Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1562625  by newkirk

Bad Luck wrote:Bill, the LI 38's (save the four for NYA) were sent out for rebuild upon LIRR retirement. As I recall, EMD had the right to first refusal, and after deciding to keep the units, had them rebuilt for their own lease fleet, Locomotive Leasing Partners (LLPX). The units left the Island via the NYCH, and were stored in Bush Terminal while en route, prior to being floated over to Greenville. CN's Transcona Shop did the work. I believe Juniata may have also done a batch... but it's been so many years that I don't recall.

Do you have any more photos of the 38's (Powerpacks too!) after retirement? Great shot.
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm surprised the MTA markings weren't painted over if #269 was leaving for good.

I did post a couple of photos of FA powerpacks in Pennsylvania. I don't know if you've seen them
 #1562638  by photobug56

Hoppe was the Pres; years ago I sent him a copy of this photo. I was truly amazed at how many people were visible in that cab - and wondered h ow someone could safely operate the train that way! As to the FL(AC's - they were beauties - I think EMD would have been amazed at how good they looked decades later, a lot better than how they were delivered. If it wasn't for the ready to burn out AC inverters and the excess computerization (mainly the expensive, hard to pry out of Metro North's hands inverters), things might have gone better for the 3. Of course, as I understand it, LIRR canibalized one of the 3 FL9's, so if one of the others broke, you couldn't run the Bitanic. supposedly did the same to the spare C1 car, same result. But when everything was working, at least from my view, that was a fast, sleek, comfortable train!
 #1562640  by jhdeasy

upton wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:29 am
This was another KCS car in Greenport on the Shelter Island Express.
The number on the KCS coach looks like 255, but I can't be certain. Built by Pullman Standard in 1940 as KCS 234 PITTSBURG (named after the city in Kansas), later renumbered as KCS 255, it eventually became LIRR 8558.

The coach to the left is also a former KCS car, while the coach to the right is a former FEC car.
 #1564330  by upton

Eastbound Cannonball in early 1972 just passing Sayville/Oakdale station. Ex NH, now LIRR "Merrick".
Attachments:
SCAN0027 (3).JPG
SCAN0027 (3).JPG (592.56 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
 #1564341  by RGlueck

That might be train 4012, which carried three Century 420's on the point to Montauk.
 #1564359  by Pensyfan19

I was looking through some of my old photos, and it appears I unknowingly recreated a scene of MP15AC 162 at Patchogue Station facing west at the Riverhead Railroad Museum!
Attachments:
Scan13832.jpeg.jpg
Scan13832.jpeg.jpg (268.3 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
DSC_0813.JPG
DSC_0813.JPG (537.65 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
 #1596082  by jack butler505

newkirk wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:59 am For those of us who are snowed in today. (All photos: Bill Mangahas)

Bellerose (February 2000)

East of Huntington (January 1985)

Glen Street (January 1985)

East Williston (February 1992)

Locust Valley (January 1, 2001)

Locust Valley (January 28, 2000)

Massapequa (March 1992)

Mill Neck (February 2000)

Mineola (January 1981)

Pinelawn (January 1985)

Sea Cliff (January 2001)

Wyandanch (January 1985)
Any idea where the current location of that Mineola photo is?
 #1596084  by jack butler505

newkirk wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:55 pm Some oddball stuff.

The Asharoken at GCT for a ERA fan trip. I did not attend so I don't know the itinerary .
Photo: Bill Mangahas (May 1981)

ex-LIRR bar-generator car at the Brooklyn Army terminal. I was told the 600v generator provided power for the overhaul of the Chicago Transit Authority 1969 Budd "L" cars.
Photo: Bill Mangahas (July 1989)

Long abandoned Vanderbilt Motor Parkway overpass that was later removed before the arrival of the C-1/C-3 bi-levels.
Photo: Jay Bendersky (December 11, 1982)

Garrett GT/E cars going out for scrap parked on the Bay Ridge branch.
Photo: Bill Mangahas (January 17, 1992)

ex-MP 54 work car, "W" work car number not known. Do you know ?
Photo: Bill Mangahas (January 17, 1993)

M-1 #9755 with no yellow band on front bonnet. Were there any others ?[
(June 12, 1982/b]

"JAWS" at old KO yard in Ronkonkoma.
Photo: Bill Mangahas (August 1980)

Location: Port Jefferson. These are the farthest east tracks used for storage, This should be the remains of the Wading River branch. Has this scene changed since 1983 ?
Photo: Bill Mangahas (August 1983)

