Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1597686  by BAR

Don't know the location bur I am curious as to whether those BAR reefers were being used to ship LI potatoes? Those reefers were used in potato service on the BAR before the trucks took over the business..
 #1597700  by krispy

I'd say Mainline, or possibly Montauk east of MS, very flat terrain and looking past the hack, you'll see jack pine like you see in the Pine Barrens. Also, looks like a road parallel north of the tracks. The tip off will be the water tank seen in the distance just to the left of the telegraph poles, if anyone can recognize it.
 #1597703  by Head-end View

Why did later model LIRR cabooses not have either a cupola or side bay windows? Seems to me virtually all cabooses on other railroads always had one or the other so the crew could visually monitor the condition of the consist.
 #1597705  by gamer4616

My first thought was just west of Horseblock Rd in Medford. Long Island Ave runs parallel to the tracks (North of the Tracks). Of course, I could be completely wrong.
 #1597724  by MACTRAXX

Steve - Is there a date available for this photo?

I think judging by the equiment that this picture dates from the early to mid 1970s - the BAR refrigerated boxcars
and the yellow color scheme that LIRR C-54 has - along with the 100PS pound jointed rail visible...

My thought that this is looking westward in the vicinity of Pinelawn towards Republic - with the Farmingdale
water tower visible on the left side in the background - the Main Line pole lines were on the south side of the
tracks in that vicinity - and the distant visible signal is the beginning of double track at PW...MACTRAXX
 #1597754  by freightguy

To the original post, maybe near Suffolk Ave in Brentwood or Central Islip?
 #1597758  by MACTRAXX

nyandw wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:00 pm
MACTRAXX wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:53 am Steve - Is there a date available for this photo?
There was another photo posted with it dated 1971 as follows:
Steve - Could you re-post the picture that you posted?
My device was not able to discern the photo - the original one came out fine...MACTRAXX
 #1597799  by Crabman1130

MACTRAXX wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:53 am Steve - Is there a date available for this photo?

I think judging by the equiment that this picture dates from the early to mid 1970s - the BAR refrigerated boxcars
and the yellow color scheme that LIRR C-54 has - along with the 100PS pound jointed rail visible...

My thought that this is looking westward in the vicinity of Pinelawn towards Republic - with the Farmingdale
water tower visible on the left side in the background - the Main Line pole lines were on the south side of the
tracks in that vicinity - and the distant visible signal is the beginning of double track at PW...MACTRAXX
Definitely not the Farmingdale water tower.