• Pan Am Repaint Thread

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by drcrf93

CN9634 wrote:Very nice! The 516 is missing the nose logo though!! This confirms the NS business train is coming.
It's strange that neither 516 or 517 didn't get a nose logo. 506 didn't get one right away either. It makes them look more detailed. I think it is a very nice looking train though!!
  by obienick

drcrf93 wrote:
CN9634 wrote:Very nice! The 516 is missing the nose logo though!! This confirms the NS business train is coming.
It's strange that neither 516 or 517 didn't get a nose logo. 506 didn't get one right away either. It makes them look more detailed. I think it is a very nice looking train though!!
Perhaps they just ran out of time, and wanted both units painted and dried for their expedition?
  by MEC407

The 517 and the two cars were seen going through the car wash at Boston Engine Terminal, and my first thought was "I hope the paint is completely dried!" :wink:

I also saw some overhead shots of the train on NERAIL, and it looks like they didn't completely paint the tops of the cars. I know this is common practice with boxcars... but passenger cars? The car tops were painted when they were still in Guilford paint. I wonder if they plan to finish painting them at a later date, or if this was yet another cost-saving measure.
  by mec 381

Does anyone know why the 516 wasn't with the buisness train in Boston?
  by atsf sp

mec 381 wrote:Does anyone know why the 516 wasn't with the buisness train in Boston?
It was spitting oil out of its stack. It met up with the Business Train this morning.
  by KSmitty

That train looks good, who knew the railroad really is Pan Am Railways??? :-D I like the dark blue on the widecabs and high hoods a lot better than on the other GP40's. Something about it just looks better, and I like the flag being up front!
  by drcrf93

I just saw pics MEC 381 on NERAIL. I noticed that was on the unconfirmed list. It was at East Deerfield Yard this evening.
  by MEC407

drcrf93 wrote:I just saw pics MEC 381 on NERAIL. I noticed that was on the unconfirmed list. It was at East Deerfield Yard this evening.
Photo: http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?pho ... 211591.jpg

Not much room on the nose for a globe on that one. :wink:
  by drcrf93

MEC407 wrote:Not much room on the nose for a globe on that one. :wink:
That's what I thought when I heard it may be painted. I personally think that one looks really nice in Guilford paint, espically with it's unique placement of the headlights.
  by CN9634

Confirmed thanks for the update. Will remove from the list. Perhaps they decided against it because of the nose lights (Kidding of course!). Will be interested to see if the 517/516 go back in for nose globes!
  by thebigham

Are 516 and 517 used on freight trains at all or are they just used for the OCS train?
  by Dick H

The 516 and the 517 are used on regular freight jobs when not on OCS duty. They usually head into the Waterville shop several days before an OCS run for a wash and wax job. I expect that policy will continue even after the recent repaint.

Dick
  by guilford88panam

shadyjay wrote:Looks like we got a second B&M unit in Pan-Am colors... #326, according to latest photo on NERAIL:
http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=155845
It looks good!