Railroad Forums 

• All Things Empire Builder

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1581339  by photobug56

That is a very confusing photo, but as noted, don't know timing. It's weird to see a car upright on the 2nd track, others on the other track, so one might guess that it was picked up.
 #1581342  by justalurker66

There is a very large gap between the three cars that broke from the rest of the train and rolled on to its side and the seven cars that made it past the switch. I'm not sure what force could have stopped the three cars so far away from the others. (That's why we have professionals at the NTSB and the FRA on site.) Note that eight of the 10 cars derailed, so the third car shown connected to the engine was also derailed (along with the fourth which was rerailed on the siding, the fifth and sixth that are shown somewhat upright and the seventh car which is on its side near the switch).

The large gap between the seventh car and the still connected last three cars was shown in pictures posted immediately after the incident. Something happened to break these three cars off of the train and bring them to a stop before the rest of the train came to a stop ahead. I am looking forward to the NTSB/FRA making the determination of what caused that break.
 #1581366  by rcthompson04

David Benton wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:41 pm Interesting the media haven't picked up on only 147 or so passengers. Spread over 8(?) revenue cars, with 16 crew.
Is this a normal load over this section? In this case its probably lucky their was not more passengers on the train.
I saw that and was wondering why all the equipment was running.
 #1581395  by justalurker66

There should be at least three train sets for 7/27 turn 8/28 taking multiple days to cross the country. 144/147 people on the train in Montana does not mean that the train is underused elsewhere along the run, and dropped cars might be needed on the return trip. I was surprised to see that there were 17 crew on board.
 #1581398  by MACTRAXX

west point wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:26 pm It may be that the car on the siding can be made roadworthy. The others on the ground will probably have to have trucks removed and placed on flat cars. regular 89 foot flats will not work for trucks still on as it would exceed plate "H" heights by inches.
WP: The determination of if these seven Superliner cars can be moved on their own wheels should be made as the wreck damage is cleaned up and the tracks are restored back to regular train service.
There looks to be a lack of major equipment damage that would require the use of flat cars.
The use of nine (the first car was a Viewliner baggage car) cars for 147 passengers may have something to do with the ongoing pandemic such as some distancing in coach class as example.

From the photographs available of the seven derailed cars they all look to have held up well under the extreme circumstances of the derailment. Even the three cars that remained coupled together away from the rest of the train look to be sturdy enough to at least be moved to either Shelby or Havre, MT for the NTSB/FRA investigation.
At some point these cars will eventually be shipped to Beech Grove, IN Shop for storage and restoration.

I agree with JL that what caused the three fatalities in this wreck is the top priority of the investigation.
As much as I would like to see a roster of the equipment involved - and what the SEA and POR sections of the train were (7/27 are split at Spokane, WA) - the passengers and crew come first...MACTRAXX
 #1581427  by Gilbert B Norman

Any "corner bets" yet around here which of the ten cars involved have a chance of being returned to service?

My bet is that with the very possible phaseout (especially if Joe does not complete the term; nothing suggests that the LD's are anything more than a "meh" to Kamala) of the LD's, Amtrak will be in no particular rush to return any of the equipment to service.

As I noted earlier, absent "Gross Negligence" (barristers around here will tell you that is a mighty high standard to meet), Amtrak's liability agreement, at least when I was in the industry, with the roads was "no fault". Amtrak, in virtual certainty, has no recourse against BNSF for anything.

But even for Crescent City (Apr '02 Auto Train #52), where there was an incentive to return the equipment to service "on the quick", it still took a year to do so.
 #1581437  by Matt Johnson

While the Talgos got (perhaps unfairly) condemned in the wake of the Cascades wreck, I do wonder if the Superliners are also slightly less safe than single level conventional cars due to their propensity to go down on their sides. I'm guessing the lounge, two coaches, and sleeper that went over are beyond repair and will be scrapped. Given the attrition of the Superliner fleet, if long distance service is to continue then at some point new equipment will be needed. I think the Viewliner is a nice design and it's a shame that CAF had so much trouble with it, but I'm guessing there won't be any more Viewliners produced, so that leaves the future of the long distance fleet an open question.
 #1581439  by John_Perkowski

Trains is reporting one of the widows has filed her wrongful death suit.

As to the train census and consist, we need to remember the Portland section adds on a sleeper, a lounge, and a coach to a regular 10 car consist (2 coaches, 2 sleepers, baggage, diner, lounge, transition sleeper, and two units). We also need to remember vacation season is over and travel still isn’t 100% of pre pandemic.
 #1581443  by Gilbert B Norman

Colonel SIR; that was the combined 7-27(25) consist involved.

Mr. Johnson, if replacement LD equipment is to be ordered, it will be single level and readily convertible to short distance configuration. As to "Private Room" cars, the 75 Viewliners will just have to stay upright and healthy as they will cover the entire National system.
 #1581455  by lordsigma12345

Superliner 2s aren’t going anywhere anytime soon and aren’t even on the radar for equipment replacement - only Amfleet 2 and Superliner 1 are currently being looked at for fleet planning. Were all of these cars SL1? Seems like a big chunk of the SL2 equipment is captive to Auto Train.
 #1581459  by WashingtonPark

MACTRAXX wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:32 pm
W
The use of nine (the first car was a Viewliner baggage car) cars for 147 passengers may have something to do with the ongoing pandemic such as some distancing in coach class as example.
MACTRAXX
[/quote]

There's no social distancing on AMTRAK anymore as the NTSB evidently feels the almighty mask eliminates any chance of covid in a crowded car.