Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Is MNCR scheduling a "Farewell to the M2/M4/M6" trip in the coming months?

Remembering the 1100 ACMU Farewell Trip's patronage - a big rail enthusiast get-together
there would be definite interest for a fan trip like this and many remember how well that
MNCR planned and ran that trip that time...

MACTRAXX
  by DutchRailnut

non planned, but you have about month and half to schedule your own last ride !!
  by Noel Weaver

As the weeks go on there will probably be fewer and fewer trains to ride with this equipment, I wouldn't wait too long to do it if it is important to you.
Noel Weaver
  by runningwithscalpels

Do you think the last run with the equipment will be even remotely publicized like the last bar car run or no?

(Honestly I couldn't care less, but I see how that could be helpful for interested parties)
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

I would think so. They're historically significant vehicles and the publicity over their replacement was big news to the general public who've been watching this saga for years. Last ride would definitely draw out the back-slapping dignitaries who helped fund this and probably more general-purpose gawker interest than just the railfans because of all the press coverage the M8's have gotten. For political brownie points and some badly-needed good PR after a miserable couple years I can't see MNRR or CDOT passing up the opportunity for a good-feelings photo op. They kind of need this.

Of course...your chances of getting a ticket for that last run are very poor given the interest, so I think the point of recent discussion is that you'd better act now and catch a regularly-scheduled train while the odds are still favorable for catching a set. Because once a few more get retired they're going to be very rare and hard-to-predict, and you'll have ceded control over planning the date/time of your last run.
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Tue May 26, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Immediately preceding nested quote
  by gregorygrice

As long as you have any New Haven Line Ticket to/from Stamford or points east to GCT on hand you can just wait for it and hop on. Its not like they'll have reserved tickets for the thing.
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Tue May 26, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Immediately preceding nested quote
  by ACeInTheHole

Uhh. Pretty sure she knows she can do that Greg. Don't think she was born yesterday.
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Tue May 26, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Immediately preceding nested quote
  by runningwithscalpels

Hence the "I couldn't care less, but for interested parties comment..."

I think the issue here is with all the foamer interest in addition to media interest (which, face it, will be less but probably still considerable) if/when the last old-stuff revenue run is publicized, that train will be packed to the freakin gills, which I think is the point F-Line was trying to make, not that it's expected that reserve tickets be sold.

As for me, I expect my Friday afternoon Stamford Slowcal to Fordham to have tomato cans for at least the next few weeks, and that's enough for me. You couldn't pay me enough to get near the last bar car run, let alone the last revenue run of the 2/4/6's period. Not enough mops in the world for all that foam.
  by gregorygrice

I know that Ace. I was replying to what F-Line said. :-D
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Tue May 26, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Immediately preceding nested quote
  by Travelsonic

SoI saw 8934-8935, looks like they had a M6 D car stuck between them... unless I misread the car numbers.
  by Travelsonic

What is the current status of the M2/M4/M6 fleets, so far as how many are left in service?
  by Fan Railer

Travelsonic wrote:What is the current status of the M2/M4/M6 fleets, so far as how many are left in service?
Just enough to run 4 of the weekend holiday shopper's special trains (http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/newM8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;):
http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/s ... v92014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fan them while you can.