Railroad Forums 

• Steam locos in Rochester

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1441960  by nydepot

1) What ever happened to Despatch Shops #5 that resided in Henrietta? It was privately owned. John Vergilio was the name.

2) Is there another person is the Rochester area that collected steam locomotives, especially some from Semet-Solvay in Syracuse?

Thanks,

Charles
 #1442000  by lvrr325

Supposed to be three small engines between NYMOT and R&GV, one ex-Solvay. Can't find anything on the other one.
 #1442003  by scottychaos

Despatch #5 has been discussed several times on this forum over the years..
the conclusion has always been: It's been there since 1964, and is still there today.
Inside a garage at the Virgilio home in Henrietta.

If it came out of the garage, we would probably hear about it! ;)
we have never heard about it..so, there is only one likely conclusion..it's still there.

Scot
 #1442320  by Otto Vondrak

nydepot wrote:1) What ever happened to Despatch Shops #5 that resided in Henrietta? It was privately owned. John Vergilio was the name.
Still there, under cover.
2) Is there another person is the Rochester area that collected steam locomotives, especially some from Semet-Solvay in Syracuse?
The boiler from a Solvay engine is on display at NYMT.

http://www.nymtmuseum.org/NYMTPict1.php ... otive%2047" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The two engines at RGV are ex-Connectuct Light & Power and Brooklyn Navy Yard #12.

http://www.rgvrrm.org/about/railroad/clp37/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rgvrrm.org/about/railroad/bny12/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-
 #1442384  by StLouSteve

What happened to the small steam engine that was in the scrapyard downtown just north of the NYC main in the 60s/70s?

I think I heard it was eventually saved.

Thanks
 #1442483  by BR&P

No, that's the one. In the early 60's when we would go by, it reminded me of my HO Varney 0-4-0T. That is, what little I could see of it behind the piles of scrap.
 #1442505  by StLouSteve

Thanks BR&P. Somewhere I have a copy of a picture of the loco which was in the D&C or TU showing kids admiring it in the scrapyard.

Now can you solve another mystery...where was the station clock being installed in the new station hiding all these years?

Or does anyone know if the Roch Museum Sci Center still has the small scale reefer built by Despatch shop?
 #1442536  by jr

The miniature refrigerator car was given to the Rochester Chapter NRHS (not sure of the date, but it was inside the depot at Industry in approximately 1985)

It was subsequently placed on loan to he village of E.R. It was, last I knew, on display at the village hall. I saw it there, approximately five years ago.

JR
 #1557870  by StLouSteve

Was poking around on Newspapers.com (subscription req'd) which has the old D&C paper (plus lots of others) and found a picture and article about Despatch No 5 being sold to Virgilio. (June 17, 1965 page 3--date loco moved to Henrietta). Apparently school kids helped save up to purchase the loco from the scrapyard. It cost $1,250 and had been moved to Rochester Iron & Metal ten years before.
 #1557940  by Benjamin Maggi

Speaking of steam locomotives saved from scrap yards in Rochester, I will bring up Monson Railroad's #3 and #4. They are small Maine 2-foot gauge Forneys (0-4-4) that were sold to a scrap company in Rochester when the railroad closed and disassembled in 1943-1944. The scrap dealer was located at the corner of Lyell Avenue and Mt. Read Boulevard. In 1946, the two engines were discovered by Linwood Moody and rescued by the Edaville Railroad and restored.

As with most other surviving Maine narrow gauge trains, the current history is tortured. If I have it right, engine #3 is owned by the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum but on loan to the WW&F railroad (and previously on loan to the SR&RL railroad.)

If you attended the Springfield train show this year, you likely saw (and heard!) her as it was the engine running back and forth in the parking lot. It was NOT the engine running there previous years, though. Sister engine Monson #4 is at the Maine Narrow Gauge museum in Portland, Maine, and not operational.
 #1557951  by BR&P

Benjamin Maggi wrote:...sold to a scrap company in Rochester when the railroad closed and disassembled in 1943-1944. The scrap dealer was located at the corner of Lyell Avenue and Mt. Read Boulevard. In 1946, the two engines were discovered by Linwood Moody and rescued by the Edaville Railroad and restored.
Had not heard that but I don't dispute it. In the mid 60's that would have been Falk Iron & Metal. Interesting (and fortunate) that they apparently bothered to truck them all the way back to Rochester instead of cutting them up on the spot.