Railroad Forums 

• New engines coming to Conway Scenic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#125447  by Don

Heard over the weekend that CS has acquired 2 B23-7's to replace the FP9's on the notch train. Anyone have a clue as to what they intend to do w/the F's?
Don

#125468  by Meyblc

Say it isn't so. if they have the $$$ to get to new pieces of equipment, why don't they get the steamer fixed and running and hey, how about helping with the MEC 2-8-0?

I'm sure that the newer GE power would be better on fuel, but who wouldn't like to see a double headed steam trip up through the Notch???
 #125559  by Don

When I rode the notch train in 97' , the engineer ( retired from MEC) said he wished the F's had dynamic brakes as they went thru a lot of brake shoes on them. The GE's have dynamics. Still, the thought of 2 GE's on the point does'nt thrill me.
Don

etc

#125668  by Noel Weaver

We need to remember that the Conway Scenic Railway is a business and
as a business, it needs to make a reasonable profit in order to stay in
business and continue to operate.
As pleasing to see and hear, the F's do not have dynamic brakes and they
are a huge factor in expenses on a line of this nature.
The important thing is that the mountain portion of this splendid line is in
operation and not in the status of the trackage in Maine.
The use of dynamic brakes saves on brake shoes, wheel wear and makes
a safer operation when going down major grades like the ones found on
the Crawford Notch Line.
I would not be surprised if they kept the F's around.
Noel Weaver

#125673  by NRGeep

I'm assuming it would be cost prohibitive or not possible to modify the F's for dynamic brakes? And what exactly are B23 7's?

#125828  by octr202

I think that this might be one of them...I heard that they are ex-Qunicy Bay Terminal B23-7's. Here's a picture of QBT #22 (obviously ex-Conrail):

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=20765

I remember reading somewhere that at least one of the QBT's units was built as a U23B and upgraded to Dash-7 standards later.

In short, they're 2250HP four axle GE's. GE's answer to the GP38-2.

I'm sure Noel can add more, since I'm sure he saw plenty of them at Conrail.

#126039  by steveh

Last edited by steveh on Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

#126082  by b&m 1566

If I’m not mistaken the only reason the Notch train has 2 engines to begin with is because they can't turn the engines anywhere besides North Conway. I was told running those types of engines backwards has a huge visibility problem and not only that but the crew has to constantly stick there heads out the windows when the units back up (E8's, F7's, FP9's, F40's and any other engines similar that I missed).
one way to solve that problem would be to reconstruct the Y that used to be at Fabyans, but that would cost money and because the state owns the tracks that will never happen, not only that but that would require the CSRR to go to Fabyans every trip, and that's something they don't want to do because the rider ship isn't big enough and most don't want to go passed Crawford's except during the fall.

Personally I hope they don't get newer engines because part of the excitement riding the CS is that they operate using old equipment.

#126924  by Cowford

We need to remember that the Conway Scenic Railway is a business and
as a business, it needs to make a reasonable profit in order to stay in
business and continue to operate.
Whoa, Noel... you're sounding disturbingly capitalistic! :P

#130672  by b&m 1566

I have emailed the Conway Scenic 3 times now in the last 2 weeks and they have yet to get back to me. I emailed them asking the question if they were getting newer engines. Well 15 days later nothing. I guess there customer service in answering people’s questions is dwindling.

#134183  by rjones2

I saw four engines the approximately two days ago out near the airport in Whitefield, NH. There was a yellow 44 tonner lettered for the New Hampshire Central and a GP7 or GP9 lettered for the Conway Scenic with those two aforementioned B23-7's in the middle. Yesterday morning I did hear a horn while playing golf at the Mountain View, so I figured it was that move. By the way, has anyone heard things involving the future of freight service in Northern New Hampshire, Gilman, Vt etc?

#134236  by RG479

The move was made on Sunday, after the units were brought down from Groveton on Saturday ( I missed that operation). The 2 F7's left North Conway at 06:30 and were up to Hazen's around 10:00. They had to stop and flag all crossings North of Bartlett. The return run had 2 F7's, 573, the 2 U23 engines, and the 44 tonner bringing up the rear. After a brake check at Crawford Notch, down the hill they went, brake shoes squealing on the rusty rail.
The 44 tonner will stand in for CS#15 which has one blown engine.
Rumor has it that the Portland Terminal Alco Switcher will run this summer. Something old and something new.

Bob M

#134280  by b&m 1566

I rode the CSRR on Sunday; I got to see the engines as we arrived back in N. Conway coming from Conway. I'm not sure what the deal is though because I got 3 different answers from 3 different CSRR employees. So I don't even think they have any idea as to what's going on accept for the operation manager, who I did not get to talk too. One employee didn't even know they were getting 3 new engines. Another said that they bought the 2 bigger engines so they could work on the 4266 and the 1055 (the current back up engines) and another said that they need more engines because if one failed they didn't have enough back ups strong enough. The 4266 (owned by the 470 Club) is not running so well and is due for another over haul soon (they even have trouble coupling cars to it). In Conway the engine had to pull forward and back up about 8 or 9 times before it connected with the car. Both FB9's are going to be repainted soon so they will be out of service for a little while with that; not to mention that the CSRR was busy this past winter painting half of their fleet. The 44 toners #15 blew and engine because it was over worked, first being the main engine for revenue service then being used as the work train in the later years. Due to the age of all the engines the most important people for the CSRR are the Mechanics that work on the trains day in and day out to keep them rolling. 7470 (47) is taking so long because all the parts that need replacing have to be custom made do to the lack of parts that are available. Not many know but the 7470 was striped right down to the frame. They hope to have the 7470 up and running by next year. All the new engines on the CSRR have been rebuilt and only need some minor work done on them, such as paint and some compressors, but all the major work was done before joining the fleet. All current engines will remain and will all operate from time to time, only reason for the 2 newer engines is to add depth to there fleet. To many time engine number 15 would have to go out and rescue a train because of it breaking down, specially the 4266. The 44 toner would always shadow the Notch train when the 4266 was part of the train because the engine kept breaking down. I have taken pictures of the new trains just after they arrived in N. Conway. Both ex- Quincy Bay engines one is in blue and the other in the tan and green. I hope to have them up on NErial in the next few days.

#134320  by John_Henry

Well, to figure it out you might want to ask which diesels are actually *owned* by the CSRR. The FP-9's, the GP-7, the MEC 44-tonner and possibly others are not owned by the railroad.

#134367  by b&m 1566

Well I know for sure the ex-B&M 4266 is not owned buy the Conway Scenic but is leased out to them. The owner of the 4266 like I have said before is the 470 Club which also owns the ex-Maine Central engine 501 and the ex-B&M 4268. Engines 1055, 15 and the 7470 (47) are owned buy the Conway Scenic. The FB9's I'm not 100% sure if they own them or are leasing them. Now the 573 I was always under the impression that it was still owned by Guilford and is being leased to the Conway Scenic, maybe why they used it for a couple of there local runs before being returned to N. Conway (so I was told). Now for the new engines I want to say they own them because I do remember one of the Conway Scenic employees saying something like "its nice to have some engines that we can operate as are own" I know each engine coast well into the six figures weather leased or bought.