• Amtrak PR Media Plea for Crossing Safety

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jeff Smith

Thoughts?

https://media.amtrak.com/2024/05/articl ... -save-you/
Article: Use the Power of the Blue and Let the Sign Save You

As Chief Safety Officer at Amtrak, my day starts with a review of train performance and unusual occurrences. If one of our trains is involved in a crossing accident, I’ll ask if the incident could have been avoided and if there might have been time for someone to spot the blue sign and take action.

What is the blue sign I should find? Called an Emergency Notification System (ENS) sign, the blue sign provides emergency contact information at railroad crossings. This means that at locations where a road crosses railroad tracks, you will find an ENS sign. These signs provide necessary information to promptly report emergencies and stop train traffic when necessary. I repeat: Stop. Train. Traffic.

So, what can you do if you are stuck on or adjacent to train tracks?

If you are on a crossing and the crossing gates come down, drive through the gates
If your vehicle is stuck on the crossing or train tracks, get out of the vehicle immediately and step away from the tracks to a safe location
Locate the blue and white ENS sign
Call the emergency number on the sign
Read the location and crossing numbers to the dispatcher (also on the sign)
Find and remain in a safe spot away from the tracks and road until emergency personnel arrive
Railroad safety is public safety. Everyone is empowered to stop an operation when an unsafe condition exists and these blue signs extend that power to you too. So remember, it’s as simple as locating the blue sign, calling for help and communicating the location and nature of the emergency to the dispatcher.

Please, share the power of blue, tell others what you’ve learned and do your part to prevent a track tragedy so we can all save lives together.
  by jaymac

If this had been part of OLS outreach to schools and businesses, enough people might have had it as part of their knowledge base for it to be effective.
Most of the people caught at crossings won't be looking for the blue sign. In fact, the blue sign might not even register as an emergency-related item because blue so seldom is an emergency-related color.
A massive PSA program is one possible approach.
  by typesix

For older people, blue is an emergency color. Used to be blue emergency call boxes on many(?) city streets and some areas still have them.
  by Railjunkie

I do wonder if this has anything to do with the incident out near Buffalo where a family of three was killed that included a six? year old child :( . It has been a long time since I've been out there but I remember the road and the crossing. Possibly the entire incident could have been avoided following these simple instructions.
  by ExCon90

I certainly hope that Amtrak (and the AAR) are working with State DOTs to get this into the materials given to new drivers applying for a license. (Including the admonition that if there's no room for your vehicle on the far side of the tracks, stay on the near side until there is room.)
  by Railjunkie

This is the type of stuff that needs to be taught in Drivers Ed. Not even sure if most school districts offer the class any longer. I was taught about crossing safety in Drivers Ed only because we had four crossings in town and we drove over most of them in class. That and the B&M crossing was always malfunctioning. :-D
  by JimBoylan

Will the host railroad's Dispatcher also stop Amtrak trains if a call is received from the Emergency Notification System about a highway vehicle stuck on the tracks? Or, must a 2nd call be made to Amtrak?
Years ago, an oversized load got stuck on a grade crossing in Florida. Someone called Family Lines System and was assured that none of their freight trains were nearby. A few minutes later, an Amtrak Silver Service train hit the truck.
  by Railjunkie

JimBoylan wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:03 pm Will the host railroad's Dispatcher also stop Amtrak trains if a call is received from the Emergency Notification System about a highway vehicle stuck on the tracks? Or, must a 2nd call be made to Amtrak?
Years ago, an oversized load got stuck on a grade crossing in Florida. Someone called Family Lines System and was assured that none of their freight trains were nearby. A few minutes later, an Amtrak Silver Service train hit the truck.
Once the call is made the dispatcher/RTC of that territory is notified they look at the pretty little lights on their screen and notify ALL trains approaching the issue at hand. How fast and how close you are told is whether or not you are stopping. If you are given the ever given the popular operate "looking out" for a possible ??? at ??? you as an engineer may not have a full picture.
  by Ken W2KB

typesix wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:38 am For older people, blue is an emergency color. Used to be blue emergency call boxes on many(?) city streets and some areas still have them.
still are being instaolled today: "Hudson County OKs $1 million to expand emergency blue light phones to more parks" https://www.nj.com/hudson/2022/08/hudso ... parks.html