Railroad Forums 

• Steam locos in Rochester

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1557957  by Benjamin Maggi

The information came from Linwood W. Moody's "The Maine Two Footers" book. I haven't read the book in a couple of years, and I don't recall why they brought them back. There were 5 Maine 2-foot gauge railroads of note, and as the first ones closed the remaining ones frequently bought some of the remains. Maybe the scrapyard wanted to keep it them in good shape should the other railroad's come looking for new(er) motive power? Not sure.

Considering how small the percentage is of surviving American steam locomotives today, it is remarkable that so many 2-foot engines are around now including this pair.
 #1559569  by StLouSteve

So which road had the last operating steam loco in Rochester and what was the date--perhaps someone knows off hand. (I think we can eliminate the LV as that was one of the first roads to go all diesel and NYC moved all their steam to the western part of the system so that leaves Erie, B&O and Pennsy).

Note I am not asking about return visits by steam in the 60s, shortlines like the A&A or special trains.

Thanks