Railroad Forums 

• Ringling Bros 2017

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1428767  by jhdeasy

I've now heard (secondhand) of two other successful bidders:

A former "INN" series coach rebuilt from a PRR sleeper has been acquired by Dearing Railroad LLC, the current owner of Amtrak certified business car 800029 DEARING.

Seven (7) cars, including a power car, were acquired by Passenger Railcar Services - "PAXRAIL" - (Chicago IL), a business that currently owns Amtrak certified dome 800290 STAMPEDE PASS and food service lounge 800644 WARRIORS REST.

Sorry, I have no RBBX car numbers for these cars.

Congratulations to these car owners on their newest acquisitions.
 #1428874  by Disney Guy

Last Manchester NH performance at "SNHU" arena (corner Elm Rte. 3 and Granite) Sunday March 23 at 6 PM. Preparations for loading the train may begin shortly after the show starts and equipment gradually moved from the arena as acts are completed.

Equipment train (2 cars) can be seen from the stadium (not the arena) about a half mile south of Granite St. via S. Commercial St. Or can be seen when you go south on Elm from Granite St then right on Auburn (Market Basket) and left behind the Firestone store.

Personnel train (about 20 cars including sleeping cars) is in Nashua about 15 miles away. Take Crown St. east (runs parallel to Rte. 111 E. Hollis St.) almost to its eastern end (at the river) and there is a driveway on the right with an EPA environmental sign going to the railroad yard where the train in three pieces sits. The cast and crew got bussed to and from here each day.

Possible movement of some of the cars in Nashua up to Manchester during Sunday for equipment loading.
 #1429265  by jhdeasy

jhdeasy wrote: A former "INN" series coach rebuilt from a PRR sleeper has been acquired by Dearing Railroad LLC, the current owner of Amtrak certified business car 800029 DEARING.
Dearing Railroad LLC was the successful bidder for RBBX 41307, originally built as PRR 8267 LEWISTON INN. They plan to rebuild it as an Amtrak certified executive sleeper with six master bedrooms, each bedroom having its own toilet facilities and shower annex. The fact that each bedroom will have its own shower will make it a rather unique passenger car, definitely targeted at top end clientele. Conversion/upgrade work is to be done at C. P. Huntington Railway Historical Society's facility at Huntington WV.

An individual has acquired two RBBX cars for stationary service as part of a business in Dubois, PA.

Successful first round bidders tell me that after the final performances of the circus, both trainsets will be moved to CSAO Oak Island Yard in northern New Jersey, where cars will be set-out for movement by new owners. Unsold cars will be moved to Florida pending disposition.

Amtrak mechanical dept appears willing to provide new owners of these cars with a one way move to home shop, but has made it clear that any future movement on Amtrak will require a full "40 year" truck teardown and rebuild, as well as the full set of PC-1 thru PC-7 inspections and documentation.
 #1429591  by NashuaActon&Boston

Caught the PAR Circus Extra move from Worcester, MA to Manchester, NH rolling through Ayer, Westford and Chelmsford, MA about twelve days back and made my way up to see the circus last Sunday in Manchester. Good shows, impressive turnout for both. The reaction to the Circus Train by "ordinary" people stuck at the gate in traffic was most rewarding. People were stunned, getting out of their cars. Everyone who inquired w/ me was aware the RB&B&B Circus was soon to cease operations. The huge railfan contingent at every crossing, the crowds, helped to draw people out of homes and businesses. I'd witnessed the Circus Extra before (with elephants) but this was something special.
 #1429673  by thutchinson

Ok, i live in VA 200 yards from the NS line in the Valley. The circus train comes by here monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday on its way to WV. Anyone know when?
 #1429714  by Backshophoss

The move to Charleston will start after the Circus crew loads everything onboard after the last show in Balto.
The Trains map shows routing on NS from DC to Riverton,then Roanoke,Bluefield to Charleston.
Since there's NO set schedule,it's hard to say when the Circus Train pass thru where you live.
Should arrive in Charleston Wed night 05/03/17,
 #1429731  by dgvrengineer

I talked today to a friend who is a conductor on the NS Valley line about the train. He asked his Road Foreman and was told that it is now scheduled to run the main line from
Manassas to Lynchburg then to Roanoke rather than Manassas to Riverton Jct to Roanoke. I am disappointed as I was hoping to film it in Front Royal.
 #1430174  by johnhenry

A friend reported seeing the circus train in Worcester on Monday May 1st. Apparently it was on its way from Hartford to Providence (via P&W on last leg). The last show is in Providence this Sunday May 7th. Does anyone know where the train will head after that? Will it head back up through Worcester? And when?
 #1430317  by chrisa

I am working on a photographic essay about the end of the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus. Since they are coming to Nassau Coliseum again for their final performances, I thought there might be an opportunity to catch some "behind the scenes" shots while they are unloading the famous circus train. Since there were posts on the subject on this forum a few years ago, I thought this would be a good place to look for answers to some questions:

1. It looks like the train is usually parked at East Garden City Yard, which I am having a surprisingly difficult time locating on a map. Can anyone confirm this, and/or tell me how to find it ?!

