence of fresh sand on the rails. There is also a tree growing in the row on the opposite side of the driveway. Actually, the rails and switches are set up that they could get all the way to P.J. Schmidt if all the obstructions weren’t in the way. Many of the ties look pretty bad though. Probably be crushed under the weight of a train.

I was going to venture to the Frontier Yard today but the wind is really strong and I didn’t feel like butting heads with it. Next time.
 #13600  by nessman

SST wrote:I then hung out at Amtrak and caught a few trains. They were moving traffic westbound on the eastbound track. The rush I get when those trains pass the station only 5 feet away moving at 40 or 50mph. As those piggy back cars go by, you gotta really trust the train crews and hope they’ve done there job in chaining/locking those trailers down. Even though I was standing behind the yellow line, if one of those trailers came off the car, there ain’t no way me or anyone would survive.
What you really need to watch out for is any metal banding they use to secure lumber loads that may have gotten loose. Get hit by one of those things at 50 MPH and your day would certainly be ruined.

#13601  by SimTrains

Hey SST, I must have just missed you! I was out there later in the day. I started out at the remains of old Niagara Junction, made my way up to the Depew station, then up to frontier yard. I had been waiting now for months to explore NJ, and with all the rain lately I just said heck with it. I put on some heavy boots and went exploring. I'll have pic's up on my web site in a few days.

#13653  by SST

What time were you there? I was there around 12 noon. There were two other railfans there. One was an older man who had a scanner. I was standing with my bike.

The embankment leading up to the DL&W row on the north side of Broadway is very soaked. If it were any steeper I would forecast a mud slide. I couldn't even get the mountain bike through it.

I haven't been to Niagara Jct in probably 5 years. I remember walking the LV going under the ERIE and it was pretty soaked even in the middle of Summer.

#13679  by SimTrains

I was just getting to NJ around 1 or 1:30. Most of NJ is under water, I expected that because we are just coming off winter, and it has been raining. But all the pictures I have seen show the old ROW going under the NS bridge and the DL&W bridge as under water. I was most amazed to find the foundation to one of the towers there, and the cement stairs at the foot of the building are intact. Some type of old concrete post, probably a signal post, still stands. Hundreds of broken ties everywhere, and a few miscellaneous pieces of scrap metal. One thing I did not see any of though was rail, or spikes. I was assuming that there would be the occasional piece or two of rail laying around, and hundreds of spikes. I guess whoever ripped out the tracks did a good job.

#13682  by nessman

With scrap metal going for $150/ton, they're sure to pick up every last piece they can find along the ROW. Roughly translated, each 39' stick of 105 lb rail will fetch about $100 and more for the heavier stuff.

Would you leave a pile of $100 bills laying around? I didn't think so!

#13885  by SST

Don't give up on finding anything in that area. Most of it is probably under water and hasn't worked its way back to the surface yet. I live very near the LVRR Niagara Falls branch at Genesee St and I continue to randomly find "stuff." I've found spikes, tie plate, nuts and bolts and an odd piece that I think may be from a switch.

They start working on the golf course early next month. It looks like the LV will be flattened out so I have to get out there and really "groom" the row for any thing that might still be there. There will be at least two fairways sitting on the LV.

Keep walk'in it and eventually you'll find something. I've never been disappointed yet.
 #14052  by WNYRailfan

I have been in Buffalo for 4 years and have never been to Niagara Junction. I graduate from UB on 5/8, so after that I hope to explore that area.

How do I access the former Niagara Junction?

Someone mentioned before to travel south on Transit road past the first rail bridges and turn right into the driveway.

#14062  by SimTrains

Ya know what, after exploring it for the first time the other day, I found a much much easier way (if you don't mind crossing the CSX main line). I'm not sure of the exact location, but if you are going west on Walden, heading towards the Depew, NY station, there is some type of business along walden, where if you park in back of it you are right there at NJ. However, as I said above, you would then have to cross the main line on foot. I know it is trespassing, but hey, walking around in NJ is trespassing anyway, so cool it! The next time I drive by there I will tell you what business it is, or what the building looks like.

The other way is at Walden & Transit, head south for just a few feet, and it is the first "road" on your right. (Coming form the south on transit, it is just after the third bridge you go under, on the left) Go down the road untile the water puddles force you to hike it. Should be right by a massive abandoned tank of some type. The worst part of the hike is the water, I knew it would be bad, so i wore heavy boots. I imagine if you go in the middle of summer, during a hot spell, it won't be hearly as worse. You can't miss it.
But I still believe that parking behind that building on Walden is the best way!

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image. ... 2&z=17&w=1

#14565  by SST

The access road from Transit is something I never checked out. That will be my next adventure. There is another way to access NJ and thats from Gould Ave off of Transit Rd.

Head south on Transit Rd from Walden and it's the first road immediately following the NS line on the right. Go all the way to the end and you'll end up in the firemens park. You would have to walk across the NS main so you would be trespassing.

Speaking of Walden and Transit: If you're standing at the intersection and looking south, there is a wooden trestle or siding along the north side of CSX main and on the east side of Transit. I was wondering, is this a former bridge crossing or just an extended elevated siding? Been there forever as far as I know. I've looked at that everytime I go by it, even long before I was interested in trains.

#14587  by SimTrains

LOL, SST YOU READ MY MIND! Every time I go by that thing I say to myself, I am going to ask on railroad.net what that thing is, and I always forget! I tried exploring it once a year ago, but got side tracked by NS trains pasing by. Now I will have to check it out!!! I have never actually asked anybody, but I bleave it may have been a coal tressel. Many many years ago, during the steam era. The problem with the area is that you can't get into the junk yard that the tressel comes from, and the only other way is by walking down the NS line from maybe Penora St. ? My terraserver satelite images don't help mutch, the resolutuon isn't that good to see what is going on there exactly.

#15181  by smph50

Hey Dan and Adam! I myself was sloshing around Niagara Jct. on Tuesday! Small world!
:D but I bleave it may have been a coal tressel. Many many years ago, during the steam era.
Adam is correct. The wood trestle was the unloading point for the "Depew Coal Company" from the Lehigh Valley. Trucks would back under the trestle for loading right from the gondola's above. When I started teaching at Depew, the building was still there in the late 70's way before Caseys Truck Salvage moved in. There are so many of these old building that are gone now that I took for granted that I never photographed. :( I too have looked for scrap but its like they used a magnet to suck up every bit of metal. I was lucky to get one of these before it got tossed into a dump truck in 1979? Somebody also in Lancaster got the "Dual Blades" in the background! Maybe one day we'll all run into each other at the same time! :P S' Scott H.

#15414  by SimTrains

sounds cool, where exactly was this picture taken??

#15425  by joshuahouse

I know what you mean about being disapointed about buildings you never took the time to photograph. I photograph wall advertisement, and theres a barn that i always said, i'll get it the next time I come through thats just been torn down. :(

#16478  by smph50

Hi All! I had my glasses on upsidedown when I was counting bridges. The coal trestle was part of the old exx Lackawanna, ex Delaware, Lackawanna and Western, now DL&W - the Depew, Lancaster & Western. Not the Lehigh as I had mentioned before. The three shots below show the STILL active switch from the DL&W. In fact they call it "Trestle Switch". They can still spot two cars on the part where the ties are still good. Walking further west (LaFarge Concrete Towers in the background) you can see how the track deteriorates. The wood of the trestle is almost gone! This is in front of Caseys Truck Salvage. Also, the name of the owner of the Depew Coal Company was larger and above the name on the building. I'm searching for photo's of it. S' Scott H.