Railroad Forums 

• Portsmouth Branch Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1630293  by oibu

Is there any regularity for when they go to portmouth? Still called do-1 or has the new operator renamed it?
 #1630336  by oibu

Really, that often? I thought in the recent past it was only a couple times a week, sometimes tying down at portsmouth and picking up where they left off etc. Still running from Rigby or has it gone back to actually running out of dover?
 #1630342  by MECFAN

Job runs Rigby to Portsmouth and back. DO-2 usually runs it to Portland from wherever DO-1 leaves off and gets it as far back to Portsmouth as they have time to. Could be left at Dover, Rockingham or all the way into Portsmouth.
 #1630343  by oibu

OK so it is really 2 crews making a constant relay. Any idea how many actual round trips they make? Do1/2 workPretty much mon-fri I assume?
 #1630352  by MECFAN

It all depends lately its been 4 to 5 roundtrips. DO-2 didn't run Friday night so the train is still in Portsmouth. So the PH-1 Crew will probably take it to Rigby and head it back possibly getting back to Portsmouth for DO-1 to take over Monday morning. PH-1 is the gravel train crew which doesn't run on Sunday nights.
 #1630370  by oibu

OK thanks. So is the old DOBO now PH-1, or you mean that crew is a local crew on sundays (only) going by PH-1?
 #1630379  by MECFAN

Yes, or you mean that crew is a local crew on Sundays (only) going by PH-1?
There is probably a new CSX symbol for it also just like LO 63/64 for DO-1/2 I'm an old dog haven't learned the new trick yet!!
 #1630386  by oibu

I haven't learned the silly csx symbols yet either. They go by L-whatever on the radio? And yes, my question on ph1 was that you meant they take the gravel off nhn. I'll be passing through that area on or about this coming weekend or early next week and again either the following weekend or early the following week- not sure how regularly you see/hear the portsmouth branch jobs but is there anywhere regular progress reports get posted or would you be able to post on them here? All the times I've been through there I've never managed to find a train out on the branch.
 #1630392  by newpylong

They aren't really silly....they're just a number assigned to a location. It's not like ST locals ever worked where they were assigned anyway lol.
 #1630424  by Jonathan603

oibu wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:15 pm I'll be passing through that area on or about this coming weekend or early next week and again either the following weekend or early the following week- not sure how regularly you see/hear the portsmouth branch jobs but is there anywhere regular progress reports get posted or would you be able to post on them here?
I live and work either end of the branch line so often hear/see the trains. If you subscribe to https://guilfordrailsightings.groups.io/g/main I will post there if I hear something this week. Or PM me and i'll email you if I hear anything.
 #1630436  by oibu

[Quote/]
I live and work either end of the branch line so often hear/see the trains. If you subscribe to https://guilfordrailsightings.groups.io/g/main I will post there if I hear something this week. Or PM me and i'll email you if I hear anything.[/quote]

Thanks Jonathan603, I see your reports- if you could keep posting like that over the next couple of weeks that would awesome, at least it would tell me if they are on the branch or what way there are headed when, with a little luck maybe they'll be out there when I am in the area. Thanks!
 #1630520  by Jonathan603

Not sure how long ago they changed it but I noticed today that CSX have changed the mile post markings on the Portsmouth branch. I usually hear them get papers from P1 to Emery but today P1 was referred to as PMP-13 and a mile down the track the next marker was 12. So instead of counting up to Portsmouth it's now down. I wonder where PMP-1 is? Maybe near Sprague? I think there is an MP past Patterson Lane so maybe that is P1?