Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Repaint Thread

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#709414  by obienick

KSmitty wrote:I wonder whats with the new rush. They went a year doing nothing, and now they have (counting unconfirmed) 4-5 repaints this summer. Does the PAS deal have anything to do with it?
That, or the economy is so down they can now afford to sideline them for painting.
 #709472  by guilfordrailfan

KSmitty wrote:I wonder whats with the new rush. They went a year doing nothing, and now they have (counting unconfirmed) 4-5 repaints this summer. Does the PAS deal have anything to do with it?
There have been two locomotives painted this summer. They were:
370 released about 6/5/09
327 released about 8/14/09
In addition, the two business cars were repainted and released the last week of July 2009.

These were the first locomotive repaints since 4 (506, 307, 350, 352) were repainted during summer 2008. And those four were the first locos repainted since 505 & 511 were repainted in the phase 1 scheme in late 2006. There were no loco repaints in 2007. There are rumors that the painting might continue, but that remains to be seen. I hope it does continue. It will remain difficult for people to call the railroad "Pan Am Railways" as long as most of their locomotives say "Guilford Rail System".
 #709559  by MEC407

As an aside, I was looking at photos of the business train yesterday -- photos of when it was in Guilford paint -- and I kept thinking to myself, "Gee, it looks so colorful compared to the new paint scheme." I can't believe I actually used the word "colorful" to describe the old Guilford livery. Never thought that would happen!
 #709735  by newpylong

Be prepared to see them all in Maine. The rumor is 30 4 Axles coming from the NS for the PAS, the ST junkers will remain up north.
 #709842  by guilfordrailfan

newpylong wrote:Be prepared to see them all in Maine. The rumor is 30 4 Axles coming from the NS for the PAS, the ST junkers will remain up north.
Ahhhh rumors is right! There have been rumors of NS sending 30-some locomotives to operate PAS since at least the beginning of 2009, if not longer. I've heard that NS really want PAS to use more reliable power (NS's) and PAR has shot down the idea. PAR actually wants to run the railroad with their broken down junk. But that's another rumor. At any rate and all rumors aside, I think it's a safe bet that NS is going to lose patience with the PAR way of doing things one of these days...

And to keep this thread on topic lest the moderators complain :-D , isn't there something due out of the Waterville paint shop any day now?

#710141  by drcrf93

CN9634 wrote:Thanks Dan for confirmation. I'll try to see if I can find out what is being painted but for now it is a mystery...
Yes, I was hoping to see it today. :-) I was surprised it had not been painted though.
 #714246  by KSmitty

Has the 509 been repainted? I see it isn't on the list. I just saw a train (NMED) heading south through Monmouth 3:00pm.the second unit was blue. The number looked like 509, but it may have been 506. I was to far away to see clearly.

Just wondering.
 #714260  by guilfordrailfan

KSmitty wrote:Has the 509 been repainted? I see it isn't on the list. I just saw a train (NMED) heading south through Monmouth 3:00pm.the second unit was blue. The number looked like 509, but it may have been 506. I was to far away to see clearly.

Just wondering.
509 is not repainted, but 506 is and so far is the only GP40-2W to be repainted dark blue. So, it was probably 506 that you saw. BTW, 516 is "rumored" to be in the paint shop now.
 #714263  by drcrf93

I believe 509 is out of service in Waterville. It was probably 506. That one has been in Maine recently.
 #714328  by KSmitty

Thanks guys, I figured it was the 506 but ya never know, and I was hoping the 509 had been repainted :wink:
guilfordrailfan wrote: BTW, 516 is "rumored" to be in the paint shop now.

That would be nice, 516 is one of the "OCS locomotives" isn't it, if it is the business train would have widecab power again :-D
 #722755  by MEC407

#722766  by CN9634

Very nice! The 516 is missing the nose logo though!! This confirms the NS business train is coming.