2. I've got the impression that the train is usually (or maybe always) unloaded at night. Is this intentional, or just a coincidence?

3. I'm assuming they move most of the equipment/animals to the Coliseum by truck from the yard. Any idea what route they take?

4. Probably most importantly: Is there anything worth taking pictures of? The trains themselves are very interesting, and I would like to incorporate at least one picture of that into my essay, but I'm mostly looking for the human element. Obviously they're not parading elephants down the street these days, but is there anything "circus-like" about unloading the train, or is it visually closer to simply moving freight?

5. During their run of shows at the Coliseum, what is access like at the yard where the train is kept? Is it an open yard, or gated with security? I know performers' (and trainers', etc) families are there, and I certainly don't want to disturb anyone looking for privacy... But it's a traveling city! This is the most fascinating thing to me. I would like to capture a glimpse of what this life is like... before it is gone forever.

Any insight you guys can offer will be much appreciated.
 #1430326  by John_Perkowski

jhdeasy wrote:Amtrak mechanical dept appears willing to provide new owners of these cars with a one way move to home shop, but has made it clear that any future movement on Amtrak will require a full "40 year" truck teardown and rebuild, as well as the full set of PC-1 thru PC-7 inspections and documentation.
Jack, I thought all the RBBX passenger cars were current on their Amtrak PC inspections. I guess you are saying here otherwise.
 #1430382  by Backshophoss

The Circus train moves will be late night/ early AM when there's the least amount of passenger traffic on the rail lines.
Timing will depend when Amtrak hands off the Circus train at Harold tower to LIRR.
Then the run on the mainline thru Jamaica till it gets to Queens Tower,then runs on the Hempstead Branch to Garden,then is put on the Garden/Micthell
Secondary Track.
You should be able to take photos at all the Public Grade Crossings,after all the switching is done,
there might be a RR police presence to provide security for the train untill they head home.
Most of their equipment and sets are containerized on the flat cars on the end of the train,not much there to see

There also might be some "protesters" from "PETA" type groups protesting the use of animals at the circus .
 #1430430  by jhdeasy

John_Perkowski wrote: Jack, I thought all the RBBX passenger cars were current on their Amtrak PC inspections. I guess you are saying here otherwise.
It appears that the situation is otherwise.

The current information provided to those individuals who have inquired is that the future operation of any former RBBX car as a PV on the Amtrak system is contingent on compliance with Amtrak SMP 28603 and completion of the full series of PC-1 thru PC-7 inspections and documentation forms. It appears these cars may not be fully compliant with SMP 28603. Their unique HEP installation is one example of deviations from the SMP. In addition, some have told me that maintenance (including inspection) history records may not be available to purchasers. That could mean that Feld Entertainment is not providing those historical records to car buyers, or that Amtrak does not have adequate inspection documentation on file for these cars, or some combination of those factors.

Caveat Emptor!
 #1430552  by DogBert

Backshophoss wrote:The Circus train moves will be late night/ early AM when there's the least amount of passenger traffic on the rail lines.
Timing will depend when Amtrak hands off the Circus train at Harold tower to LIRR.
Then the run on the mainline thru Jamaica till it gets to Queens Tower,then runs on the Hempstead Branch to Garden,then is put on the Garden/Micthell
Secondary Track.
You should be able to take photos at all the Public Grade Crossings,after all the switching is done,
there might be a RR police presence to provide security for the train untill they head home.
Most of their equipment and sets are containerized on the flat cars on the end of the train,not much there to see

There also might be some "protesters" from "PETA" type groups protesting the use of animals at the circus .
Do you know offhand what night they'll be coming through Harold? I'm guessing wednesday or thursday, if their first show on the island is friday night.
 #1430580  by LINYARailfan

According to what I have heard the circus move to LI will arrive on May 10th at Harold at 11:00am with an expected arrival time in Garden City around 2:00pm.
On the other hand the circus move leaving LI will happen on May 22-23rd? around 10:00pm with an expected handover to Amtrak around 11:30pm.
That is all I know as of right now as things may change.
 #1430623  by dgvrengineer

Schedule shows: Harrisburg, PA 5/9 @18:15, Arr Newark 5/10 @2:00 NS deliver to Amtrak Dept Newark 10:00, Arr Harold Tower 11:00 Dept Harold 12:01 Arr Garden City,NY 16:30.
Schedule also says:"The Circus Train is to run ahead of schedule if possible and not held for departure times scheduled below." As you can see, there is a lot of slack in the
schedule and the train often runs ahead of its published schedule.