Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1610938  by JohnFromJersey

JoeSchmoe69 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:57 pm Small Backhoe Parked on Railroad Ave in Farmingdale by where the South Leg of the Wye was. There is now a path from the street along the track and you can see the old rails from the road Image
I believe it was rumored that work on the FIT-SOUS would begin in December of this year. Well, we are almost in December...
cx4storm wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:01 pm https://thelakewoodscoop.com/news/lakew ... rustrated/
Aren't crossings the responsibility of the county?
 #1610940  by cx4storm

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that responsibility lies with a New Jersey State agency (DOT?). I'm sure on of the more knowledgeable members here will provide accurate information.
Last edited by cx4storm on Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1610941  by R&DB

#1610921 by JoeSchmoe69
Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:57 pm
There was never a wye there. It looks like your pic is looking Northwest up the FIT. (formerly the Freehold amd Jamesburg) Just behind the camera this line crossed the Sous at a diamond and continued to Manasquan.
 #1610970  by GSC

Back when Gold Lumber was still in operation, Conrail would sometimes park an engine or two on the track in the picture. Just clear of the switch from the interchange track, not to the end at the road. Pretty well hidden in the "tunnel of trees" when they did it.
 #1610980  by CharlieL

JoeSchmoe69 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:57 pm Small Backhoe Parked on Railroad Ave in Farmingdale by where the South Leg of the Wye was. There is now a path from the street along the track and you can see the old rails from the road Image
I wouldn't get too excited; that same backhoe was working up to earlier this week at the other MRRSA pad on Southard Rd. at Gold's lumber. They've been working on and off at those 2 pads and probably others for some time, possibly putting monitoring equipment or pumps.
 #1611050  by jrzwalker86

I was stuck on County Rt. 524/547 several years ago in a traffic jam (as the result of the Parkway being closed southbound at exit 98) toward Lakewood. Right before where the Freehold and Jamesburg tracks crossed over I noticed there were still rails in place going toward Freehold. How long that section goes toward the former CNJ tracks I do not know.
 #1611071  by Tanker1497

If you ever wonder what's back along the Fit where this above picture was taken, this is a 14 minute video of a guy I follow on youtube, His commentary is a bit hard to take but you get to see what once was a small yard that ran along side the cut off for Freehold. The first picture of track (barely) is 4:56 and I think that is the line tru the diamond to Manasquan. It may also be at 6:19 had to keep up with his spinning about. But you can clearly see the cement building at 7:16. No need to wonder what back in the woods!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pINUu1fzk10
 #1611078  by CharlieL

If you go back about a year on the southern secondary thread, they apparently pulled the switch which connected this track to the leg connecting the FIT to the southern secondary, back toward Southard Ave.
So apparently they will need to reconnect where the switch was to reconnect Southern-FIT. And hopefully put in a new switch to enable a wye.
I walked this section, from 524 to Railroad Ave several times in 2015. A lot of undergrowth has sprung up in seven years.