• U34CH General Arrangement Plans

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

by CaloNord

Greetings all,

My first post here in a new community, I'm a 3D modeller and am on the hunt for plans to use as reference material. :)

I'm looking to make a U34CH in the near future and cannot locate a decent set of General Arrangement plans and was curious if anyone here abouts had any they wouldn't mind sharing.

Bogie plans and references are always helpful as well! :)

Thank you so much.

Cheers.
  by Allen Hazen

Basic body design was the same as on the U33C and U36C. (So, since U34CH were built over a number of years, there may be detail differences -- hood door latches, headlight casings, &c -- paralleling those of the other models. So look for photos of the units. George Elwood's marvellous "Fallen Flags" rail image site is a good place to start.). One difference in internal arrangements shows on the outside. The HEP generator on a U34C seems to have intruded into the space the equipment blower occupies on other post-1966 U-series models: the blower is moved into the radiator compartment, as on the B23-7 and B30-7. As a result, the air inlet for the equipment blower (rectangular opening high on the side of the long hood, just behind the cab) is missing.
I think U34CH were built without m.u., so the pilots would be simpler.
--
Not 100% sure, but I think the George Elwood's site, in its "Operating manuals" section, has an operating manual for the U34CH. This would have a diagram of the equipment arrangement, but not many photos of the external appearance.
  by Allen Hazen

Link: http://www.rr-fallenflags.org
The operator's manual, alas, seems to have been linked from another site which is currently down.
The New Jersey Transit section of the general photo gallery has lots of U34CH. (And the headlight casings do vary.)
  by Allen Hazen

Thanks for correction, Typewriters! The photos of U34CH at "Fallen Flags" show the connections. (And, at least initially, it is said that Erie-Lackawanna "borrowed" U34CH units and used them on freight trains, which would have been inconvenient if they hadn't been m.u. equipped.) I seem to have been misled by something half-understood and badly remembered! (And, yes, the bit about E-L using them on freight is also from something I remember reading a long time ago: I'm not living up to scholarly standards on this string!)
  by mackdave

Having worked on them in 1972 in Croxton, I remember looking at the rear cab wall, which had a selector switch, settings included "Freight" and "Passenger" modes. I think they ran at constant speed for the HEP in Passenger, and the engine responded to the throttle setting in Freight.

Mackdave