Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1229494  by Don31

25Hz wrote:On the second point... Over the span of several years I often spent many hours waiting at the rail link, terminal bus stops, and inside terminal A looking out over the ramp operations to pass time... Anecdotal, yes... Insignificant, no. But as you correctly stated, studies and the like exist and data clearly supports one thing or another. In this case, data may not support a station at south street, and of course the PA cannot build a station if ridership indications are below a certain threshold, or if some other requirements removed a south street station as am option. I suppose my position then at this point, is to hope that if data changes, that provisions for a station, or at the very least not building something irreversible at that location be what ends up happening. :)

I'd also add thanks for your input on all of this, and for your patience with my particular way of approaching things.
I've been working on the PATH-EWR Extension, off and on, for over 10 years. South Street has nothing to do with ridership data or forecasts. If the PA takes PFC money for the project, which they likely will, then federal regulations would prohibit any intermediate stop, South Street or otherwise, regardless of any present or forecast need.

And you are welcome. Don't worry, I'm used to how you present things and enjoy the back and forth..... :-D
 #1229773  by Fan Railer

Not sure if this was posted here (I don't think it was), but a major component of Christie's backing of the PATH extension was put into place recently:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 19271.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NEWARK, N.J., Nov. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced the airline will inaugurate service at Atlantic City International Airport, offering customers daily nonstop flights to United's hubs at Chicago O'Hare International Airport and Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport.
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and United Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Jeff Smisek announced the service, which begins April 1, 2014, at a news conference at Newark Liberty International Airport, where United operates the region's largest airline hub.
"I thank Governor Christie for fostering a business-friendly climate that has enabled New Jersey to remain a critical hub for global aviation," said Smisek. "United's new Atlantic City service will drive business, tourism and economic development throughout the southern part of the state."
"It speaks volumes that a company like United Airlines recognizes the full and future potential of Atlantic City International Airport," said Gov. Christie. "The decision to bring air service to the seaside resort opens Atlantic City and ACY to the world while expanding travel service opportunities for the people of the South Jersey region."
Chicago and Houston are United's largest hub airports. The airline's new flights will enable one-stop service between Atlantic City and points throughout the Midwest and western United States, Canada, Asia and Latin America.
From Chicago, United's flight to Atlantic City will depart at 8:10 a.m. daily, arriving at 11:17 a.m. The return flight will depart Atlantic City at 11:52 a.m. and arrive in Chicago at 1:10 p.m.
From Houston, United's flight to Atlantic City will depart at 7 p.m. daily, arriving at 11:20 p.m. The return flight will depart Atlantic City at 6 a.m. and arrive in Houston at 8:49 a.m.
United Express carrier ExpressJet will operate the Atlantic City flights with 50-seat Embraer ERJ-145 aircraft.
 #1229820  by Don31

What the Big Fella in Trenton doesn't understand is that United is pretty much at capacity at Newark. What would be the benefit to them of a PATH-EWR extension? They can barely handle the passengers they have now.....
 #1230598  by 25Hz

Don31 wrote:What the Big Fella in Trenton doesn't understand is that United is pretty much at capacity at Newark. What would be the benefit to them of a PATH-EWR extension? They can barely handle the passengers they have now.....
That 3rd parallel runway still in the works? Saw some pretty interesting concept art in that one PA presentation for the area's airports... If so capacity could be upped...

Also, I'm a Boeing guy, so I wonder if United would get a few 747-8's to handle more pax, and what's going on with A-300 at KEWR?

Both could really help in the capacity dept if I'm not mistaken.

Also... Some fleet management changes without new purchases may be a simple short term fix? 3 737 or 2 777, you know? This isn't 1994, time to address capacity issues so that airlines can really take advantage of the next gen nav system ... Cut down route miles and save time and fuel etc.

But hey, one thing at a time is better than the extension never built.
 #1230617  by morris&essex4ever

25Hz wrote:
Don31 wrote:What the Big Fella in Trenton doesn't understand is that United is pretty much at capacity at Newark. What would be the benefit to them of a PATH-EWR extension? They can barely handle the passengers they have now.....
That 3rd parallel runway still in the works? Saw some pretty interesting concept art in that one PA presentation for the area's airports... If so capacity could be upped...

Also, I'm a Boeing guy, so I wonder if United would get a few 747-8's to handle more pax, and what's going on with A-300 at KEWR?

Both could really help in the capacity dept if I'm not mistaken.

Also... Some fleet management changes without new purchases may be a simple short term fix? 3 737 or 2 777, you know? This isn't 1994, time to address capacity issues so that airlines can really take advantage of the next gen nav system ... Cut down route miles and save time and fuel etc.

But hey, one thing at a time is better than the extension never built.
With the 777-9x/8x launched, the 747-8 is pretty much dead for the passenger version. As much as I love the 747, the reality is it's nearing the end of the line with more efficient twin jets.
 #1231947  by Don31

25Hz wrote:What is the estimated speed/trip time each direction, any ideas?
Remind me next week. I have the Service Plan in my office......
 #1232126  by 25Hz

The rail link station is not locally accessed by the riding public. The point of it is to ......link..... the airport and the rail infrastructure, that being the NEC and soon PATH.

No acces... no parking lot/garage!

And Don, was wondering if you had those numbers for trip time and speed yet? I know NEC trains can do it decently but they usually don't get up above 45 due to how close they are and all the signals in the vicinity. An 8 car PA5 train could prolly get there faster i'm guessing.
 #1232262  by Adirondacker

25Hz wrote:The rail link station is not locally accessed by the riding public. The point of it is to ......link..... the airport and the rail infrastructure, that being the NEC and soon PATH.

No acces... no parking lot/garage!
There are thousands of parking spaces accessible to the station. At Airtrain stops P1, P2, P3 and P4.
 #1232376  by Don31

25Hz wrote:
And Don, was wondering if you had those numbers for trip time and speed yet? I know NEC trains can do it decently but they usually don't get up above 45 due to how close they are and all the signals in the vicinity. An 8 car PA5 train could prolly get there faster i'm guessing.
I'll look when I go back to work tomorrow. If you don't hear from me, remind me please.....