Railroad Forums 

• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VALE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#903934  by onehandfireman

boatsmate wrote:thank you for the responces from last years theard, I find it kind of interesting that they would push teh train all the way back from saybrook and the run around to put heat on the train only to run back around to run to saybrook. but times have changed since I was there back in the early 80's
Capt Bill Former VRR Fireman

ebtmikado wrote:What you said about those run-arounds makes no sense, nor is it the way it's done.

Back when we did that the 0800 did the saw-by at OS after the flood of '82 and a few other times. What Bill doesn't know is that the cars used for the "South Polar" Express do not need steam heat as they have independent heating systems. (funny how I know that) lol so it's a push -pull operation from SX to OS with the only runaround at DR Bill, the train first runs north to DR, runs around there and back to SX with no stop and then shoves back to SX.
 #907321  by Jack Powell

By the time news makes its way around to some of us old-timers there may be an element of inaccuracy, but I recently heard, from a very reliable source, about a VRR trainman who was in the habit of bringing one of those annoying little yap-dogs onto to the property when he hung around on his days off, only to have the dumb thing run under the moving wheels of the 97 (and the rest, as they say, is history). I feel sorry for the engineer, and hope he's all right. It would be a real shame if children saw something like this happen.

Do any of you currently-active guys know anything about this? EBT Mikado, can you reconfirm this report, or do you now deny it?
 #907332  by boatsmate

one handed fireman,

thank you for the correction,and information. I knew there was something else. I did not know the cars had there own heat now..... I miss the days of having to put steam on the train every trip.... NOT
 #913340  by Cosmo

Reader#108 wrote:Did 3025 have a hydro today? I saw a picture on another site of it under steam outside of the roundhouse....
No.
The hydro was done MONTHS ago. I doubt it was 3025 you saw in steam OUTSIDE the enginehouse as her drivers are still unattached.
It was either a different engine or a different enginehouse.
 #913347  by Reader#108

Not rolling under steam....they were shoveling into the firebox and there was smoke coming out of the funnel....bright silver and no wheels, outside of the engine house in Essex .....saw it on my FB page
 #913354  by Cosmo

They may have drug her out on her skids in order to do the hydro, but I thought they just did it all in the shop with "salamander" heaters.
Either way, the way you worded it made it sound like it was fully assembled and rolling. That's still some time away yet, but we're workin towards that goal.
The hydro took place in January after the end of the season. #40 and 3025 were hydro'd at the same time.
 #913359  by Reader#108

In the infamous words of my 17 year old godson.....my b yo!.....lol......just can't wait for her to be finished and operable....looks like she is gonna be a gorgeous addition to the fleet....
 #913361  by Cosmo

Reader#108 wrote:In the infamous words of my 17 year old godson.....my b yo!.....lol......just can't wait for her to be finished and operable....looks like she is gonna be a gorgeous addition to the fleet....
Oh, that she will...
...especially the smokebox :wink:
 #913415  by daylight4449

Cosmo wrote:
Reader#108 wrote:In the infamous words of my 17 year old godson.....my b yo!.....lol......just can't wait for her to be finished and operable....looks like she is gonna be a gorgeous addition to the fleet....
Oh, that she will...
...especially the smokebox :wink:
And i can't wait to see her. I still have yet so see a normal operational steam engine. In my mind, the cog steamers and a climax don't count.
 #913496  by Cosmo

Ok, I've seen the picture now. Aparently YES they steamed her up outside the enginehouse...
...BEFORE I could finish painting the smokebox! XO
 #913713  by Reader#108

Dylan.....a steam engine is a steam engine......whether it be a Cog or a Climax.....just because they are small doesn't mean they are not.....

Believe me....they count.....if you don't believe me....go to the Mt Wash Cog thread....read all the stuff about the biodiesels.....

you should be thankful that you got/get to see variety in your equipment....