Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

• 113 posts
  by newkirk

Bad Luck wrote:Bill, the LI 38's (save the four for NYA) were sent out for rebuild upon LIRR retirement. As I recall, EMD had the right to first refusal, and after deciding to keep the units, had them rebuilt for their own lease fleet, Locomotive Leasing Partners (LLPX). The units left the Island via the NYCH, and were stored in Bush Terminal while en route, prior to being floated over to Greenville. CN's Transcona Shop did the work. I believe Juniata may have also done a batch... but it's been so many years that I don't recall.

Do you have any more photos of the 38's (Powerpacks too!) after retirement? Great shot.
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm surprised the MTA markings weren't painted over if #269 was leaving for good.

I did post a couple of photos of FA powerpacks in Pennsylvania. I don't know if you've seen them
  by photobug56

Hoppe was the Pres; years ago I sent him a copy of this photo. I was truly amazed at how many people were visible in that cab - and wondered h ow someone could safely operate the train that way! As to the FL(AC's - they were beauties - I think EMD would have been amazed at how good they looked decades later, a lot better than how they were delivered. If it wasn't for the ready to burn out AC inverters and the excess computerization (mainly the expensive, hard to pry out of Metro North's hands inverters), things might have gone better for the 3. Of course, as I understand it, LIRR canibalized one of the 3 FL9's, so if one of the others broke, you couldn't run the Bitanic. supposedly did the same to the spare C1 car, same result. But when everything was working, at least from my view, that was a fast, sleek, comfortable train!
  by jhdeasy

upton wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:29 am
This was another KCS car in Greenport on the Shelter Island Express.
The number on the KCS coach looks like 255, but I can't be certain. Built by Pullman Standard in 1940 as KCS 234 PITTSBURG (named after the city in Kansas), later renumbered as KCS 255, it eventually became LIRR 8558.

The coach to the left is also a former KCS car, while the coach to the right is a former FEC car.
  by upton

Eastbound Cannonball in early 1972 just passing Sayville/Oakdale station. Ex NH, now LIRR "Merrick".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by RGlueck

That might be train 4012, which carried three Century 420's on the point to Montauk.
  by Pensyfan19

I was looking through some of my old photos, and it appears I unknowingly recreated a scene of MP15AC 162 at Patchogue Station facing west at the Riverhead Railroad Museum!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by photobug56

Rustbuckets - but our rustbuckets! :-)
  by Antonio Morrow