Railroad Forums 

• Toms River Industrial Track!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1637372  by CharlieL

Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:21 am Appalling track conditions for one. Especially between Freehold and Englishtown.

Also when are they going to replace the bridge that got hit by the truck a few weeks back? Grant mentions it being replaced.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk
?? Which bridge got hit by a truck a few weeks back ?
Don't remember more than 1 being replaced in the grant, though there were to be some structural repairs to one near Lakewood. But that one wouldn't have been hit by a truck.
 #1637384  by Bracdude181

The one on Wemrock road. Grant mentioned replacing that and repairing the one bridge in lakewood. Neither has happened.

#1637397  by AceMacSD

JohnFromJersey wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:18 am What other obstacles remain, besides the bridge rebuild going on?
Bridges are getting done. Wemrock's a bit of an issue cause of other factors but it'll get done. Working on a few other technicalities.

There are no appalling track conditions. Our teams've done a great job of maintaining our tracks.
 #1637399  by AceMacSD

CharlieL wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:14 pm ?? Which bridge got hit by a truck a few weeks back ?
Don't remember more than 1 being replaced in the grant, though there were to be some structural repairs to one near Lakewood. But that one wouldn't have been hit by a truck.
Wemrock's been hit plenty of time and it's in the works. Lakewood bridge by Rte 9 needs attention and it'll get it soon enough.
 #1637401  by CharlieL

Knew about Wemrock; it was the "few weeks ago" that threw me. Sounded like a different bridge. I suspect they will want to both raise and widen it, hence the delay, it's hallowed ground.
As for the grant(s) one member got copies from the state and has graciously passed them on. Unfortunately they are in PDF format so cannot be posted, must be emailed.
IM me your email address and I will shoot you at least one of them.
 #1637406  by Bracdude181

@AceMac Why the bridge at Route 9? It was completely replaced in 2015. Only issue is they didn't fix the retaining walls. The bridge before it is much worse. The track is crooked and all the ties are shot.

#1637449  by AceMacSD

The bridge by Cheddar Bridgeville be the one to have work done, not Route 9 but close enough to 9. Sorry I'm from Somerset county and I knew it was by Rte 9.

Bridge by Rte 547'll get track work, not a full replacement.
 #1637454  by AceMacSD

JohnFromJersey wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:58 pm A week or two ago, drone footage following much of the TRIT's ROW was uploaded to one of the Facebook groups - Freehold Secondary Railfans I Think? Nature has claimed back quite a lot of this line since the last revenue train in 2005.

Nonetheless, even though there are no customers on this line, I wonder if this line being 5 or so miles would be useful for railcar storage. From what I've gathered from these forums and parsing through railcar storage company's website, railcar storage averages $4-16 dollars per car per day. But I'm sure it would cost a pretty penny to fix up the TRIT...
There's a lot of great drone vids on facebook's groups. Saw a few from Lakehurst going towards Lakewood that really show the condition of what's out there. Watched a few this weekend. Around the holidays one of the guys showed us a drone vid by a nature group of a construction site at the sand pit bout a mile south of Lakehurst. In a few clips the Clayton line's cut. But for fixing up TR for storage, it's not worth it when we've got real estate readily usable. You'll see car storage when the project's are done.
 #1637489  by JohnFromJersey

AceMacSD wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:46 am But for fixing up TR for storage, it's not worth it when we've got real estate readily usable. You'll see car storage when the project's are done.
I'm assuming Red Bank - Earle will is that "real estate readily usable."
 #1640292  by Bracdude181

Found out that in the 1840s there was a small railroad that hauled charcoal between Manchester and Tom's River that most likely followed the current Tom's River Industrial except for the easternmost part. Was this the first railroad in the area?

Also something funny about this little operation. The engine they had was an unholy Frankenstein abomination that barely worked. At one point it derailed at a place called Iron Bridge and they just left it there to rust! They resorted to pulling trains with mules instead and that was better off!! Wonder if anything is left of it out there...

#1640326  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote: They resorted to pulling trains with mules instead and that was better off!! Wonder if anything is left of it out there...

That's how Mule Rd got it's name.