Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Noel Weaver

My guess is that the railroad itself might try to publicize the last run of the M-2's simply to show that they are making progress. I would suggest watching the newspapers in Connecticut on a daily basis and their websites as well. I think that will probably be it. Before you know it, they will all be dead and buried.
Noel Weaver
  by R36 Combine Coach

There's really nothing remarkable about the M-2 Cosmopolitans to be worth honoring. The only historical value is they introduced high platform boarding. They have been in service every day since April 1973.
  by 4400Washboard

Noel Weaver wrote:My guess is that the railroad itself might try to publicize the last run of the M-2's simply to show that they are making progress. I would suggest watching the newspapers in Connecticut on a daily basis and their websites as well. I think that will probably be it. Before you know it, they will all be dead and buried.
Noel Weaver
Good point. I shouldve done spme research before asking lol (im lazy)
R36 Combine Coach wrote:There's really nothing remarkable about the M-2 Cosmopolitans to be worth honoring. The only historical value is they introduced high platform boarding. They have been in service every day since April 1973.
So what theres nothing historically important i'd like a last ride on the cars whether they have historical value or not
  by DutchRailnut

Then you better get out there fast, as its getting closer and closer.
Last time I looked and that was a few weeks back, we were down to less than 100 cars combined M-2/4/6.
  by chrisf

R36 Combine Coach wrote:There's really nothing remarkable about the M-2 Cosmopolitans to be worth honoring. The only historical value is they introduced high platform boarding. They have been in service every day since April 1973.
There's a lot of now-gone railroad equipment that was deemed unremarkable at the time of its demise, and is now lamented as being lost. It's amazing to me that something that was in use daily for 40+ years won't be saved. (Yes, I do understand the costs/space/hazardous materials issues involved.)
  by DutchRailnut

chrisf wrote:Yes, I do understand the costs/space/hazardous materials issues involved.)
I guess you do NOT understand, in todays litigious society MN/CDOT would be held accountable even if such equipment were to be donated to Museum.
Even with disclaimers, letters of intend etc.
  by 4400Washboard

DutchRailnut wrote:
chrisf wrote:Yes, I do understand the costs/space/hazardous materials issues involved.)
I guess you do NOT understand, in todays litigious society MN/CDOT would be held accountable even if such equipment were to be donated to Museum.
So in other words, the MNRR is responsible for all hazardous materials to be gutted out?

Im confused
  by DutchRailnut

MN is responsible for disposing of hazardous material thru a certified facility, only that facility could guarantee its proper disposal and 100% removal.
so MN can not donate anything with federal controlled hazard material in it.
the liability would not go away.
  by chrisf

DutchRailnut wrote:
No, I do understand that. Asbestos and PCBs were used in electrical equipment that's been preserved and nobody's getting sued over exposure to GG1s.
  by DutchRailnut

The GG-1's were disposed of way before current regulations took effect at that time only transformers needed to be drained or removed.
the M-2's still have trace amounts of PCB's in transformers but regulations are no longer were you just drain oil or remove transformer.
the asbestos is different matter as its in wall's near pantographs, the cars as far as MN/CDOT have been disposed off to cerified hazmat disposer, no donations.
Part of clause with FICX is, they can not sell or donate cause again it will get back to MN/CDOT if someone 20 years from now claims to get sick or improperly handles the hazmat.
  by 4400Washboard

DutchRailnut wrote:MN is responsible for disposing of hazardous material thru a certified facility, only that facility could guarantee its proper disposal and 100% removal.
so MN can not donate anything with federal controlled hazard material in it.
the liability would not go away.
Ok thanks for clarification DutchRailnut

Now it makes sense :-)
  by R36 Combine Coach

If anything, the M-6s are the ones holding historical value, being last new build DC traction cars in North America (1994) and the last of the M-series with the original 1968 Sundberg-Ferar designed body.
  by 4400Washboard

R36 Combine Coach wrote:If anything, the M-6s are the ones holding historical value, being last new build DC traction cars in North America (1994) and the last of the M-series with the original 1968 Sundberg-Ferar designed body.

and if i remember correctly 2 are being preserved for a fire training facility so they will (hopefully) make their way to a museum later in their life although that seems unlikely imvho
  by BuddR32

DutchRailnut wrote:The GG-1's were disposed of way before current regulations took effect at that time only transformers needed to be drained or removed.
the M-2's still have trace amounts of PCB's in transformers but regulations are no longer were you just drain oil or remove transformer.
the asbestos is different matter as its in wall's near pantographs, the cars as far as MN/CDOT have been disposed off to cerified hazmat disposer, no donations.
Part of clause with FICX is, they can not sell or donate cause again it will get back to MN/CDOT if someone 20 years from now claims to get sick or improperly handles the hazmat.
Isn't regulation grand? I'm all for not dumping this crap in the waters, and such, but lawyers make anything impossible.

I wonder how the LI got away with giving an M1 pair to the RR Museum of LI