Railroad Forums 

• New engines coming to Conway Scenic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#134641  by MEC407

b&m 1566 wrote:I know each engine coast well into the six figures weather leased or bought.
Are you talking about the locomotives they just purchased -- the 44 tonner, U23B and B23-7?

If so, are you sure about the cost? The reason I ask is that I'm pretty familiar with what used motive power is going for these days, and knowing the condition of these particular locomotives, I can't imagine who in their right mind would pay six figures for each of them.

The U23B probably had a price tag of between $30K and $60K, and the B23-7 was probably somewhere between $60K and $90K. Maybe $100K if it's a really good runner and doesn't need anything, but that's not what I've heard about it.

I can't see the 44 tonner going for more than $20K or $30K, max.

#134754  by b&m 1566

Speaking with one of the employees yes the 2 bigger engines were in the 6 figures but like I've said before, it seems nobody knows what’s going on, one of them didn't even know they were getting new engines. I'm beginning to think this was a last second decision they made. As for me I'm not saying they cost that much I’m just reporting what I heard. Maybe the employee meant to say it as a total cost but that’s not how they put it, I had to ask a 2nd time. The new 44 toners they receive was almost a freebee only spending like 500 dollars for it or something. I'm not sure what there doing with that either, one person said they needed an engine to help do switching jobs in the yard, another said they were using it for parts to fix the 44 toner #15 and another said they were just going to retire the #15 and just put it out on display.

#140565  by checexcitation

I'm pretty sure that the 3 locomotives added together did not hit a six figure cost.
They were offered for sale at a much lower cost figure than that. I know of at least a few railroads that were offered these locomotives at a very attractive price.

#143989  by shadyjay

I have just returned from a trip up north and stopped by both Bartlett and North Conway stations. While I didn't see any activity at Bartlett, I did shoot the #573 on the northbound train into North Conway, and then it leaving ~ 2:30 for Bartlett. Also, shot the newly arrived engines, QBT 21 and 23.

Go to the NERAIL photo archive, and browse by contributor under "Jay Hogan" if you want to see the shots.

If I had known the 2:30 was going to Bartlett, I would've been on board. I thought it was just going to Conway. BTW, I saw no signs of the #15 or the #7470. Both must be in the shop. #501 was outside the turntable along with the #1055, plus the Notch diesels.

-JH