Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Travelsonic

Wow, dodn't expect that few to remain now... that was fast - either that, or I've been so busy that I hadn't the time to notice recently XD.
  by gregorygrice

Theres way more than that. On my way down to GCT from NHV this past Wednesday I counted atleast 7 sets of the old cars and saw a couple more in GCT. There's at least 8-9 sets of them.
  by ACeInTheHole

gregorygrice wrote:Theres way more than that. On my way down to GCT from NHV this past Wednesday I counted atleast 7 sets of the old cars and saw a couple more in GCT. There's at least 8-9 sets of them.
That isnt terribly much. Yes, 70 or so cars left, but say 9 seperate sets for example as if that is the number, from Grand Central, outbound departures starting with the 5PM train, using seperate sets of all M2s hypothetically.. These 9 sets would only last you until the 5:33 train. The M6s especially are in the corner. I read that there is only two triplets and one D car wedged in a.. Well for site language policy im going to use the term Frankenstein triplet, where this particular M6 D car is wedged between two M4s, left.
  by gregorygrice

ACeInTheHole wrote:
gregorygrice wrote:Theres way more than that. On my way down to GCT from NHV this past Wednesday I counted atleast 7 sets of the old cars and saw a couple more in GCT. There's at least 8-9 sets of them.
That isnt terribly much. Yes, 70 or so cars left, but say 9 seperate sets for example as if that is the number, from Grand Central, outbound departures starting with the 5PM train, using seperate sets of all M2s hypothetically.. These 9 sets would only last you until the 5:33 train. The M6s especially are in the corner. I read that there is only two triplets and one D car wedged in a.. Well for site language policy im going to use the term Frankenstein triplet, where this particular M6 D car is wedged between two M4s, left.
I'm saying it's more than enough to go out during either peak hour and easily catch one.
  by Kurt

Sometimes you just get lucky. caught this set yesterday 12/30/14 southbound at Port Chester around 2 pm. Led by M2 8719
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by runningwithscalpels

I've gotten two sets in less than a week - one on the 4:51 out of Stamford on a Saturday, one on a holiday extra at 3:20 out of West Haven on New Year's eve (which according to the M8 page was pretty likely to happen anyway.)

It's all the luck of the draw! ^_^
  by DutchRailnut

after knowing they were gone disappear for last 3 years, you call riding in garbage "luck" ??
  by runningwithscalpels

DutchRailnut wrote:after knowing they were gone disappear for last 3 years, you call riding in garbage "luck" ??
I never said it was GOOD luck ;)
  by Bill D

I caught a set headed by 8747 on train #6513 Sunday morning. Sounded like it had a square wheel or two, but we made it into GCT on time, so that's all that matters.

Bill
  by ACeInTheHole

runningwithscalpels wrote:I've gotten two sets in less than a week - one on the 4:51 out of Stamford on a Saturday, one on a holiday extra at 3:20 out of West Haven on New Year's eve (which according to the M8 page was pretty likely to happen anyway.)

It's all the luck of the draw! ^_^
HAHAHAHAHAHA.. Oh yes, I remember how overjoyed you were with the Stamford set. HAHAHA
  by runningwithscalpels

jackintosh11 wrote:How many are still in service? Has a retirement date been set?
I still see plenty of them every Friday on my weekly 3 train slowcal trip to Fordham. And no.
  by Travelsonic

Went down to Manhattan the other day, and ended up taking the 2:26 out of Mamaroneck - which happened to be train operating with M2s and M4s. It ... actually... kinda felt refreshing riding the old cars again. Sure, the car I was in felt like it was swaying a bit where I was sitting, and I had to get reacquainted with doors between cars that kinda stuck, but other than that it wasn't too terrible.

Maybe it is just me, but it feels like there is a distinctly different sound made when an M2, M4, or M6 hits a rail joint, or is going over a switch, than what you hear when doing the same in an M8, am I imaging things?
  by Fan Railer

Travelsonic wrote: Maybe it is just me, but it feels like there is a distinctly different sound made when an M2, M4, or M6 hits a rail joint, or is going over a switch, than what you hear when doing the same in an M8, am I imaging things?
Yea, it's different. Not as muffled. The sound difference owes to the different suspension/truck design.