Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Repaint Thread

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#851801  by CFD125

Hi guys, new guy here.

Does anybody know which unit is oos in the phase 1 paint scheme, as mentioned earlier?

Does anybody know what was the first unit to have the Pan Am Railways slanted forward, as opposed to rearward, on the engineers side?

Thanks in advance, and nice to be here.

Bob V.
 #852088  by mec 381

Non of the repaints are out of service, as far as I know. I do know that MEC 511 has been around Waterville for about a week any way. Its been used for switching. Don't know were MEC 505 is right now.
 #852209  by KSmitty

CFD125 wrote:Does anybody know which unit is oos in the phase 1 paint scheme, as mentioned earlier?
Does anybody know what was the first unit to have the Pan Am Railways slanted forward, as opposed to rearward, on the engineers side?
Thanks in advance, and nice to be here.

Bob V.
According to Bill Gingrich's roster for August, so yeah, its 20 days old, shows the 352-OOS since mid July, 337-as repainted in mid August should be back soon, 503-repainted in August, its been reported out and about in September, 505-OOS since late June 2010, and 600 is OOS, 601 is being repainted (should be out by now) and the 603 has been reported out and about.

So, 352, 505 and 600 are in PAR paint and are definitely OOS. 505 is in PAR Ph. 1 while 352 and 600 are in the current PAR Ph. 2.
337 and 601 may be OOS.
603 and 503 have definitely been in service in September.

I think the forward PAR started on either the 345 or 501, either way, they have been showing up with the forward slant now for a couple months, it may even be on a majority of the Ph. 2 paints at this point, I'm not sure.

Hope that answers your questions.

Welcome to the forums!
 #852317  by CFD125

Yes, thank you, that does answer my questions.

I see the 505 was the Ph.1 unit being referred to as oos.

I thought for a moment (hopefully), that a third unit had recieved the Ph.1 paint job, and I did not know about it.

Ph.1 gets my vote for the better looking livery, although, maybe a white separation stripe between the two colors would have been slick.
 #852374  by guilfordrailfan

The latest info I have (which isn't much newer than the last summary) indicates that 601 is now in service and out-of-service 505 either just has or is about to receive its second coat of Pan Am paint, this time dark blue. Everything else is the same as far as I know.

Regarding the change in slant of the engineer's side lettering, my records indicate that change first occured in Dec 2009 with 382 being the first one. 382 and all subsequent repaints have "Pan Am Railways" slanting from left to right on both sides. The only Phase II (dark blue) repaints with the earler right to left slant on the engineers side would be:
506, 307, 350, 352, 370, 327, 516, 517, 326, as well as the passenger cars 100 & 101.
 #852630  by KSmitty

So there going to repaint the 505, WOW, I figured the two Ph. 1's would outlast the GRS painted locomotives...
guilfordrailfan wrote:The only Phase II (dark blue) repaints with the earler right to left slant on the engineers side would be:
506, 307, 350, 352, 370, 327, 516, 517, 326, as well as the passenger cars 100 & 101.
So the didn't even "splurge" enough to make the FP9's match the business cars?
 #852657  by guilfordrailfan

I should clarify that 505 being painted is just a rumor I heard. There have not been any official sightings or confirmation of it being painted. Keep your eyes open for ANYTHING to be repainted. Within a couple years it all will be. :-)

Regarding the lettering on the F-units not matching the lettering slant on the passenger cars, I personally don't think it is a matter of "splurging" or not. The original idea of the lettering always slanting toward the rear of the unit (as if being swept by the wind) was novel and pretty cool. In application, however, it didn't quite work as intended. I suspect after 516 & 517 pulled the OCS in October 2009 management realized how goofy the lettering looked when the units were back to back. In a lashup with numerous locomotives pointing different directions it would look even worse. Or... maybe it was just a matter of saving money on the decals. Either way, by December 2009 the decision was made to have a "normal" left-to-right slant on both sides, which DOES look much better. Not to be picky, but there is still a minor problem with it. Now, on the engineer's (right) side the lettering slant and the direction of the logo behind the cab are pointed toward each other instead of going the same direction. I think we can live with that problem. LOL! I can't say the same thing about the absurd looking lack of nose logo on the 500's, but that's a whole 'nuther issue...
 #852729  by MEC407

That's what happens when you take an AVIATION livery and adapt it to a railroad. Airplanes aren't meant to operate backwards, or in tandem back to back...
 #859174  by KSmitty

Wow, 378 looks good. I love the way the highhoods look in PAR paint. Its like the scheme was made for them.
 #859180  by calaisbranch

I got to see the 378 while stopping by NMJ just a little later. By then, a crew that looked like those from NM-1 had pulled away the lead two locos and were switching way down at the east end of the yard. Fortunately, the sun was out, too. Those high-hoods really do look sweet. I hate to harp on the matter, but the wheel covers painted blue pretty much insults those old EMDs! Otherwise, they look real sharp. Too add to Travis' first pic of 378.....

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20101 ... 525894.jpg
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20101 ... 026107.jpg