Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1565179  by Tanker1497

I googled "nj railroad grants" and a page issued on the same day Feb. 12th gave this as to what the 29m grant along with 23m total of 52m is going to go for?
The 10 projects are located in 11 counties and include upgrading and repairing existing railroad tracks with environmentally-friendly steel ties, installing new or upgraded switches, constructing a new drawbridge, and repairing or upgrading existing bridges and crossings. The grants are administered by the NJDOT Office of Grants Management and leverage an additional $23 million from railroad owners and operators, bringing the total investment to more than $52 million.
 #1565181  by Bracdude181

@Tanker1497 The 52 million investment is likely the total for all the grants together. The one that’s supposedly for down here is around 4 million, but after reading that timetable I’d say anyone interested in taking over all this is gonna need more than that in the short and long term.
 #1565182  by Tanker1497

Bracdude181 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:39 pm @Tanker1497 The 52 million investment is likely the total for all the grants together. The one that’s supposedly for down here is around 4 million, but after reading that timetable I’d say anyone interested in taking over all this is gonna need more than that in the short and long term.
I should have been clearer. I ment that the speculation of any reopening of any tracks as posted for sereval pages back around 635 is not going to happen. But the monies is going to fix stuf. But the question still remains why Ocean Monmouth, are even mentioned?
 #1565185  by R&DB

Tanker1497 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:10 pm
Bracdude181 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:39 pm @Tanker1497 The 52 million investment is likely the total for all the grants together. The one that’s supposedly for down here is around 4 million, but after reading that timetable I’d say anyone interested in taking over all this is gonna need more than that in the short and long term.
I should have been clearer. I ment that the speculation of any reopening of any tracks as posted for sereval pages back around 635 is not going to happen. But the monies is going to fix stuf. But the question still remains why Ocean Monmouth, are even mentioned?
Have you seen this?:
https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/ ... Awards.pdf
Item 1 is the one in question as Dover and Delaware currently do not have a presence in the areas mentioned.
 #1565191  by Bracdude181

@Tanker1497 I’m not sure how anyone expects to make improvements along the Southern Secondary without reopening Farmingdale to Freehold. NJ Transit has made it perfectly clear that they want absolutely no freight on the Coast Line south of South Amboy. Aside from fixing the worst areas of track there’s hardly any incentive to improve the Southern, and getting customers back will be very difficult with NJ Transits restrictions in place.
 #1565192  by Tanker1497

I've seen this
https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/ ... Awards.pdf
I also saw this same date
https://transportationtodaynews.com/new ... ht-grants/
forth paragraph: makes no sence giving money to the Dover and Delaware if NJ DOT owns the Southern and the FIT Unless they take over. And the second link says they are just replacing ties and repair bridges or new bridge.
 #1565194  by CR7876

Tanker1497 wrote: I should have been clearer. I ment that the speculation of any reopening of any tracks as posted for sereval pages back around 635 is not going to happen. But the monies is going to fix stuf. But the question still remains why Ocean Monmouth, are even mentioned?
First, I think you all are looking too much into this. Second, I think we can all figure out what the F&S Connection and upgrade is. Now, if the F&S is short for Freehold and Southern, which I think we all do those two lines are physically in parts of Ocean, Monmouth, and Middlesex counties. It is possible that there would also be spot repairs needed elsewhere on the lines. Also, clearly there is something being worked on between all three parties for a grant to be applied for, and granted. Clearly I think we all know what the next step is. Finally, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Most questions should be answered later the spring or summer.
 #1565214  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

Btw has there been any safety notice about a possible takeover?

We been through this for almost a year & everyone should know how the process works!

Do we even have any inside information from C&D?

Btw why does C&D want to take over in the first place? Are there customers interested in them over Conrail?
 #1565220  by Tanker1497

CR7876
"First, I think you all are looking too much into this."

Count me out of this quote!

I'm the one who just said they are replacing ties and fixing bridges! 1565719
But we all have a say in our views!
The only question at this time that needs any addressing is why the grant is for Monmouth and Ocean Counties and that money was giving too Dover and Delaware and they DON"T have a spike,rail or tie in either of those two counties!
And all this time I thought we were talking about The Freehold Secondary (also called the Freehold Industrial Track)?
Somebody educate me on the Freehold and Southern?
 #1565233  by R&DB

@Tanker;
Somebody educate me on the Freehold and Southern?
The Freehold Industrial Track (Freehold Secondary) runs from the wye in Jamesburg to Farmingdale. The section from Oakerson Rd. to Farmingdale is currently out of service.
The Southern Secondary runs from Red Bank to Lakehurst. The portion below the Cross St. siding is currently out of service.
Both are owned by NJ DoT and currently operated by Conrail Shared Assets Operations.
No one here knows why the grant went to DDRR (a subsidiary of C&D RR). The grant does state the work will be in Middlesex, Monmouth, Ocean Counties and specifically calls out Howell Township. And as CharlieL stated it says Phase 1, so there's more to come.
Both lines pass through Howell. The Freehold line is in both Monmouth and Middlesex. The Southern is in Monmouth and Ocean. The item in the grant calling for connecting F&S can only mean the out of service section of the FIT.
The work in Ocean County cannot be determined but may be the OOS section to Lakehurst so they can use the longer siding there. (the recent derailment at Cross St. siding comes to mind) Another Ocean Cty. work site maybe the TRIT.
The real question is why DDRR?
All of this is speculation. Until we can get information from the DoT we'll just have to wait and see what develops.
Last edited by R&DB on Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.