Railroad Forums 

• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1442473  by BR&P

I don't think they are "bad on the track" generally speaking. "pressure on the rails" does not compute. If I understand correctly the big issue FGLK had with them was there were too many places they could not go due to the long wheelbase. Inside the army base? Guaranteed derailment. Around the curve at Victor Insulators? Forget it! Phelps Supply? Not a good idea! 4 axle power is more versatile and flexible in the assignments it can work.
 #1442649  by lvrr325

C628s had tri-mount trucks with an uneven axle spacing which made them rougher.

So far as I know there's just a few tight spots that are real issues, like the curve by the prison in Auburn. But as noted the six axle power isn't as flexible to use in tight spots on sidings and so forth. I would imagine the ramp down to the former PRR is tough too. Other than parts of the former LV none of it was ever a mainline.
 #1442796  by nydepot

And yet if you look at roads that traditionally had 4-axle power, it's gone now, replaced by 6-axle. So many of the old Rail America and G&W family roads are 6-axle now. Even SD70s on the Vermont Ry.
 #1442856  by Matt Langworthy

BR&P's point about 6 axle power on tight curves is valid. However, FGLK already had the B23-7s, U23B, GP9s and leased switchers which could handle Kendaia and Victor Insulators. According to my source, the SD38-2s were particularly rough on the track at Martisco's hill and the FGLK track gang didn't like them at all. The GP38-2s have mostly been sighted on GS2, but they have powered other trains, as well.
 #1442864  by lvrr325

? Up through Martisco is the section Conrail redid with welded 155-lb relay rail, although somewhere between there and the 321 overpass I believe it changes back to bolted.
 #1448403  by RailBus63

Saw an eastbound train passing the Hinsdale Road crossing in Camillus the other day with a Finger Lakes boxcar painted in a version of the red and silver New York Central 'Pacemaker' scheme. Anyone know if this car a one-off or will there be more?
 #1448405  by CPSD40-2

The boxcar is a one-off, and as far as I know, it doesn't leave home rails for fear of vandalism. It has been in Geneva for a couple of years now and last week I heard that they had run it out toward Solvay, not sure why its on the move though.
 #1448439  by CPSD40-2

Its a one of a kind, one-off, heritage scheme, whatever you want to call it. FGLK doesn't have another boxcar painted like it. For what its worth, Lake City Hobby in Geneva had a special run of those boxcars done by Accurail and the kits are in stock.
 #1462607  by Mass Coastal 2010

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anybody here know the heritage (Pre-Conrail/Penn Central) of ballast hopper FGLK 188? New Haven possibly? Does anybody have any recent pictures of the car also? A quick search only brings a picture from 2006.

Thanks!
-Mike
 #1462627  by lvrr325

The car carries previous owner marks at upper right, as many Conrail cars did, however I cannot make them out when zooming in beyond the first letter appears to be an N.

The class of car is not visible either, sometimes this is a clue.

12 years later who knows if those marks would be visible still, or if the car's even been totally repainted.

A list of the former Conrail numbers of the cars could also be of some help.
 #1462631  by Mass Coastal 2010

On the bottom right on the sill there are the letters "CN". The CN is visible in this photo (Link: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=341413" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). CN70Z was a designation put on some former NH hoppers when rebuilt by Conrail so it is possible that this car is a CN70Z or a CN series car meaning it is most likely Ex-NH.

I do not have a list of the Conrail numbers unfortunately.

-Mike
 #1462633  by BR&P

I will make an inquiry tomorrow and may be able to have it looked at.

EDIT - email sent. Depending on where the car is stored, and what his schedule is, it might be a while before he can look. Either he'll post directly or will relay through me.

SECOND EDIT - Got a reply. As might be expected at this time of year, the cars are stored way out in South Jockstrap. He will try to remember to look, either if he has reason to go out there, or in spring when they are brought back to civilization.