Railroad Forums 

• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VALE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#914040  by Amtrak7

What is this "Saybrook Special"? I emailed Valley asking about it, since there's no mention of it anywhere else on their site.

I wish it started at OSB, if that's what it means!
 #914067  by Cosmo

Amtrak7 wrote:What is this "Saybrook Special"? I emailed Valley asking about it, since there's no mention of it anywhere else on their site.

I wish it started at OSB, if that's what it means!
That will be a special move on "Caboose Days" that shoves from SX down almost to OSB, then run through Essex on up the line from there.
It will be the first (1100?) train of the day on those days.
 #914199  by onehandfireman

The funny thing is that the steam was at first PINK! They were blowing out the throttle passages when this shot was taken, presumably to blow out any rust or debris prior to installing the valves and pistons. One heck of a roar!
 #914287  by Amtrak7

This is what was sent to me:
Thanks for your inquiry. For the 2011 season, on the first weekend of each month, the first train of the day will depart Essex station for Old Saybrook at 10:00 AM. Upon arrival at Old Saybrook, it will head back to Essex to become the
11:00 Steam Train & Riverboat.
Purchase tickets for any of the 11:00 AM options, and the 10:00 AM round trip to Old Saybrook is included at no extra cost. On those days, the ticket office will open at 9:30 AM.
Old Saybrook AND the boat for $26 is a deal. Will definitely be attending this (but must take taxi from OSB station because buses don't run that early).
 #916603  by daylight4449

Is the valley handicap accessable? My mom wants me to plan a trip for her girlscout troop, and gain experience for trying to re-start my Matt Young Limited project (otto should know what i'm talking about).
 #919341  by daylight4449

superwarp1 wrote:On the subject of freight on the valley. I know the former Governor wanted it. Did the project go anywhere or was it just talk?
This is the first I've heard of it, so I'm assuming it fell apart. Could someone confirm or deny my thought?
 #919361  by superwarp1

daylight4449 wrote:
superwarp1 wrote:On the subject of freight on the valley. I know the former Governor wanted it. Did the project go anywhere or was it just talk?
This is the first I've heard of it, so I'm assuming it fell apart. Could someone confirm or deny my thought?

Check this out from 2009 but I have not heard of anything since.

http://www.middletownpress.com/articles ... 542801.txt
 #919404  by Cosmo

There is talk that there is talk and there may be more talk. :razz:
Seriously though, if anything get's made official it will air here soon after.