Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1597961  by nyandw

gamer4616 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:49 pm My first thought was just west of Horseblock Rd in Medford. Long Island Ave runs parallel to the tracks (North of the Tracks). Of course, I could be completely wrong.
Good Idea. In looking at 3D maps can't view a water tank in this area...
 #1597964  by nyandw

Crabman1130 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:37 pm
MACTRAXX wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:53 am Steve - Is there a date available for this photo?

I think judging by the equiment that this picture dates from the early to mid 1970s - the BAR refrigerated boxcars
and the yellow color scheme that LIRR C-54 has - along with the 100PS pound jointed rail visible...

My thought that this is looking westward in the vicinity of Pinelawn towards Republic - with the Farmingdale
water tower visible on the left side in the background - the Main Line pole lines were on the south side of the
tracks in that vicinity - and the distant visible signal is the beginning of double track at PW...MACTRAXX
Definitely not the Farmingdale water tower.
Why is that? Thanks.
 #1597972  by MACTRAXX

Steve - My thought was the Farmingdale-Republic area but I am not sure -
The location of the distant water tower and the 100 pound jointed rail make me less
certain - welded rail was being installed on the Main Line during the 1970s west to east.
In 1974 the single track between PW and Wyandanch had welded rail…

That second photo - which I was able to view on a regular computer-was easy to ID.
Westward view at B Tower with the Central Branch track closest to the photographer.
MACTRAXX
 #1598052  by Crabman1130

nyandw wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:35 am
Crabman1130 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:37 pm
MACTRAXX wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:53 am Steve - Is there a date available for this photo?

I think judging by the equiment that this picture dates from the early to mid 1970s - the BAR refrigerated boxcars
and the yellow color scheme that LIRR C-54 has - along with the 100PS pound jointed rail visible...

My thought that this is looking westward in the vicinity of Pinelawn towards Republic - with the Farmingdale
water tower visible on the left side in the background - the Main Line pole lines were on the south side of the
tracks in that vicinity - and the distant visible signal is the beginning of double track at PW...MACTRAXX
Definitely not the Farmingdale water tower.
Why is that? Thanks.
Shape is not right. Farmingdale's tower looks more like a mushroom. it is also on the north side of the tracks, this one seems to be on the south side.
If it were F'dale and we were looking west from Pinelawn, the road is on the wrong side of the tracks.
 #1598056  by nyandw

Let's explore Pinelawn a bit more. Image

Here's a map of where, I feel, this is as follows: Merritt Ave to the right, a land separation, LIRR single track to the left , utility poles and LI Ave to the south out of the photo. The water tower is south of the tracks on Eastern Pkwy.

Let's look at this material, prior to the water tower itself. (Which may have been upgraded changed in the last 5 decades), Ok?
 #1598266  by MACTRAXX

Steve: This location - which is at the site of the current Deer Park Station (which was re-located eastward
during the Hicksville-Ronkonkoma Electrification and opened in Fall 1986) now makes sense to me.
The visible 100 PS pound jointed rail and the roadway visible made me uncertain about my original
location thought - the area near AIL looking west from around where Long Island Avenue crosses the
Main Line was the correct location. The EH 1988 photo at MP 38 taken on the last diesel train weekend
(Monday January 18, 1988 was when full electrified service began) was west of where the 1974 photo
was taken judging by the distance of the water tower in each picture.

As I previously mentioned welded rail was installed on the Ronkonkoma Branch back in 1974-1975-1976
eastward from PW to Ronkonkoma - rail replacement had not reached this area yet in 1974.
That water tower in the 1988 EH photo had "EATON" painted (Eaton-AIL was the site) on...
The area today is the location of Tanger Outlets Deer Park shopping complex...

The 1974 and 1988 pictures show how the area was evolving over 14 years time...MACTRAXX