Railroad Forums 

• U34CH General Arrangement Plans

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#1571220  by CaloNord

Greetings all,

My first post here in a new community, I'm a 3D modeller and am on the hunt for plans to use as reference material. :)

I'm looking to make a U34CH in the near future and cannot locate a decent set of General Arrangement plans and was curious if anyone here abouts had any they wouldn't mind sharing.

Bogie plans and references are always helpful as well! :)

Thank you so much.

Cheers.
 #1571407  by Allen Hazen

Basic body design was the same as on the U33C and U36C. (So, since U34CH were built over a number of years, there may be detail differences -- hood door latches, headlight casings, &c -- paralleling those of the other models. So look for photos of the units. George Elwood's marvellous "Fallen Flags" rail image site is a good place to start.). One difference in internal arrangements shows on the outside. The HEP generator on a U34C seems to have intruded into the space the equipment blower occupies on other post-1966 U-series models: the blower is moved into the radiator compartment, as on the B23-7 and B30-7. As a result, the air inlet for the equipment blower (rectangular opening high on the side of the long hood, just behind the cab) is missing.
I think U34CH were built without m.u., so the pilots would be simpler.
--
Not 100% sure, but I think the George Elwood's site, in its "Operating manuals" section, has an operating manual for the U34CH. This would have a diagram of the equipment arrangement, but not many photos of the external appearance.
 #1571837  by Allen Hazen

Thanks for correction, Typewriters! The photos of U34CH at "Fallen Flags" show the connections. (And, at least initially, it is said that Erie-Lackawanna "borrowed" U34CH units and used them on freight trains, which would have been inconvenient if they hadn't been m.u. equipped.) I seem to have been misled by something half-understood and badly remembered! (And, yes, the bit about E-L using them on freight is also from something I remember reading a long time ago: I'm not living up to scholarly standards on this string!)
 #1571850  by mackdave

Having worked on them in 1972 in Croxton, I remember looking at the rear cab wall, which had a selector switch, settings included "Freight" and "Passenger" modes. I think they ran at constant speed for the HEP in Passenger, and the engine responded to the throttle setting in Freight.

Mackdave