• NYSW to own CEFX leasors

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by waldwickrailfan

scottychaos wrote:Going back through several threads and forums, I have compiled what I believe is the current status of the "CEFX leasers"..
(im working on updating my NYSW roster page)

November 2011 - a set of CEFX GP20D units are being leased by NYSW, CEFX 2010 and 2029

November 2011 - Five CEFX SD40M-2 units are also now on NYSW, also leased..these were originally SP and ATSF SD45's.
the five SD40M-2's are CEFX 3124, 3126, 3131, 3143 and 3147, all in the CEFX blue scheme and with their original SD45 carbodies.

November 2011 - and an 8th CEFX leaser, SD40-2 CEFX 3108, in Grey.

November 2011 - and the next big "CEFX leaser" news of 2011, reports state NYSW will perhaps be buying as many as Eight SD60 units from CEFX!
As of November 2011, this news is all still nebulous..more details as they become available.

corrections welcome.
thanks,
Scot
the SD40M-2's and 3108 have been on NYSW property since early July.
  by Steve F45

waldwickrailfan wrote:
scottychaos wrote:Going back through several threads and forums, I have compiled what I believe is the current status of the "CEFX leasers"..
(im working on updating my NYSW roster page)

November 2011 - a set of CEFX GP20D units are being leased by NYSW, CEFX 2010 and 2029

November 2011 - Five CEFX SD40M-2 units are also now on NYSW, also leased..these were originally SP and ATSF SD45's.
the five SD40M-2's are CEFX 3124, 3126, 3131, 3143 and 3147, all in the CEFX blue scheme and with their original SD45 carbodies.

November 2011 - and an 8th CEFX leaser, SD40-2 CEFX 3108, in Grey.

November 2011 - and the next big "CEFX leaser" news of 2011, reports state NYSW will perhaps be buying as many as Eight SD60 units from CEFX!
As of November 2011, this news is all still nebulous..more details as they become available.

corrections welcome.
thanks,
Scot
the SD40M-2's and 3108 have been on NYSW property since early July.
Dam thats when they started appearing? Feels like it was only a few weeks ago.

And Kingfish, can't wait to here your report!
  by lvrr325

If you ever wondered why railroads tend not to care for railfans....

I'd think it more likely they'd take an option to buy the units already on the property, but applying logic to these things is chancy at best. One thing SD60s do offer is more time, what with new emissions standards (EPA regs if I remember right) and all I think they can be used more or less as built for longer before an overhaul would require them to meet the new standards.
  by scottychaos

lvrr325 wrote:If you ever wondered why railroads tend not to care for railfans....
you mean railfans who speculate about locomotives and such, on internet forums, for fun, as a hobby, based on only what they can observe..
railfans like..oh I dont know..you? ;)

(and me, and everyone..I dont see the problem with it..generally railroads dont pay any attention to us in the least..so whats the harm?)

Scot
  by Steve F45

lvrr325 wrote:If you ever wondered why railroads tend not to care for railfans....

and its the same way with people who chase fire fighters, police and ems to scenes to film them or just watch....Those in the field may not care for them, but they, the "fans" will always be there.

anyway, hopefully King can chime in tonight.
  by RichM

The EPA tier regulations so far as I understand them apply when older engines are rebuilt, the distinction is defining what is involved in a rebuilding and overhaul vs, regular maintenance and repair.

In principle a unit with fewer hours of running time will allow a longer serice life without having to meet the current regulations until it's identified as requiring a block tear-down. I'm not sure if a 710-series engine is any simpler to meet a current regulation that a 645. I'm not sure if anyone is marketing a successful rebuild program to meet Tier 2 requirements now.
  by sullivan1985

lvrr325 wrote:I'd think it more likely they'd take an option to buy the units already on the property, but applying logic to these things is chancy at best. One thing SD60s do offer is more time, what with new emissions standards (EPA regs if I remember right) and all I think they can be used more or less as built for longer before an overhaul would require them to meet the new standards.
They are not purchasing these units to be compliant with the EPA regulations. The SD60 is a Tier 0 locomotive. EPA Tier 1 regulations first came out in the second run on the SD70Ms with the SD70M-2/SD70ACe being the first to release with Tier 2.

Any locomotive can still be rebuilt as long as the prime mover is not lifted from the frame of the locomotive. After rebuild (if originally manufactured between 1973-2001) the locomotive must meet EPA Tier 0 regulations. Take the Metro-North GP40FHs for instance. When they where overhauled in the last few years they returned with badges on the side of the locomotives listing them as "Tier 0" compliant.
  by RS115

So Sully, am I interpreting correctly then that an older locomotive (say second generation Alcofor example built in the late 1960's) is exempt and can be rebuilt "in kind"? Or do they have to be brought up to some standard?

Thanks
  by ChrisU

sullivan1985 wrote:
lvrr325 wrote:I'd think it more likely they'd take an option to buy the units already on the property, but applying logic to these things is chancy at best. One thing SD60s do offer is more time, what with new emissions standards (EPA regs if I remember right) and all I think they can be used more or less as built for longer before an overhaul would require them to meet the new standards.
They are not purchasing these units to be compliant with the EPA regulations. The SD60 is a Tier 0 locomotive. EPA Tier 1 regulations first came out in the second run on the SD70Ms with the SD70M-2/SD70ACe being the first to release with Tier 2.

Any locomotive can still be rebuilt as long as the prime mover is not lifted from the frame of the locomotive. After rebuild (if originally manufactured between 1973-2001) the locomotive must meet EPA Tier 0 regulations. Take the Metro-North GP40FHs for instance. When they where overhauled in the last few years they returned with badges on the side of the locomotives listing them as "Tier 0" compliant.
What is an EPA Tier 0,1,2 I've heard about them before but I don't know what they are.
  by Sid Farkus

Saw that CEFX 6010 is currently at the Juniata shops. Would this have anything to do with any of the SD60 rumors?
  by waldwickrailfan

Sid Farkus wrote:Saw that CEFX 6010 is currently at the Juniata shops. Would this have anything to do with any of the SD60 rumors?
6006 was also there about 2 weeks ago. im saying no. NS leases this unit(and 6006) for now