Railroad Forums 

• Official Rahway Valley Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#182935  by GOLDEN-ARM

Welder, when I worked the RVRR, along with fellow crewmen, believe me, we scooped up whatever "slim-pickin's" that were left. Anything like a switch lock, would be rusted solid by now, into an almost unrecognizeable mass of junk. Tools are long gone, and rails and such, cannot be proven as to be "original" RVRR stuff. Date nails, if you find any, might hold some value. We cleaned out the old roundhouse (squarehouse?) and even removed the locos, and passenger car, that was the last office of the RVRR. The stuff that is worth anything, is already in the hands of the ex-employees, or collectors already. (you didn't catch my sale, last year, on eBay, of a set of original RVRR 70 ton GE operating handles, given to me by the last "real" RVRR engineer, did you?) I know one NYSW engineer, with an original GE 70 ton operating manual, from tthe RVRR. I sold my keys, and locks as well, as well as any old timetables, and books from the RVRR. If you have anything, from the RVRR, you might try the RVRR historical society, for info about it, or sell it on eBay, where it will sell for whatever it's worth. Regards :wink:

#183113  by railroadcarmover

Golden Arm, I have the maintence log books and parts catalog that were for the 2 tonners. I found them in a pile of garbage outside the enginehouse before it was to be torn down.
They have been in my attic ever since.

#183139  by TheBaran

Roselle NIMBY has a letter to the editor posted in the Union County section of the Sunday Star Ledger (November 6); title of letter "Stored Freight Cars Nuisance to Area". She notes that the cars are a danger to Roselle children who have been seen playing on them. She also notes that nothing in the contract between M&E and Union County allows for the storage of rail cars.

Got to love these NIMBYs. First they voice concerns about mile-long freight trains running thru town at 60 mph cutting school busses in half. Now danger lurks with cars sitting on the track. Never dawned on this person that the children are trespassing and better parenting, or policing, would solve the problem. Also, nothing in the contract with M&E allows the storage of rail cars, but nothing likely prevents it.

#183141  by CNJFAN

You said it right Baran.
BETTER PARENTING!!!!!!

#183177  by rvrrhs

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:If you have anything, from the RVRR, you might try the RVRR historical society, for info about it, or sell it on eBay, where it will sell for whatever it's worth. Regards :wink:
The Rahway Valley Railroad Historical Society is not yet at a point where it can accept donated items, not to mention purchasing anything for its own collection. As to judging the value of any items, eBay or a rail memorabilia show would be the place to get valuations.

In the meantime, if you sell anything on eBay (or elsewhere), please make the purchaser aware of our existence so we might one day borrow or buy these items.

#183449  by cjl330

The rails and ties have been removed between Market St. and Michigan Ave. in Kenilworth. The right of way will be graded, and then new rails and ties will be put down shortly after.

#183667  by Sir Ray

And with a new start comes an old question: Has Any work been done recently (within the last month or so) on the grade crossing signals, at least along the SIRR branch (which I have read in past threads was a major hold-up to regular service)?

#183767  by Tri-State Tom

330 -

Google maps seems to suggest that the ROW goes right thru the intersection of Market & Forrest streets. Any old rail imbedded in the intersection there or any work underway suggesting how this intersection will be reconstructed ?

#183849  by Sir Ray

Tri-State Tom wrote:330 -

Google maps seems to suggest that the ROW goes right thru the intersection of Market & Forrest streets. Any old rail imbedded in the intersection there or any work underway suggesting how this intersection will be reconstructed ?
Did you meant Market & Fairfield Ave. (as per Google Maps) - as the ROW does actually cross this intersection diagonally (there is some rail buried in the dirt driveway of the business on the Southwest corner of the intersection, which then angles 45degrees to the intersection (I don't remember how close it gets to the asphalt of Market/Fairfield - apparently there is rail visible in the actually intersection itself) - and then the rail appears again buried in the dirt driveway of the business on the NE corner of the intersection, heading through and beyond the gate that spans the driveway. Traffic control may be easier than in decades past as a traffic signal replaced the stop signs a few years ago.
I think there are pictures in the Stop the Freight website - yes, page 2 :-D http://www.stopthetrain.org/photopdf/kenilworth.pdf

#183857  by Tri-State Tom

Yes ( Senior moment on 'Forrest' )....thanks.

BTW, how is that #10 building gonna be resolved....that looks very tight !

#183868  by CJPat

I don't see any resolution necessary for #10 Market St. That is the backside of the building. I have been to a number of industrial sites where the tracks pass close (and I don't necessarily mean the on-site siding trackage). That there is nowhere near tight.

The business may be new and renting the backside of the building as their frontage, but the building probably dates back to late '50s early '60s and has co-existed witht he railroad for a long time and there were never any issues with the rail even during the busy times on the old Rahway Valley.

For safety sake, the building owner (or possibly the railroad) probably should develop a formal parking lot edge that prevents vehicles from overhanging the tracks and then build a formal sidewalk with crossbucks (I've seen it done that way).

The few trains will be relatively short, slow trains anyway, not 50 mph speeders.

#183921  by Al Holleuffer

Ah, now I know who railroadcarmover is. You gave yourself away with the info about the 70-Tonner logs and parts catalogues. I'll keep it to myself, though. See you onboard my train next time.

I also know Golden Arm. He and I worked on another railroad together years back.

#184083  by Sir Ray

CJPat wrote:I don't see any resolution necessary for #10 Market St. That is the backside of the building. I have been to a number of industrial sites where the tracks pass close (and I don't necessarily mean the on-site siding trackage). That there is nowhere near tight.
As of a few weeks ago, the trackage layout of #10 market was already semi-resolved, as they had dug up the old track and laid new (no ballest at the time, although this may have since been corrected) - piles of dirt laid on the west side of tracks (the side away from the building). Temporary dirt driveway across the new tracks to reach the building.
I agree that they should put some concrete parking space blocks/bumpers when those piles of dirt are removed (probably to recover the tracks) - and knowing the remarkable propensity of grass and flora to reestablish itself and grow along a railroad ROW a year from now you won't even realize the ground was disturbed for relaying trackage.