• Official Rahway Valley Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by GOLDEN-ARM

Baran, you can try this site. The process is easy, and you don't get "judged", on the quality/content of your photos. Regards :-D
http://photobucket.com/

by TheBaran

Thanks for the info...finally got DSL at home (last weekend) so I'll give photobucket a try (I figured uploading pix with dial-up would have been a nightmare). My office computer will not let me access that site (they use a program called "Websense" that screens internet sites - any community site with pictures is a no-no).

by GOLDEN-ARM

I actually have dial-up (although the hotel I am at right now, has wireless high speed. WOW ) and I had no problems with uploading the pictures, I have been using, on my avatars. Good luck. Regards :-D

by CNJFAN

Anyone know when the Sirr will be up and running?

by ChooChooHead2

Driving by on on South Ave in Cranford, I noticed new signs posted near the crossing, stating:
"STOP, LOOK, LISTEN - Test Trains using this crossing while signals are Temporarily Disabled"

A small sign of progress...

by AndyB

Saw this today.
It appears that the RVRR bridge over Morris Ave. in Union is coming down.
The backfill and elevated right of way behind the bridge pier, north side of Morris Ave., have been removed.
The bridge still spans Morris Ave. but how much longer??

by rvrrhs

AndyB wrote:Saw this today.
The backfill and elevated right of way behind the bridge pier, north side of Morris Ave., have been removed.
Not sure if the bridge is "coming down" exactly. There is a plan in place to widen Morris Ave., but it is highly likely the span will be replaced with a longer one.

About 20 feet of soil behind the north-side retaining wall/bridge pier has been excavated down to street level. We'll have to see if a new one is built, or if the elevated ROW is sloped down to street level.

by Ken W2KB

rvrrhs wrote:
AndyB wrote:Saw this today.
Not sure if the bridge is "coming down" exactly. There is a plan in place to widen Morris Ave., but it is highly likely the span will be replaced with a longer one.

About 20 feet of soil behind the north-side retaining wall/bridge pier has been excavated down to street level. We'll have to see if a new one is built, or if the elevated ROW is sloped down to street level.
Or if one direction of Morris Avenue goes under the existing bridge, and a new shorter bridge is constructed for the other direction, as was done for the EL when Ruote 17 was widened in the Rutherford area.

by AndyB

Can not see how they could widen Morris Ave much unless the plan is to take out both bridge piers. Just west of the north pier is a office complex that I estimate is only eight feet in from the curb. Not much room on that side. On the other side, there is Jager's Lumber parking lot with a little more room.

As for replacing it, I believe that is highly unlikely. There is nothing north of Morris Ave. that could justify the expense.

by Camelback

Tracklawyer,

I believe you are thinking of the wrong Morris Ave, the one in Summit. This is the one in Union.

by rvrrhs

So, if the goal is to remove the bridge outright, why wouldn't they have just taken it away first, before digging out behind the piers?

As to having the westbound lanes go to the north of the north pier, considering the locations of the CVS and the Ideal Office Park in relation to the street, I don't see how they could widen by more than one lane.

On the south side of the street, there's an unused building on the Jaeger Lumber property, and the parking lot for InterLux. Not as much of an obstacle.

As to "nothing north of Morris Ave. that could justify the expense," word was that would be the site of a team track or something. Then again, there are only about six commercial properties north of Morris Ave. before the ROW (as it exists now) ends.

As long as service is reestablished from Aldene to Summit (and the Union wye), I think we RV proponents could live without the stub north of Morris.
  by Douglas John Bowen

Thanks to Gary Baranowski who scolded anti-rail partisans (NIMBYs in particular) for their fluctuating, throw-anything stance on the Rahway Valley Line.

As it happens, the Briant Park Newsletter (Summit and Springfield) Web site has posted Mr. Baranowski's missive, published Nov. 27, allowing for easy access. See http://briantpark.home.att.net/rail_Lin ... _nimby.htm. The site is at best leery of freight rail restoration, so it's a tribute to Mr. Baranowski that the site's Webmaster(s) posted the letter anyway.

Numerous NJ-ARP members scanning their Sunday Star-Ledger Nov. 27 reported laughing out loud upon reading the piece. It's hard for us to offer a better compliment to the letter-writer. Nicely done.

by AndyB

First time trying to link, I hope this works.

The RVRR bridge over Morris Ave should be right in the middle.
You can also make out the siding into Jager Lumber
As they say a photo is worth a thousand words.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=union,+nj ... &t=k&hl=en

by RVRR Resurrected

looks like interlux has a siding too, which ends about 80-100 ft. before Morris.

Was the track always elevated? The gound level on either side of the track is even with everything else but the tracks are 15 feet above ground. Did the RVRR construct the elevated track when they built the railroad?

Id like to see what the town looks like without that. It really cuts the town in half.

by rvrrhs

RVRR Resurrected wrote:looks like interlux has a siding too, which ends about 80-100 ft. before Morris.

Was the track always elevated? The gound level on either side of the track is even with everything else but the tracks are 15 feet above ground. Did the RVRR construct the elevated track when they built the railroad?

Id like to see what the town looks like without that. It really cuts the town in half.
Off-topic:

Hey, RVRR Resurrected! The Darkness were on Letterman last night! Didja catch it?