Out of service power pack being towed for repairs. This is Roslyn Rd when it was a grade crossing.
Photo: Bill Mangahas (February 1980

This was the LIRR "Heritage Train' that was on display at Flatbush Ave around the time of the Bi-Centennial.
Location is Shea Stadium.
Photo: Bill Mangahas (August 1982)

Combine #1391, part of the Heritage Train . Correct if I'm wrong, I believe this is on Rte. 347 in Suffolk County.
Photo: Bill Mangahas (December 26, 1988)

W-6 in Johnson Ave yard.
(Photo: Bill Mangahas: (February 1980)

Could this also be W-6 near Sunnyside yard ? I would always see it parked there before my train would enter the East River tunnels.
Photo: Bill Mangahas (April 1984)

Is that Roslyn Rd shot looking Northeast?
 #1596132  by nyandw

Bill: Image
MOW W6 Morris Park c.1970+ Photo: Steve Hoskins

Perhaps ex-MP 54 work car, "W" work car number not known. car was this one:

Instruction Car I-11 was MP54C #5751 Built 1923* as #1751 View E Jamiaca 4/18/70 Photo/Archive: Art Huneke

Perhaps the same car at LIRR #1398/W6 Port Jefferson Station - Terryville Chamber of Commerce- Route 112 Photo: Mike Arnold 02/25/06
 #1596147  by RGlueck

Wow! What a trip through memory! Wonderful photos and thanks everyone for posting. There's a lot of equipment here which should have made it onto a secure museum track. The Garrett Turbine cars should have wound up in preservation somewhere, if not on Long Island. The observation cars will always be favorites. Too few P54 coaches managed to survive their own weaknesses. Some wonderful stuff here.

I am told FA2 #603 will be displayed at Railfest this year, while 601 and 602 continue to head toward complete restoration and operation (not Railfest).
 #1596190  by MACTRAXX

JB - From BM's Newkirk Images that you bumped up:

1-The first Mineola photo of #603 is at the now-closed Main Street crossing just east of Mineola Station.
The train is entering the Main Line west from the Oyster Bay Branch. Nassau Tower is (was today)
behind the photographer.

2-The Mineola photo from the second group (155 towing 602) was taken at the Willis Avenue grade crossing
(now closed and fully eliminated) east of Mineola. Roslyn Road is in the background by the visible signal
bridge looking eastward. Westbound trains were sometimes held at the signal just east of Roslyn Road
when there was Main Line congestion entering Mineola Station.

BM - I was surprised that I never commented in this topic - LIRR historical pictures are always good to
further identify - in the second group of pictures you ask if there were any other M1 cars that ran without
yellow front end stripes - there were two original "gray" pairs back in 1982: 9701-9702 and the pictured
9755-9756. These were the first M1 cars to have the painted side stripes removed - and they ran for a
number of years during the 80s before the reflectorized yellow stripes were placed on their front ends.

BM - I looked more at both groups of pictures and will add further information...
First set -
#2-May be earlier than January 1985 - during "window stripe transition" early to mid 1980s.
Note Glen Street picture #3 as a comparison...
#4-East Williston picture - February 1982 makes more sense with the three cars window striped.
10 years later all of the painted LIRR passenger car fleet was striped below the windows.
Note picture #7 at Massapequa of how those five cars are striped...
#12 - Wyandanch - January 1988 just before full electrification to Ronkonkoma began operation.
June 1985 is when the Hicksville-Ronkonkoma Electrification project began.

Second set -
#1-Former LIRR "Asharoken" and "Acquebogue" are both now MNCR business cars.
#4 and 5 - two different years noted for same equipment - 1992 and 1993.
The visible Garrett GT/E cars were in rough condition after long storage and suffered from vandalism.
#7-"Jaws" snowplow now on display at Greenport RMLI. This idea was conceived by LIRR President
(1978-1981) Frank Gabreski - combining a World War Two fighter plane with the popularity of the
movie "Jaws" during the second half of the 1970s...
#8-The Port Jefferson Yard for the DE/DM30s and C3 equipment was built in that area in the late 1990s.
#10-The two MP54 MU cars were the Nassau County consist of the LIRR Bicentennial Train.
Suffolk County's two cars were both ping-pongs (one in photo at Shea Stadium).
#11-The MP54 combine is in the vicinity of NYS Routes 112 and 347 in Port Jefferson Station.
The PJ Station-Terryville Chamber of Commerce has title to this car...

MACTRAXX
 #1605269  by newkirk

Ramblersville was the original station's name. What was it renamed ?
The date I have for this scan is Sept 9, 1913. The date may be incorrect .

[/b]Image