• NYSW to own CEFX leasors

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by scottychaos

Jtgshu wrote:Nice work scott That looks great!!!!

Id like to see a lightening stripe zig zag from just behind the cab and then just in front of the radiators with SUSQUEHANNA bold and italitized and lowered a lil bit, with Maroon and cream safety stripes on the front and back hood ends with a larger S logo would be sharp too

But I also think the bumblebee scheme is also very very classy, so either way the locos are gonna look great
thanks!
yeah, obviosuly there would need to be some safety/visability changes that I didnt include on the drawing..
some kind of tiger stripes on the pilot/snowplow.
yellow edges to the steps.
yellow or orange handrails at the pilots/steps.
I could have added those, but didnt bother! ;)
If NYSW ever does in fact choose such a scheme, obviously they will have to tweak it that way..
I was just going for the overall look..

lightning stripe? hmmm..interesting..
I will see how it looks!
Scot
  by Steve F45

Scotty, i was trying to find someone to do that scheme when I first heard the rumors a few weeks ago. That just looks great.

And Kingfish, thanks for the info on which cabs.
  by Steve F45

Scotty r u the one who painted that up? If so, how about a silver and green also but at the rear instead of arching down, keep its solid wrapping around the long hood with a silver "S" ball.
  by scottychaos

Steve F45 wrote:Scotty r u the one who painted that up? If so, how about a silver and green also but at the rear instead of arching down, keep its solid wrapping around the long hood with a silver "S" ball.
Steve, yep, its mine! :)
started it last night, when I saw a few people mention they would like to see the classic NYSW scheme on a SD60,
so I painted one up! ;)

silver and green? hmmm..just curious, why silver and green?
that isnt a historic NYSW scheme..

Scot
  by sportsguy

If you want to paint them in the old scheme, paint it on one of the locomotives as a heritage unit. Paint the rest in the regular scheme.
  by Steve F45

May not be historic but they did run them on the alco''s. Thought it would look interesting. But the cream and maroon works. Could you do one with the rear of the long hood having a sold stripe wrapping aroud with a cream "S" ball? Seriously giving it thought to do the 1 SD60 I have in the maroon and cream now that I saw that pic.
  by scottychaos

Steve F45 wrote:May not be historic but they did run them on the alco''s. Thought it would look interesting. But the cream and maroon works. Could you do one with the rear of the long hood having a sold stripe wrapping aroud with a cream "S" ball? Seriously giving it thought to do the 1 SD60 I have in the maroon and cream now that I saw that pic.
Alcos in green? are you sure? I have never heard of this before..
the only green I can think of that ever ran on NYSW was the Burlington Northern units before they were repainted..
which alcos?

I will do your modified scheme tomorrow and post it!
This scheme on the RS1's had the cab in maroon down to the bottom of the cab..
I tried that on the SD60 drawing but I didnt like the way it looked, so I switched it back..

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nysw/nysw231jza.jpg

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nysw/nysw231ajz.jpg

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1928/rs1no240jn3.jpg

(the Tioga Central unit is a repaint, not original NYSW paint.)

Scot
Last edited by scottychaos on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Steve F45

if i remember correctly, the RS1's with "NYSW" on long hood were painted silver with green lettering and side sills. Not sure abot trucks. I thought there was one that had the large band similar to the maroon and cream.
  by kingfish

ontheground wrote:King - Sd40 in maroon and cream would be nice but an RS-1 would be better! So the units comming out of VMV will be rebuilds? Glad to see that the company is actually investing in its used power rather than a stencil and new numberboard rebuild. - Derailed

SD60s to work with the current 40-2. I am going to show Scots illustration to my management and see what their reaction is. I like the idea of going to a modified "heritage" scheme. There have been many changes since Mr. R. passed and this may be a mechanism to show them.
  by Alek9997

As much as I like the Yellow Jacket, that scheme just takes the cake. Nice Job.

Alek S.
  by scottychaos

kingfish wrote:
SD60s to work with the current 40-2. I am going to show Scots illustration to my management and see what their reaction is. I like the idea of going to a modified "heritage" scheme. There have been many changes since Mr. R. passed and this may be a mechanism to show them.
nice, please let us know what they say! :)
Scot
  by Steve F45

kingfish wrote:SD60s to work with the current 40-2. I am going to show Scots illustration to my management and see what their reaction is. I like the idea of going to a modified "heritage" scheme. There have been many changes since Mr. R. passed and this may be a mechanism to show them.
Nice!!! Would you be able to elaborate on what was factor for choosing SD60's? And will they be the CEFX ex SOO SD60's or another former roadname? Anything you can share with us railfans and modellers of the NYSW is always appreciated.
  by kingfish

I'll answer the first question tonight.

SD60 vs SD70

60 have lower maintenance costs due to the following:
D87 traction motors average repair costs $11-15K, D90 on the 70 run 25-40K
HTC trucks versus HTCR self steering trucks. The SD70 trucks are 3X on dollar maintenance.
AR11 traction alternator average repair costs $15-22K, AR20 on the 70 $40-100K.
Standard wheel sets ($4k) versus integral roller bearing ($7-12K).
Performance curve is essentially the same for 3800HP versus 4000HP on our railroad.
Diesel engine maintenance is less account the 60does not utilize EFI and EMDEC to control engine response.

SD60 versus SD40
25-40% more hauling capacity
10-12% more fuel efficient under comparable tonnage conditions.
17% more tractive effort at identical speeds.
Maintenance costs are similar in labor and material.
Fewer units required to perform the same work.
  by Steve F45

WOW amazing stuff. Thanks King. Looking forward to these beasts next year.

Will 3010 and the 45's be back on the rails? And when you meant 40-2, 3020 isn't in that group is it? LOL
  by scottychaos

Concerning the Maroon & Creme scheme..
What was that scheme used on?
I cant find any references to any S2's or RS1's having been in that scheme..
I think they were delivered in Maroon and light Grey.

The book "New York Susquehanna & Western" by Robert Mohowski has a painting of a Maroon & Creme motorailer on the cover..
but the inside of the book says they were delivered in Maroon & Grey..

also, from page 92 of that book:

"On May 17, 1940, just prior to the equipment contract with the Erie,
Kidde issued an order to paint structures and passenger equipment in
gray and maroon. The colors were chosen, it was said, because they were
the colors of his alma mater, Stevens Institute of Technology, where he
served on the board of trustees. (In fact, Steven's colors are "cardinal red"
and "silver grey")"

So Maroon & Grey is definately more common and "official" than Maroon & Creme..
and I think all the S2's and RS1's were originally delivered in Maroon & Grey.
Was the Maroon & Creme an experimental (or just "less common") scheme used on only a few pieces of equipment perhaps?
if so, anyone know which ones?

Of course, SD60's in Maroon & Creme is still perfectly legit! ;)
as long as the NYSE used that scheme on *something*..which they apparently did..but im not sure what?

(and actually..its legit no matter what! ;) there is no rule saying a new scheme cant be invented!
and it would still clearly be a "heritage" type of scheme..which are always open to interpretation..)

thanks,
Scot