Railroad Forums 

• Portsmouth Branch Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1621549  by rxr717

In addition to replacing the rail w welded rail, I’m assuming new ties will be dropped off. Does anyone know the timeline? Forgive me if this was already covered, but I couldn’t find it so thought I’d throw it out there.
 #1621907  by Who

The probably will, but Pan Am did replace a decent number of ties not too long ago, they even dumped some stone and tamped the line to bring it up to Class 2 standards.
 #1622031  by rxr717

Thanks Who. On a sep note, does anyone know what type of bridge was originally used on the branch near Stratham. My friend and I noticed Pylons jetting out from side to side, indicating possible swing bridge? But can’t find photo or history on it.
 #1624310  by Jonathan603

No Navy trains have crossed the bridge in almost 12 months and to my knowledge the empty nuclear fuel container that was delivered in September 2021 has not returned. I wonder when we will see it return?
 #1625009  by arthur d.

Jonathan603 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:55 pm No Navy trains have crossed the bridge in almost 12 months and to my knowledge the empty nuclear fuel container that was delivered in September 2021 has not returned. I wonder when we will see it return?
When it's full. Probably used to store and eventually transport low level waste. ie, small contaminated components, tools, PPE, etc.
 #1625773  by Jonathan603

Info on the station building from www.Rockinghamjunction.net

After many designs, approaches, and ideas the final plans for the renovation of the Rockingham Junction are complete and approved. Beginning in August work will start on the excavation and preparation for the building move which will occur in September. During construction and post completion, we will continue to ensure access for the public. The design of the new Junction will include replacement of all exterior elements including roof, doors, windows, and siding. The building form will be restored to the original design with the operators bay reverting to a covered porch.

While the move off the rail to the new location in the adjacent field will disappoint some, it is truly the best solution for the long-term preservation. A fresh foundation and a bit of relief from railroad restrictions will be a relief to the old building. Restoring this little piece of history is a fun and challenging passion project.
 #1625955  by artman

Jonathan603 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:14 pm
rxr717 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:22 pm My friend and I noticed Pylons jetting out from side to side, indicating possible swing bridge? But can’t find photo or history on it.
Check out page 22-23 at https://www.nh.gov/nhdhr/publications/d ... ges_nh.pdf for some nice info.
Thank you for this link. Excellent geek stuff!