Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am On Time Performance

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1593416  by GTIKING

Amtrak is raising eyebrows by publicly grading their host railroads.
Pan Am Railways is listed in the failure category with the Downeaster @ 78% on time trains.
 #1593425  by Trinnau

To be fair, Downeaster service includes MBTA (Keolis) as a host as well.

Additionally, Pan Am accounts for portions of the New Haven-Greenfield and Vermonter services, which operate over the Conn River on Pan Am and both passed at 89% and 85%, respectively.

The only way to know what Pan Am's portion of the performance would be is if they published the segmented OTP, and adequately traced cascading delays back to their source.
 #1593715  by MEC407

I believe NNEPRA compiles and publishes that data every year. With a handful of exceptions, Downeaster OTP on PAR is usually higher than Downeaster OTP on MBTA.
 #1594394  by arthur d.

I'm surprised the OTP is that high. I ride maybe once a year anymore, and every time there's a broken rail, or a dead freight train, or a suicide by train... or maybe the powers that be just see my name on the manifest and plan an interruption? :wink:
 #1594397  by MEC407

That also happens to me whenever I ride the Downeaster, but the delays I encounter always happen while we're on MBTA rails... usually signal problems, frozen switches, or long stretches of slow orders.
 #1594427  by arthur d.

I rarely go east either but the few times I have we've had to hold at Wells for a limping PAR freight or they're sponging up somebody in Biddeford. Going west, until Atkinson it's dead trains or track, once in T territory, its signals.