• Official Rahway Valley Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by CGRLCDR

This isn't really an M&E issue but it relates to the SIRR. Someone else made a post regarding the Susquahanna and provided a link to this website which has some great old photos. http://www.thebluecomet.com/nysw.html

A couple of the photos show the a Susquahanna train on the SIRR in the 1990s.....

http://www.thebluecomet.com/nysw120cranjct91.jpg

http://www.thebluecomet.com/nysw1804cranjct91.jpg

by cjl330

There is all new track on the RVRR between Route 28 in Roselle Park, and Kenilworth Blvd. in Kenilworth, with the exception of some grade crossings. There is also new track between the junkyard just north of Route 22 and the bridge near Meisel Ave. in Springfield.

by cjl330

The track gang is currently working on both sides of Kenilworth Blvd. Today they were removing the rails and the ties on the portion directly in front of the A&P.

by Sir Ray

cjl330 wrote:The track gang is currently working on both sides of Kenilworth Blvd. Today they were removing the rails and the ties on the portion directly in front of the A&P.
I always thought those tracks were relaid with new ties etc whenever the A&P was built (and the tracks rerouted)- less than 10 years ago? I guess I was wrong.

by CJPat

I thought that section of track was rebuilt when Volco Brass came down and the sidings were removed (late '80's?). I was of the understanding that it had something to do with avoiding the contamination that the Volco property was segregated for. I think they eventually excavated the soil and replaced it. The track was relaid at that time to go around where the environmental work was to be done, hence the small zig-zag of the rails.

I may be wrong.

by TheBaran

I was driving up Michigan Avenue on January 10 and noticed that new rail was installed between the small segment of track between Michigan Avenue and Faitoute Avenue. This was surprising in that this small stretch had some of the more significant encroachments. Near Faitoute, a homeowner extended their side yard to include the right of way. Grass was planted, and mowed, between the rails, shrubbery was planted across the tracks and a fence was erected across another portion (very nice looking yard, with two rusty rails running through). The other section was used by a home heating oil company as a parking lot for their trucks. I figured that this section would be the last to get done due to the level of encroachment.

The crews came through, dug up the old track and put in new track. Of interest, the new track was connected to the old rail within the Faitoute Avenue crossing. It appears that the crossing will not be re-built. Also, one of the NIMBYs have just recently placed a hand-drawn "Stop The Train" sign on the Faitoute Avenue crossbucks (includes a drawing of tracks with a stop sign symbol).

by njt4172

TheBaran wrote:I was driving up Michigan Avenue on January 10 and noticed that new rail was installed between the small segment of track between Michigan Avenue and Faitoute Avenue. This was surprising in that this small stretch had some of the more significant encroachments. Near Faitoute, a homeowner extended their side yard to include the right of way. Grass was planted, and mowed, between the rails, shrubbery was planted across the tracks and a fence was erected across another portion (very nice looking yard, with two rusty rails running through). The other section was used by a home heating oil company as a parking lot for their trucks. I figured that this section would be the last to get done due to the level of encroachment.

The crews came through, dug up the old track and put in new track. Of interest, the new track was connected to the old rail within the Faitoute Avenue crossing. It appears that the crossing will not be re-built. Also, one of the NIMBYs have just recently placed a hand-drawn "Stop The Train" sign on the Faitoute Avenue crossbucks (includes a drawing of tracks with a stop sign symbol).

A hand drawn sign?? I'm sure it is easy to just pry it off the crossbucks with your hands... If not, you should!

Steve

by norbkowa

If you want to see it just go to my website www.norbertoksana.com it explains everything and shows progress. And crossings will be redone its just a temporary job to get machines across the street.

by njt4172

norbkowa wrote:If you want to see it just go to my website www.norbertoksana.com it explains everything and shows progress. And crossings will be redone its just a temporary job to get machines across the street.

Wonderful pictures there!! Keep them coming!

Steve

by rvrrhs

norbkowa wrote:If you want to see it just go to my website www.norbertoksana.com it explains everything and shows progress. And crossings will be redone its just a temporary job to get machines across the street.
Hi, norbi! Glad you finally came over to "The Dark Side" [from railfan.net]!

Those here who don't also visit there will soon be glad to see your informed info.

I leave it to you to reveal your "secret identity" or not.

Again, welcome.

by norbkowa

HEhe secret identity
WEll i am glad that people like my site and soon i will have even more updates on my site so keep checking it because pictures are already waiting to be uploaded to it.

by TheBaran

njt4172...

If the sign survived the rain, I'll mark it up the same way I did to one that was attached to a Michigan Avenue crossbuck some time back...grab a marker, add the word "For" and change the NIMBY "Stop The Train" sign to an Operation Lifesaver "Stop For The Train" sign.

by rvrrhs

I'm working on getting some "Start the Train" stickers and buttons ready for cafepress.com. I'll let y'all know...

by Sirsonic

Looks like things are about to hit the block, to use a railroad term.....

-->After spending nearly $10 million repairing two rail lines through central Union County, railroad officials say that without another $10 million to $15 million, the project cannot be completed.

Whether the project has reached the end of the line, no one is saying. But none of the potential funding agencies gave any indication last week that more money will be forthcoming.

Utilizing $7.5 million provided by the state Department of Transportation in 2003, Union County contracted with the Morristown & Erie Railway to revitalize two long-unused rail freight routes through the center of the county, the Staten Island Railroad and the Rahway Valley Line.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/union/ind ... xml&coll=1

I now return to my vow of silence on this thread.
  by njt4172

The money is almost all spent, the project isnt done, and now their trying to find more funds, but so far nobody wants to put up more money.

-->After spending nearly $10 million repairing two rail lines through central Union County, railroad officials say that without another $10 million to $15 million, the project cannot be completed.

Whether the project has reached the end of the line, no one is saying. But none of the potential funding agencies gave any indication last week that more money will be forthcoming.

Utilizing $7.5 million provided by the state Department of Transportation in 2003, Union County contracted with the Morristown & Erie Railway to revitalize two long-unused rail freight routes through the center of the county, the Staten Island Railroad and the Rahway Valley Line.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/union/ind ... xml&coll=1

The M&E cant do this project on their own, they recently laid some track and mechanical people off, and more layoffs may still come...