Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Don31

Thomas wrote:
Don31 wrote: was taken off the agenda of yesterday's Board meeting, so who knows? I do know that there is some money allocated for it though...
1. How much money?

2. When does the Port Authority plan to discuss this Project?
1. I'm not sure, sorry.

2. Don't know. Things get put on and taken off the Board's agenda all the time, for numerous reasons.
  by OportRailfan

Did some housekeeping. Before asking a question, try googling whatever you are looking for. Port Authority has plenty of documents available online... http://www.panynj.gov
  by Don31

Thomas wrote:I wonder what the speeds will be for the Path Extension once it opens.
Ask me again next week (remind me via a PM), I've got the service plan in my office, but I'm not going in tomorrow.....
  by bleet

Article in today's WSJ discusses the horse-trading going on regarding the extension. Here's a link although you may need a subscription to access it.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... h+christie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a reaction piece which I think is pretty on the money.

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2013/09/30 ... extension/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by lirr42

Thomas wrote:Is it likely for a new station to be built in Southern Newark in addition to the current Rail Station?
Now that's a good question Thomas! I'm not quite sure. I don't think plans call for one at the moment.
  by Thomas

I heard that Booker is trying to get that done since it would support Newark's economy and help increase PATH ridership.

Which option has higher probability of getting built: PATH Extension to Newark's Terminals or the current Rail Station?
  by Don31

Thomas wrote:Is it likely for a new station to be built in Southern Newark in addition to the current Rail Station?
No, not at all if the current financing plan is still in effect. The PA will be using PFCs (Passenger Facility Charges) to partly finance the project. If so, the FAA specifically prohibits anything non-airport related (such as an additional Newark station) to be included. The PA tried to get around this about 10 years ago, but couldn't.
  by Thomas

I have heard that the Port Authority will be running 10-car trains between Newark and Manhattan. But, is this likely to occur before or after the Newark Airport Extension gets completed?
  by 25Hz

A few points here....

One, newark could use an additional station, so at least the provision for another station between NWK and the rail link should be included. Perhaps south street?

Another thing, is that who the hell wants a big noisy PATH train going to all the terminals when you got a fast and quiet airtrain that is due to get an upgrade anyways? The PATH cars can go as fast as 70 mph, but are restricted to i believe 55 or 60, can you imagine the snail's pace between the terminals? Makes no sense.

Another thing that bothers me is the assumption that it's some straight shot from nwk to the rail link. Firstly, you have amtrak's catenary towers, several highway overpasses and along the viaduct through newark you'd need an elevated causeway, and at some point the line would need to cross over the NEC, as there is no space on the west side of the ROW, and you have waverly yard.... how do you go around that?

And, i dunno where atlantic city airport is coming into play. You take the train or a bus from AC to KPHL. KPHL is going to be getting some runway upgrades, as is newark, so.. moot points both.
  by Don31

25Hz wrote:A few points here....

One, newark could use an additional station, so at least the provision for another station between NWK and the rail link should be included. Perhaps south street?

Another thing that bothers me is the assumption that it's some straight shot from nwk to the rail link. Firstly, you have amtrak's catenary towers, several highway overpasses and along the viaduct through newark you'd need an elevated causeway, and at some point the line would need to cross over the NEC, as there is no space on the west side of the ROW, and you have waverly yard.... how do you go around that?
As long as FAA funding (PFCs) is involved, there will not be an intermediate station, period. They won't budge on that.

It is pretty much a straight shot. All of the issues you mention were addressed in the Stage I Design Study.
  by Don31

Thomas wrote:Don,

Did you read my last PM?
Just sent you an answer Thomas, sorry for the delay.....
  by 25Hz

Don31 wrote:
25Hz wrote:A few points here....

As long as FAA funding (PFCs) is involved, there will not be an intermediate station, period. They won't budge on that.

It is pretty much a straight shot. All of the issues you mention were addressed in the Stage I Design Study.
Could you pint me to a PDF regarding that design study if such exists?