Railroad Forums 

• Toms River Industrial Track!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1577284  by Bracdude181

@GSC Makes sense that the switch would need to be left a certain way as trains still went south of Downtown Toms River to Lacey (and maybe beyond) back in those days.

I can’t say exactly how often they worked the place but I do know that Ciba Geicy wanted to completely rebuild the plant when they took over from Toms River Chemical and part of that meant a major rebuild of the entire TRIT so it could accommodate the trains they would want. (They were pushing for 50 tank cars a day) NJT very quickly shot that down as they weren’t gonna let trains like that on the Coast Line. The plan fell through afterwards.

I do believe that some of the work for the rebuild was done around 92-94 ish. Most of it seems to have been tampering and roadbed work going off of the very little pictures there are of trains on that line, and the current condition of it.
 #1577285  by Bracdude181

@R&DB They left a shoving platform car in Lakehurst? Didn’t know that.

My friend has a picture of the very last train on the Toms River Industrial Track. It was CSX 4441 with one boxcar for Builders General. However, the car was supposed to be in Freehold instead of Toms River.
 #1577287  by R&DB

#1577285 by Bracdude181
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:07 pm
@R&DB They left a shoving platform car in Lakehurst? Didn’t know that.
Mid-80s to early 90s. Saw it there several times. It disappeared when the pollution was detected and the shipments ended.
 #1577341  by R&DB

It's a pretty long shove from Lakehurst to Toms River. I believe there was a run-around in Ciba, but they only used it for the splat. (Shoving PLATform) With 2 runs a week (SA31 & SA35), it got used. They also used to use one in Freehold.
 #1577355  by Bracdude181

@R&DB There was a runaround but I’m not sure if it’s still there. The site is being redeveloped for the solar panel power plant going up in there.

There may be a future for the line as Toms River recently announced that they want to redevelop some areas along 37 and part of that may include an industrial complex on the Ciba Geicy property.
 #1577357  by R&DB

#1577355 by Bracdude181
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:00 pm
@R&DB There was a runaround but I’m not sure if it’s still there. The site is being redeveloped for the solar panel power plant going up in there.
The rails end just behind the Taco Bell. Look at the latest Google Sat view. Solar galore!
 #1577358  by Bracdude181

@R&DB The latest imagery shown on Google Earth shows that half of the runaround is still there, but some of it was removed for the solar panels. The track leading up to it is either buried or was partially removed for a dirt access road.

Nearly the entire site is covered in panels, but there is some room behind the Walmart for a transload facility.
 #1577360  by R&DB

The entire site is around 1400 acres. Only 116 acres were leased for solar, And you are correct the rail is buried, but ends near the solar array.
 #1577362  by Bracdude181

@R&DB That’s right. When I said the entire site I meant the area where the buildings were. My bad lol.

Wondering what’s in store for the site since it being redeveloped is being talked about by the local politicians. One of the plans also called for passenger rail service from NJT but I’m not sure if the NIMBYs and the leisure villages on the south side of the tracks would appreciate up to 2 trains per hour each day.
 #1577363  by R&DB

Passenger rail will not happen in your lifetime. Everything North of Lakehurst needs to be Class 4 or better. I doubt if NJT would ever pay for that.
As far as the NIMBYS and retirement communities in that area see CharlieL's comment about Bimini Rd:
#1569219 by CharlieL
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:21 pm
I'm reachin' here, but maybe D&D is pursuing customers? Or is it just the paving there is in bad shape.

I avoid that area; too many old people (yes I can say that, I'm only 80).
 #1577364  by Bracdude181

@R&DB Class 4.... Is that track rated for something around 80 MPH or so? It’s about what NJT would need at least north of Lakehurst, and that’s also not counting the fact that NJT will likely put up catenary wires above the tracks so they can run directly to NY from there with their awful ALP46s. A very, VERY expensive endeavor.

I’ve always wondered exactly how many people in this general region actually commute to North Jersey and NY to work. (Outside of Lakewood) Enough for a passenger rail system? MOM would be nice but only if it’s done right and isn’t completely focused on NY and back commuting. I think some stations should have big shopping centers within walking distance and there should be ways to connect with other areas of the state. (Kind of like the AC line) Do that part right and do it at a reasonable price and people would be ditching their cars in a heartbeat.

Shame we may never get such a thing around here. That’s why I try to look towards the future of freight rail. At least investing in that around here would do away with truck traffic and make the roads slightly less awful to be on.
 #1577365  by R&DB

Get up early one morning and sit near the Parkway Northbound entrances at Rte 37. The commuter traffic is unreal. The original MOM plan was to orginate trains in Lakehurst. The MOM plan was to reduce traffic on RTE-9. Many people (mysellf included) believe a better location would be the Toms River bus station, thereby also reducing GSP traffic.
See the MOM topic at the NJT threads in this forum. The plan has been around for almost 40 years.
Yes, Class 4 is passenger 80 mph max (freight 60). Wki FRA speeds. Gives all the FRA info without wading through the .gov crud.
 #1577368  by R&DB

One of the best thinggs to build in the BASF site would be a senior-friendly shopping mall. You could build light-rail stations at Bimini, St. Catherines, Bananier, Whiting and BASF.
 #1577370  by Bracdude181

@R&DB Yes, Route 37 traffic is a complete nightmare. Due in part to the fact that no stays right! Left lane hogs are a big problem in NJ.

Yes, a train station at the Downtown Toms River bus station would be a much better option than terminating in Lakehurst. It would allow transfers to the train from bus routes like the 559 route.