• M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Nasadowsk

The (unconfirmed) rumor I heard is that the MTA is basically done with Bombardier and Kawasaki.

Who gets the next orders? Who knows? Alstom has a facility in NY state, as does CAF.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Kawasaki did pick up the slack on the R211s and the base order will be complete in time for 8th Avenue CBTC cutover in 2025.
  by Head-end View

Nasadowsk wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:32 pm The (unconfirmed) rumor I heard is that the MTA is basically done with Bombardier and Kawasaki.

Who gets the next orders? Who knows? Alstom has a facility in NY state, as does CAF.
What's interesting is that the Bombardier built LIRR M-7's (despite their excessive weight which you commented on many years ago) have proven to be very reliable equipment. I rarely hear engineers radioing in to the dispatchers about equipment problems with them, as compared to it being a daily occurrence years ago with the M-1 trains. Too bad that Bombardier lost their way in the later years.
  by Head-end View

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 4:43 pm Kawasaki did pick up the slack on the R211s and the base order will be complete in time for 8th Avenue CBTC cutover in 2025.
Until recently Kawasaki had a good reputation. As far as I know they did a good job building PATH's fleet of PA-5 trains. Not aware of any serious problems with them .
  by Nasadowsk

Now living somewhat south of I-80 in PA, I do see BART cars going around the Buckhorn area, both west AND east. Warranty repairs? I don’t know, but they do go both ways.
  by RandallW

Alstom is completing an order for new BART cars (I think there are ~30 more cars to be delivered) and BART has just retired its fleet of original cars, so you likely see new cars going west to be delivered and retired cars going east to be scrapped.
  by gamer4616

I rarely hear engineers radioing in to the dispatchers about equipment problems with them, as compared to it being a daily occurrence years ago with the M-1 trains.
There has been quite a bit of equipment trouble with the M7's as of late. Communications have been an issue. There's been an increase in the Public Address, Intercom, and Automated Station announcements not working throughout the entire train. But, if the train can move, it will be used in service.

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinion of the MTA.
  by Head-end View

Interesting! I did not know that. But it's still not as serious as on the M-1's years ago with engineers regularly calling 204 reporting "can't get a release" and "can't get a door light". I heard that so many times, I practically had the troubleshooting procedure memorized. LOL

Re: the communications issues, I predicted when these cars were new that this would eventually happen with all this software based stuff. All those features were great when they worked but when they get old after twenty years and stuff starts wearing out.....

I have made the same predictions re: the lighted progressive station stop maps on the latest NYC subway trains. Time will tell.