Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Train538

The last in-service bar car (8667) was placed on 1578 instead of 1574 for the reason Dutch stated. I just found an article on The New York Times that included some pictures from the ride. It's sad that another era has just ended. Here's the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/10/nyreg ... .html?_r=0#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But for decades, passengers on the Metro-North Railroad have found a workaround amid the fake wood panels and lounge-style seating of the bar car — the space where everybody may or may not know your name, but none would dare cast a judgmental glare about that fourth beer before the Stamford station.

“The two words you don’t want to hear on the bar car,” said Steve Schleier, clutching his beer can en route to Fairfield, Conn., on Thursday evening. “Last call.”
  by 4400Washboard

Im sorry if this is a repeat question, but since M2s and M6s have been ruled out for preservation, how about the M4s?
  by R36 Combine Coach

There is already one M-6 set donated to emergency training by ConnDOT. As for the M-4s, they are probably too similar (plus the M-6s have a historical significance as being the last new build DC traction cars in North America).
  by 4400Washboard

R36 Combine Coach wrote:There is already one M-6 set donated to emergency training by ConnDOT. As for the M-4s, they are probably too similar (plus the M-6s have a historical significance as being the last new build DC traction cars in North America).
What do you mean by emergency training? Will it be preserved in a museum or institution/group that will keep the car in safe keeping and in a good/relatively good state of condition? Some things (Though not railroad related) are kept as fire trainers and very few make it out intact to a museum.
  by DutchRailnut

yes in pantograph area as its only insulation that will handle high voltage and moisture.
  by DutchRailnut

any trains that run on high voltage AC, maybe not on some of newer equipment like ACS46-alp45- alp46 etc.
  by DutchRailnut

Asbestos was curtailed but never really outlawed, it is still used in boiler rooms on ships etc.
Asbestos is a natural product, it comes in many forms, some more dangerous than others.
the problem is any asbestos containing equipment has to be disposed of properly and that last word is not by donation.
they can't risk some museum trying to remove the stuff in non-controlled environment.
  by Train538

One M6 triplet lacking logos and two M2 pairs were on the rear of CSXT Q351 yesterday. Waiting for response on exact car numbers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEarJ-lFUFI#t=110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(not my video)
  by runningwithscalpels

There was a whole string of M2's in CSO's yard next to the Meadows (Comcast, Xfinity...whatever it goes by this year) on Thursday including a bar car. Unfortunately all I had for a camera was my phone, and the sun was at an awful angle so numbers are illegible in all the pictures.

But if you want to look at them, have at it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/48383371@ ... 303431084/
  by 4400Washboard

If it means anything, when I went past the Stamford and New Haven yards early this morning, I saw only M8s-no old stock

Shame to see them go like this...

Is there going to be some farewell trip or something???????
  by runningwithscalpels

When on earth did you go by? I saw old stuff in Stamford around noon.

I can tell you for a fact there's old stuff hanging around in New Haven, although it gets scarcer by the day.

As for a farewell trip, I think most people (passengers and crew alike) are saying good riddance. I don't think there's a nostalgia for them like ACMU's. (Bear in mind, this is coming from someone who grew up ogling M2's in South Norwalk on field trips to the Maritime Center in the 90's.)

It would be nice if like the bar car run, it was publicized when the last Cosmopolitan car revenue run was, but that's probably the closest you're gonna get to a farewell.
Last edited by runningwithscalpels on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by 4400Washboard

runningwithscalpels wrote:When on earth did you go by? I saw old stuff in Stamford around noon.

I can tell you for a fact there's old stuff hanging around in New Haven, although it gets scarcer by the day.
I was there at 10 AM-I was driving so i couldn't see the whole yard, but i could the side facing the I-95

Note: i made a mistake with the time. Now corrected
Last edited by 4400Washboard on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.